R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #121
Tech Master
 
mebolson's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The 208
Posts: 1,007
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

I say let them build and race with "unobtanium" parts. This is how the cars progress. Racing is the best test bed for refinements. And remember, they are toy cars.
E
__________________
Support my small time online hobby shop
www.FactoryRCHobbies.com Custom Race Shirts and Pitmats Dealer for: Soar Seiki, T-Pro Racing Tires, Lipo Batteries, MIP Tools, VP-Pro Tools, and some other stuff
mebolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #122
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Melb, AU
Posts: 897
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebolson View Post
I say let them build and race with "unobtanium" parts. This is how the cars progress. Racing is the best test bed for refinements. And remember, they are toy cars.
E
If someone built a custom frankenstein chassis and used every part brand under the sun to complete the build and won that day... everyone would be a winner!
TRiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #123
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 4,517
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
I read through this page and I also read through page 1. I missed the middle pages, but I will give my opinion.

I personally think it is terrible that this happens in regards to consumer marketing. I do not know (as I didn't read everything) what Ty had on his car, however, the Hara win was a complete joke from my viewpoint in regards to the industry and I assume he isn't the only guilty party throughout the years.

In my opinion, if the car and the parts are not available for sale, then it should not count as a win. There is a point when it is obvious when someone like Dale Earnhardt won Nascar races, that obviously, a Monte Carlo at the dealership is not the same thing. But unfortunately in the rc world, it is assumed by the masses that the car that won can be bought off the shelf and can be driven by the customer and then expect a similar result.

Now certainly, the average consumer cannot drive like the big boys and Hara certainly does not deserve any less respect for what he did, but it is rediculous to play what wins on Sunday sells on Monday and then dupe the public like they did back then. My opinion is that months later they made a Hara edition just to save face.

Now, if Ty put a commercially available Lightning front end/rear end, etc... on the car, no issue. If Ty ran a hotbodies car and stuck Mugen axles in it because he thought they were better and disclosed it. No harm, no foul in my opinion.

I very specifically ask our people to let me know exactly what they are running and what they modified, but I am a strong believer in ethics. If it takes Kyosho springs and Mugen upper arms to win, so be it, but you can bet that Johnny customer can replicate the exact car on Monday if he wants to. then it is up to his skill level and talent to do the rest.

At what point does a rc car no longer become a car? If you replace the arms? towers? shocks? chassis plate? go by percentage? I think it is a legitimate concern when there is a full page ad saying "buy the winning XYZ brand" when the car that can be purchased is nothing like the one that won.
Mike,

Consumers could of built a "hara edition D8" in HB hop up parts which have been readily available since worlds 2008. The "Hara edition" D8 kit is simply all of the hop ups bundled up in one purchase now with the exception of the 3mm chassis (the original chassis was 4mm) nothing has change suspension geometry wise since the initial product launch in 2008.
__________________
Nick Vasquez
Tekin | Reilly Paint | Dirt Burner Racing | RC Clubhouse| Washtenaw RC Raceway | TARCAR | The Track
nv529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #124
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,846
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

The rules do not stipulate that a racer must race a car that is commercially available. The results sheets say "Hot Bodies", they do not say "Hot Bodies D8 with specific modifications" because they don't have to say that. Jesse Robbers finished second with a Hot Bodies car (CR8) that is completely unavailable to the public. Where is the outrage?

Prototype cars and parts are nothing new, in fact a big win with a box stock car is almost unheard of. If the car passes tech, then crosses the line first, then passes tech again. It's a win. End of conversation.
__________________
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head."

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #125
Tech Elite
 
spunkysandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,649
Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)
Default

exactly what mods does Ty's car have that is causing all of this outrage?
__________________
Tekno RC - VBC Racing D06 - Axial Rubicon and Wraith - SC10.2 - Hitec - Speed Passion - Werks - lrhhobbies.com
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #126
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
exactly what mods does Ty's car have that is causing all of this outrage?
just front and rear hotbodies lightening arms and drivshafts with the truggy rear tower, this hole thread is a joke. he won truggy also, anyone have excuses why he won that class also?, his truggy must have been "highly modded" also....LMAO

simple.........the guy can frick'in drive!!!
D-MAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #127
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,900
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
exactly what mods does Ty's car have that is causing all of this outrage?
I think they are arguing at what point does a car no longer be called the original OTS kit? So I guess what makes a D8, a D8? People just want the same car that Ty drove right now
__________________
Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4
TLR 22 3.0
Apex RC Proshop
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #128
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
I think they are arguing at what point does a car no longer be called the original OTS kit? So I guess what makes a D8, a D8? People just want the same car that Ty drove right now
all hotbodies parts pretty much makes it a hotbodies in my opinion. maybe he was useing mugen drive pins in his cvd's............oh no....now he was driving a highly modded mugen

i hope ty does not come on here and awnser any of this crap, its just the hotbodies haters looking for reasons why he won.

I run hotbodies also, but was hoping Dakotah Phend would win, he is a local racer and a super nice guy!

