Wiki Posts
Search

Info overload, please help a brotha

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Smile Info overload, please help a brotha

OK guys n gals,

By my post count you can already tell that I'm new to the forum. I have been away from the RC hobby for a very long time. I used to learn what I needed to know from 56K dial up internet, if that explains anything...
My dilemma is this:

I want a good all-around vehicle. I want something 4X4, so I can play off road, but I might decide to go at it in a parking lot somewhere. I might jump it, roll it over, or drag race against the occasional buddy's buggy.

What would be some good ideas for consideration? I actually like Nitro... I'd like to buy something that needs a TX/RX so I can just use my Spektrum Dx3E

Please don't think I'm starting a war... I just want to weed through through all the endless learning and get to brass tacks.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Welcome back to the hobby !

off-road... 4x4...good all around....

Truggy seems to be the way to go
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm looking at a Revo. What's the consensus of this one?

Already broke in, lots a extras, and RTR. $200. Hows that sound?

Would it be much fun if I were to put street tires and foams on it?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

[QUOTE=crnext;10430606]I'm looking at a Revo. What's the consensus of this one?

Already broke in, lots a extras, and RTR. $200. Hows that sound?

Would it be much fun if I were to put street tires and foams on it?

Thanks,
Scott[/QUOT

Think you would like a truggy much more then a revo...had both..revo's are money hoggs and end up making pretty shelf queens..truggy might give your friends buggy a run for the money.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
Think you would like a truggy much more then a revo...had both..revo's are money hoggs and end up making pretty shelf queens..truggy might give your friends buggy a run for the money.
Also, truggies are a lot easier to work and can be more durable.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Kap,

I'm looking at different trugs now. How well would a truggy perform at rock crawling? just curious because when I said all around, I really mean all around. Kinda looking for a jack of all trades, master of none, so to speak.

Still think a truggy is the way to go? Its just that I have all these interests, but don't want to have a model for every thing I want to do with one. Kepp the discussion coming folks! Good stuff here!

Scott
Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Truggy is not going to be any good for rock crawling. If you want to do that I'd suggest getting a car specific for that purpose. Everything else you have said, truggy would be perfect.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ratjayfala
Truggy is not going to be any good for rock crawling. If you want to do that I'd suggest getting a car specific for that purpose. Everything else you have said, truggy would be perfect.
Also, a Revo won't be any better or worse at rock crawling than a truggy.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

If your after rock crawling I would say a summit. From what i understand there good trucks and they can crawl.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

rock crawling and nitro are a poor match.
If rock crawling is important to the mix............an E-Truggy or E-Monster truck might be more versatile.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Revos are cool. I think you would probably have fun with it. I broke one in for one of my wife's friends kid and it was neat blasting around the neighborhood. It has reverse and a 2 speed so its pretty fun. Its not exactly a crawler but give it a pile of rocks and I bet you could have some fun spinning your wheels to the top.

I dont know much about bashers but if they make an E-Revo that may be an even better choice as someone mentioned already an electric is going to be more controllable in a crawling situation plus with the right setup you could also have even more power and speed then the nitro version too.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Revos are cool. I think you would probably have fun with it. I broke one in for one of my wife's friends kid and it was neat blasting around the neighborhood. It has reverse and a 2 speed so its pretty fun. Its not exactly a crawler but give it a pile of rocks and I bet you could have some fun spinning your wheels to the top.

I dont know much about bashers but if they make an E-Revo that may be an even better choice as someone mentioned already an electric is going to be more controllable in a crawling situation plus with the right setup you could also have even more power and speed then the nitro version too.
yep have to agree with that ^^^ if rock crawing is a must...e-revo would be a good way to go...they are fast too.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
yep have to agree with that ^^^ if rock crawing is a must...e-revo would be a good way to go...they are fast too.
Or a traxxas summit like I suggested. They have locking diffs and can be just as good as the revo or erevo, hell some people like the summit over any traxxas product..
Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Or a traxxas summit like I suggested. They have locking diffs and can be just as good as the revo or erevo, hell some people like the summit over any traxxas product..
aint played with a traxxas...in many years...love watching them beat them slashes up racing on the track...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Ask, and ye shall recieve.

Man, I love this forum. You guys are helpful. Like forums used to be. And not one person has said something derogatory yet. (Should I start the countdown?)

Thanks for the advice. I guess crawling ain't gonna be in my list of things to go after. But its like PTP said, give it a pile of rocks....
I bought this Revo.... had to. Guy sold it completely for way too little money to pass er by.

I think I'm in luv with it.

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.