R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default how do you treat tires?

I have heard of ppl treating tires from a hard compound to a soft compound just because they can get hard compound tires for cheap
rc273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Some people use simple green some use additives like sticky kicks they have a thread
Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Tech Adept

ok thank you..well i have heard of deisel, mineral spirits, and auto trans fluid combined but would that work?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have heard of the Deisel treatment,

But I've never tried that. Come to think of it, it might be worth trying next time I find a deal on hard tires

I usually use simple green and some of the old Buggy Grip2 that I had. Seemed to work ok, but sometimes it's just best to have the right compound

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ive used an old kart racing trick a couple of times and seemed to work really good. Gauged a set of AKA hards to about half way between a medium and soft. It was just an experiment but worked good for what I needed them too. As the Main went on, the tires stared to harden up. After 45 minutes, they gauged at 10 points softer than they originally were. The track was basicly sandpaper. It wore them about 2/3 of the way out.

On a nice sunny day, spray liberaly with WD-40 and let them sit out there in the sun for about 2 hours. Then wash good with simple green and hot water and BAM. Cheap and easy, just takes some time out of your day.

I used deisel on an indoor hardpack running slicks. Worked well. deffinetly softens them in a hurry. If you dunk and let them sit, it like melts the rubber kind of. looks like a pool of black goo.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc273 View Post
I have heard of ppl treating tires from a hard compound to a soft compound just because they can get hard compound tires for cheap
Go right to sticky kicks web site. Google it if need be. I bought the whole package deal. Different compounds for different track surfaces. Marinate them in a zip lock bag over night.... Love the stuff, smells good too. Lol
Upgrade rc/ Hilton hotels
dug44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
I have heard of the Deisel treatment,

But I've never tried that. Come to think of it, it might be worth trying next time I find a deal on hard tires

I usually use simple green and some of the old Buggy Grip2 that I had. Seemed to work ok, but sometimes it's just best to have the right compound
looking for any truggy tires?
amain has aka tires 4 tires for 20 no foams they are gridirons and cityblocks
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
looking for any truggy tires?
amain has aka tires 4 tires for 20 no foams they are gridirons and cityblocks
Always looking for tires. LOL. Yeah saw the special Amain has going. Have about 6 sets of new wheels waiting to be mounted up. Now if I just had the cash everytime I found a deal on tires. LOL.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Always looking for tires. LOL. Yeah saw the special Amain has going. Have about 6 sets of new wheels waiting to be mounted up. Now if I just had the cash everytime I found a deal on tires. LOL.
I hear that. My tire bill for PNB is over $400. Thats 4 sets each, Buggy and Truggy with wheels. Any type of motor sport revolves around tires. Pun intended.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
yea i hear ya there..bought a couple sets but i want more
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm13 View Post
I hear that. My tire bill for PNB is over $400. Thats 4 sets each, Buggy and Truggy with wheels. Any type of motor sport revolves around tires. Pun intended.
400? Man that almost sounds like a deal for a race like that.

This year while at the DNC in Az. I ran a set of the new Truggy EVO Gridirons in soft all week and still have plenty of tread left. Made my Tire bill seem cheap, yet the trip still costed more. Go figure

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
yea i hear ya there..bought a couple sets but i want more
There's always a deal somewhere on tires. Many times those deals always find you when cash is too low to take advantage of the deal. If I'd of had more cash at the Nitro Challenge this year I probably would have come home with a grip of tires. Maybe next year. LOL

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
There's always a deal somewhere on tires. Many times those deals always find you when cash is too low to take advantage of the deal. If I'd of had more cash at the Nitro Challenge this year I probably would have come home with a grip of tires. Maybe next year. LOL
lol nice! how was that race anyways..i watched the whole thing on liverc but it doesnt show the whole track up close or anything
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
lol nice! how was that race anyways..i watched the whole thing on liverc but it doesnt show the whole track up close or anything
As a whole the race was fun as always. Two main things this year were the running the three seperate tracks at one event. I don;t that's been tried before and I think Joey and the Dirt Crew learned a lot from just that. Second main thing was the lack of rain, no rain to be exact. I'm told that it always rains at the NC at some point, so no rain I think, made the event that much more better.

The Fear Farm track, more so the clay/dirt there was better than I thought it would be. The facility is top notch and the Fear Farm folks have gone the distance to make the facility as a whole, one of the best.

With near or at 700 entries for the event, I think it puts it as the biggest turnout for any offroad event (I could be wrong), and the only other event that is bigger in RC is the Snowbirds onroad race (I think). Well worth the trip to make the race.

Anyway back to the dirt. There's some rock in there, but not too much. Though some of the sparks off the chassis's in the Pro Buggy and Truggy mains were cool to see. Tire wise, I had little to go on with the event being at a new location. What info I did get was mainly from some of the local racers that were kind enough to post up what worked on here. Both tread type and compound. I'd say that the info was pretty much spot on. This was the first event that I have been to that one set of tires "could" get you through the week. The track wasn't really eating tires, though some of the top Pro's did go through a little more to keep the fast laps going. Many opted to run Hole Shots and I'd dont think they lasted, but were fast.

Like I said I ran Gridirons all week and while probably not the fastest tires to run, they worked well enough for me to feel good with them. For sure not the norm for a big event, but for the racers that can't afford one run sets, it was a welcomed thing to know one set for the event was doable.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Houston's Engine Service
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Couple of track pics,

Both were taken right after the Pro truggy A-main on Saturday night
Attached Thumbnails
how do you treat tires?-nc-pics.jpg   how do you treat tires?-nc-pics-2.jpg  

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e