AWSOME JOB TY! YOU ROCK!
D-MAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #129
Tech Addict
 
v6shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bakersfield ,CA
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryder View Post
1/8 scale is laid back, lets keep it this way, plus everyone knows its all driver, he was the man at this event, period
+1 week in and week out do we all try to make our buggys as fast and handle as good as posible? I think this is silly talk.At the level these guys race and whats at stake(employment) .I dont know why people are so bent out of shape.I believe it stems from 2008 when hara won with d8 with hop ups and people also forget there were also three other d8 not as mod(short towers, short shocks) is it because its modded or its a hotboddies.I think it would be a diffrent story if it some other buggy ( ae,losi,mugen,kyohoso,xray etc won.Let ty enjoy his win because he was the best on that night
__________________
Xray xb9 , alpha A852 with 2081 pipe, b4, dualsky xc550mj,thunder power 17.5, futaba,Radiopost ts-401
v6shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #130
Tech Master
 
8ight-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,087
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAIN View Post
just front and rear hotbodies lightening arms and drivshafts with the truggy rear tower, this hole thread is a joke. he won truggy also, anyone have excuses why he won that class also?, his truggy must have been "highly modded" also....LMAO

simple.........the guy can frick'in drive!!!
Just to clarify...he also used Kyosho springs and rear shocks, and different shock towers.

I think it's great that Ty and his dad are testing and developing their car, and its obvious they have found something that works! I think its funny when people post that he could have won with a Redcat. At that level of racing when drivers' skill level are almost equal, any slight car advantage will make a big difference in lap times.
__________________
Palm Desert R/C Raceway - www.palmdesertrcraceway.com

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #131
Tech Addict
 
v6shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bakersfield ,CA
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyryder View Post
1/8 scale is laid back, lets keep it this way, plus everyone knows its all driver, he was the man at this event, period
+1 week in and week out do we all try to make our buggys as fast and handle as good as posible? I think this is silly talk.At the level these guy race and whats at stake(employment) .I dont know why people are so bent out of shape.I believe it stems from 2008 when hara won with d8 with hop ups and people also forget there were also three other d8 not as mod(short towers, short shocks) is it because its modded or its a hotboddies.I think it would be a diffrent story if it some other buggy ( ae,losi,mugen,kyohoso,xray etc won.Let ty enjoy his win because he was the best on that night
__________________
Xray xb9 , alpha A852 with 2081 pipe, b4, dualsky xc550mj,thunder power 17.5, futaba,Radiopost ts-401
v6shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #132
Tech Master
 
offroad dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,843
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Wow..... you guys are trying to argue a point to people who obvious don't race on a regular basis or some most likely don't race at all (BASHERS). That's why they don't understand the evolution of any race kit.

Heres the facts: Ty won, he used the best parts and setup possible for him to go fast and to win against 500+ people who was trying to do the same thing and for the people who do not understand why he put other than stock parts on his car " just keep leaning out your TMaxx or Redcat and have fun". And for the true racers, lets sit back and enjoy 2012 because I believe there will be a lot of new/updated kits released this year.

I think people are using this tread to get their post count up...
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #133
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 416
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad dude View Post
Wow..... you guys are trying to argue a point to people who obvious don't race on a regular basis or some most likely don't race at all (BASHERS). That's why they don't understand the evolution of any race kit.

Heres the facts: Ty won, he used the best parts and setup possible for him to go fast and to win against 500+ people who was trying to do the same thing and for the people who do not understand why he put other than stock parts on his car " just keep leaning out your TMaxx or Redcat and have fun". And for the true racers, lets sit back and enjoy 2012 because I believe there will be a lot of new/updated kits released this year.

I think people are using this tread to get their post count up...
+1, lets close this thread and let TY enjoy his WIN! or should i say WINS
D-MAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #134
Tech Champion
 
bigjayjay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,605
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default

I read most of the post the original post was specific to branding not the driver. If you rep a product with commercial sales via marketing your dealing with a public view. If you say I won with a D8 it should comparable to whats being offering or state the difference.

Reading and viewing the 411 it was very apparent he was running a modified kit this clearly tells the consumer its been modified from original . You cannot take his win away he won by driving using a modded kit.

I personally feel their should be rules applied to keep things consistent then you rely on a driver even more. You cannot say kit performance doesn't win races I often here "he could have won with a tonka toy" which is a stupid comment. If you watch all the high level races every possible edge matters your dealing with seconds per lap per driver it matters.
__________________
TEAM: SERPENT AMERICA DRIVER -ADVANTAGE RACING PRODUCTS-COMPETITION HEAT INC - HOBBYPRO, VPPRO - BCE-
Serpent: 811N, 811T, 811E

Last edited by bigjayjay1; 02-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.
bigjayjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #135
Tech Adept
 
counterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Save your strength.........................I'll cry for you.






Post count! LOL
__________________
HPI/Hot Bodies, Team Orion, VP fuels, Pro-line, OS Engines, Futaba, Full Throttle R/C Raceway www.ftrcr.com
counterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:39 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net