R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 off road setup

I would like to ask you about the setup of my buggy.

I started from the basic setup ( but diff oil 5-5-3) but it has too much overstear on the entry of the turn and also on the exit of it as well.

I do not know from where to start. Ride height, change diff oils, roll center, downstops, springs, damping, pistons
caster, toe, roll bars?

When the buggy has more traction when the ride height is higher or lower?
When the buggy has more traction when it rolls more or less on the turn ?
It is better to have higher or lower roll center ?

Our track has small bumps and a couple of jumps but only one is really big..overall not very rough the racing line is clean and outside it is dusty.
mike80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Might help if you gave the Buggy you are running,

That will help people to give you more accurate info.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
Might help if you gave the Buggy you are running,

That will help people to give you more accurate info.
Xray xb808 2011.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike80 View Post
Xray xb808 2011.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...aneAdams_1.jpg

this setup made the car pretty tame for me, and easy to drive almost everywhere we went.
another nice shock setup: 450 front (35WT), 400 rear (32,5WT), blue grey springs front and rear, stock 1.3mmx 6 hole pistons front and rear, foam behind the bladder.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ride height doesnt change traction but the relation of the front and rear ride height does effect balance because of weight being distributed differently. For instance raising rear ride height puts more weight toward the front giving the feel of more front traction.

A car has more traction when it rolls more in the corner. Its kinda the same theory as above the roll makes one side lower then the other and weight transfers and weight on tires gives traction. Changing sway bars is an often overlooked tuning option that is highly effective. When traction is low softer sway bars or even removing one (probably not good to remove both) will give a good amount more traction. Its usually the first change I make after tires.

As far as roll centers go I am still a bit confused after 12+ years of competitive racing. I dont even know which way I am going when I make an adjustment but it seems like lowering the inboard mounting position makes the car more forgiving and less likely to traction roll and moving the inboard up gives more traction but can make the car feel twitchy.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Roll center is kind of confusing because its kind of backwards. I just go by feel. I know that when my buggy starts getting loose I move the rear camber link down a hole on the shock tower and this achieves a higher roll center and tends to make the car feel more hooked up. I have never found myself moving up on the tower. The opposite applies for the front. When I find I need more steering I move the cars front camber link up and the steering really starts to come on. And if there is to much steering I go down in the front. Look up the xray set up guide or check out JQ's the set up. JQ is very knowledgeable on set up also.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Read this Whilst it is based on JQ Products The Car, it goes for all buggy's the same.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Two things check your front toe out. You might have too much. Next move your shocks to the outter hole on the arms. That should take away your steering but if you find that limits your steering too much go to 1 degree of toe out in the front.

Look at the Hudy set up guide online
Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
JQ
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beddo View Post
Read this Whilst it is based on JQ Products The Car, it goes for all buggy's the same.
Its not based on THECar, its for all buggies.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99problems View Post
Two things check your front toe out. You might have too much. Next move your shocks to the outter hole on the arms. That should take away your steering but if you find that limits your steering too much go to 1 degree of toe out in the front.

Look at the Hudy set up guide online
Thank you all for the answers.

I have already 1 degree of caster in front.

Can you tell particularly about xray xb808, is it good to limit the droop in order to avoid flipping on a high speed corner. I have heard that xrays drive better with full droop, is that correct?

When you say that if the car rolls have more traction, you mean traction roll ? I believe you mean chassis roll right?

I drive with ride height 25mm front 28mm rear with silver springs front - grey rear , if I make it 26 front 27 rear and replace grey with silver springs that will add more traction on the rear of the car in the turns ?

And a final question I use ultimate oils 55 front 50 rear many say that 55 is 550 cps and 50 is 500 cps is that correct?