R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

LOL, The top post goes to Willbe and xxxntwv.

LOL both were good. I needed a good laugh today.

Willbe, if you can hang on to that Impala, I will be your crew chief.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #107
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ View Post
He won because he is a great driver, and his car was equally great. No he could not win with a redcat or just any random car. At this level the equipment needs to be spot on, because if it isn't, an equally talented driver with his equipment dialed will win.
That is a great statement.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #108
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think I understand what the o.p. was getting at, although it has been greatly polluted throughout the thread. In other words, how much of the factory kit has to remain for it to be legal? And the answer most have given has been that you can pretty much do what you want. So just buy an Associated and call it a Durango, (or Losi, or Mugen, etc.)? If you are allowed to modify anything or replace it with anything, then I guess it does not matter. I think at this weekends race I will call our RC8.2 a Redcat, so that when we lose I can blame it on a poor design
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #109
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rsickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmoe View Post
I dont think the intentions of this thread being started was dumb. I just think all the dumbness thats polluted it has made it a dumb thread.
Very true.

Drop Tessman and HotBodies from this conversation, then re-ask the question about ALL racers/manufacturers.

The unfortunate answer is it probably will never happen for a number of reasons. One is that people refuse to accept one governing body, so there'd be no consistent regulation. Another, racing is often times about product development for consumer level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
I think at this weekends race I will call our RC8.2 a Redcat, so that when we lose I can blame it on a poor design
Now you're onto something!
Rsickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #110
Tech Addict

[Drop Tessman and HotBodies from this conversation, then re-ask the question about ALL racers/manufacturers.

The unfortunate answer is it probably will never happen for a number of reasons. One is that people refuse to accept one governing body, so there'd be no consistent regulation. Another, racing is often times about product development for consumer level.

Very true people aren't seeing this isn't about Ty or HB at all just an observation that made a man ask a question. And one thing we are all told growing up,There are no stupid questions only stupid answers! And there are alot of those answers through out this.

Now Ty was on another planet last weekend!
Car not a D8 Hara but an Hb something lol! And no my car will not become one of these as it is plenty good as a D8 Hara kit no need to go chasing that magic setup or tires that probably won't work for me anyway.HB all day every day!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #111
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmoe View Post
And thats why I havent contributed to this thread lmfao
Guess what....you just did!!
bigmane42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm not going to contribute to the craziness is what I'm saying. There are many posts that are not in the context to what this thread was originally started for. The originators question has been anwsered and he now understands what the rules are when it comes to modding. But many have gone over board with there posts. Thats just my 2 cents
OS Speed VZB spec 2 worlds edition / Novarossi Legend 4 / Novarossi Elite 5
FUTABA 4PKS
rcmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #113
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martinez View Post
yea right i am sure thats what you were doing man. y didn't make a thread about the losi's new car and how the fact they let no one near there cars all weekend.
Hey pete u can go straight to u know what goes there i said it because neobuggy said in these words " heavily modified hotbodies car! Now if you want to discuss the subject further i will be glad to send u my number my friend. DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH trick!!!
bigmane42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmane42 View Post
Hey pete u can go straight to u know what goes there i said it because neobuggy said in these words " heavily modified hotbodies car! Now if you want to discuss the subject further i will be glad to send u my number my friend. DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH trick!!!
Had Losi won the race, chances are, one of the Losi Kool-Aid drinkers would have made a post. You can bet on it.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
I think I understand what the o.p. was getting at, although it has been greatly polluted throughout the thread. In other words, how much of the factory kit has to remain for it to be legal? And the answer most have given has been that you can pretty much do what you want. So just buy an Associated and call it a Durango, (or Losi, or Mugen, etc.)? If you are allowed to modify anything or replace it with anything, then I guess it does not matter. I think at this weekends race I will call our RC8.2 a Redcat, so that when we lose I can blame it on a poor design
This was not a sanctioned race by any governing body so he could pretty much run what he wanted to in accordance with the race promoters rules. That is what is great about 1/8 scale in most scenarios it is not the same as the more recent SCT Spec class stuff. Other sanctioning bodies do have limitations but mostly overall dimensions, etc. and not so much focused on the composition in most cases. ROAR does have some other regulations but this was not their event.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/8 scale is laid back, lets keep it this way, plus everyone knows its all driver, he was the man at this event, period
Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #117
psr
Tech Regular

it makes no diffrence what parts are on his car at all

its not the hb hara d8 cup its a race as long as

the dimensions weight engine size tyre size tank size etc are in regulations it makes no friggen diffrence he built a car he ran the car he raced the car now every tom dick and harry is chassing lighting pro parts

what wins on sunday sells on monday

he drove well and won we should give him max cudos
psr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #118
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmane42 View Post
PLEASE BIRDY
/FORT KNOX RC NYC/IRH RACEWAY/TEAM TIGHT TO THE PIPE RACING/
/TEAM RAMOS/
Pete Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #119
Tech Elite

I read through this page and I also read through page 1. I missed the middle pages, but I will give my opinion.

I personally think it is terrible that this happens in regards to consumer marketing. I do not know (as I didn't read everything) what Ty had on his car, however, the Hara win was a complete joke from my viewpoint in regards to the industry and I assume he isn't the only guilty party throughout the years.

In my opinion, if the car and the parts are not available for sale, then it should not count as a win. There is a point when it is obvious when someone like Dale Earnhardt won Nascar races, that obviously, a Monte Carlo at the dealership is not the same thing. But unfortunately in the rc world, it is assumed by the masses that the car that won can be bought off the shelf and can be driven by the customer and then expect a similar result.

Now certainly, the average consumer cannot drive like the big boys and Hara certainly does not deserve any less respect for what he did, but it is rediculous to play what wins on Sunday sells on Monday and then dupe the public like they did back then. My opinion is that months later they made a Hara edition just to save face.

Now, if Ty put a commercially available Lightning front end/rear end, etc... on the car, no issue. If Ty ran a hotbodies car and stuck Mugen axles in it because he thought they were better and disclosed it. No harm, no foul in my opinion.

I very specifically ask our people to let me know exactly what they are running and what they modified, but I am a strong believer in ethics. If it takes Kyosho springs and Mugen upper arms to win, so be it, but you can bet that Johnny customer can replicate the exact car on Monday if he wants to. then it is up to his skill level and talent to do the rest.

At what point does a rc car no longer become a car? If you replace the arms? towers? shocks? chassis plate? go by percentage? I think it is a legitimate concern when there is a full page ad saying "buy the winning XYZ brand" when the car that can be purchased is nothing like the one that won.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.

Last edited by hakmazter; 02-29-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: holy run on sentence......
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #120
Tech Elite

By the way, congrats Ty, that was a great race! You were wheeling, that is for sure and my comments and opinion have absolutely nothing to do with you and your success over the weekend.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote