R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #61
Tech Elite

Congratulations to HB and TY Tessman. He did awesome.

He had to wheel them to victory.

Everyone chasing a Canadian on the track is how it should be anyways.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
For me this discussion isn't as interesting as the other aspect not mentioned here:
If a layman, who doesn't know so much about racing, sees the results and sees that it says that a HB D8 won this race, and goes out and buys one - then when he builds it he realizes it is a completely different car, has he not got a right to feel cheated?
From reports on the HB thread it seems like the car isn't handling right out of the box, and it sounds like lots of people are putting the truggy shock tower on the back etc etc etc.
Basicly it sounds to me like the car just isn't right the way it comes out of the box.

If you compare this to say a Mugen MBX6/R/EU or Kyosho TKI2 or whatever, you are basicly getting much more near to the race winning cars.
Robert Batlle's Mugen isn't very different from the kit car, it's just setup adjustments and a set of swaybars and springs.

Basicly I feel this side of the Hotbodies debate has been lost here in confusion, where people have just shouted "are you ragging on Tessman" or whatever.

My point is:
Is it fair to portray this as a D8 winning a race, when clearly it isn't even close to what comes in the kit?
Thank u thats all i was saying i would never kill another guys success they took it to far thank u for clearing that up.
bigmane42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #63
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
He did, yes. And he deserves tons of credit for it..

The question though is, with which cars did he win?... Apparently ones which don't bear much resemblance to the ones sold in hobby shops under the same name. That's the issue..

So are the big races then more about the drivers, or more about the brands? If the former, fine.. But then you get into some pretty grey territory with marketing and advertising... And common sense, really.. I mean, it's the brands paying the drivers..
Remember, Pros don't run in a Spec class. All the vehicles are teched and no one wins without being legal. None of the top teams run out of the box stock vehicles. Do you reallyl believe otherwise? Some are just more secretive than others.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #64
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones4012 View Post
I dont think anyone is trying to take anything away from TY or Hot Bodies. Ty is one hell of a driver and is always a contender(especially at the Nitro Challenge). I just dont want to see Hot Bodies using this to try to sell their buggy. I think thats what everyone is trying to say. A $300 Hot Bodies D8 didnt win the Nitro Challenge. Ty Tessman did.......
and thats what im afraid of will.happen. HB will sell their kits based on this race and other races won by their drivers. That alone is wrong. Think about they had the D8 hara edition nowif that car out of the box was the replica of what hara drove to the title, how much u think that car would sell for ? If HB sells the general public what Ty won at dnc that car would be about 1500 out the door...or maybe more. U cant advertise in this manner but they do so be ut let the modding continue.
bigmane42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok for those of you who are saying Hot Bodies/ Team Tessman are wrong for calling it a D8 since it has many mods on it, you must not follow any other form of racing/pro sports out there.. The Daytona 500 this past weekend, what part, if any, is on your Chevy Impala, Ford Fusion, Toyota Camery, etc....that they use on the fully raced prep car? Maybe the Logo (name) is the same, but pretty much the rest of the car you will need a pretty deep pocket to get what they have.. These are r/c "toy" race cars... thats the fun part of these to self engineer something to get an "edge" on everyone else.. I like the way He is using "old" parts from the "HotBodies" Lightning buggy..Good job Ty and crew.. keep it up.. some people just don't like seeing a "cheap" brand winning...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #66
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Remember, Pros don't run in a Spec class. All the vehicles are teched and no one wins without being legal. None of the top teams run out of the box stock vehicles. Do you reallyl believe otherwise? Some are just more secretive than others.
Look at 1/8 onroad. You have the super-expensive, complex high-end 1/8 "Formula 1 of RC" racing class.. Then 1/8 buggy-based GT came out, the rationale of which was to have a simpler and more affordable class for a broader base of people. Which is a great idea IMO... And what is happening with GT now? Because of all this modding madness, it's becoming more and more advanced and expensive and....................... basically morphing into that high end expensive 1/8 class from which it was supposedly meant to be differentiated. Slowly you're seeing belt-driven cars, with Lemans style bodies, etc.. Just kind of absurd afaic..

Which is not to say I don't realize that that's just the way racing is. Of course that's how it is. I personally just think it's a bit of a shame that the cars the top offroad guys race aren't at least a bit closer to what most end-users can buy at the hobby shop.. Just saying. And also not saying anything against Tessmann or HB. Just a general point is all.., that the more modded the winning cars get, the less inclusive the hobby gets - IMO.. Not trying to argue..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3

Last edited by Herrsavage; 02-29-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroexpress View Post
Nobodys saying they need to run Spec vehicles.
It's just not a case of product development, unless they plan to copy kyoshos shocks and sell that along with their next kit, and I doubt that will be the case.

If you buy a Mugen MBX6 or a Kyosho TKI2 you are getting something which is close to being what they race, out of the box, meanwhile if you buy the Hotbodies Hara D8, you are not getting anything close to what they race - do the customers who buy the kit perhaps in the thought that they are getting this race kit, have a right to feel cheated once they discover it isn't anything close to what the race winning car is?

It's just a simple question, it isn't designed to be "a conspiracy theory" or "secret mission" or whatever the one guy said.

It's just a case of:
If I buy a MBX6, I am basicly getting Robert Batlle's car, basicly I need springs, swaybars, silicone oils, and it is basicly ready to rock
If I buy a D8, I am totally not getting Tessman's car at all, you need a whole bunch of parts off a different car, and shocks off a kyosho etc?? big cost.

So is that fair to the customer?
Eivind E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #68
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry for the double post..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jabroni racing

Quote:
For me this discussion isn't as interesting as the other aspect not mentioned here:
If a layman, who doesn't know so much about racing, sees the results and sees that it says that a HB D8 won this race, and goes out and buys one - then when he builds it he realizes it is a completely different car, has he not got a right to feel cheated?
From reports on the HB thread it seems like the car isn't handling right out of the box, and it sounds like lots of people are putting the truggy shock tower on the back etc etc etc.
Basicly it sounds to me like the car just isn't right the way it comes out of the box.

If you compare this to say a Mugen MBX6/R/EU or Kyosho TKI2 or whatever, you are basicly getting much more near to the race winning cars.
Robert Batlle's Mugen isn't very different from the kit car, it's just setup adjustments and a set of swaybars and springs.

Basicly I feel this side of the Hotbodies debate has been lost here in confusion, where people have just shouted "are you ragging on Tessman" or whatever.

My point is:
Is it fair to portray this as a D8 winning a race, when clearly it isn't even close to what comes in the kit?
That was a Completly Legitamate ans well Thought out staement/question, as i agree..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgombe View Post
no dude it was un purpose.. as i was yelling at your with your ridiculous comment about being cheated...
SPELL CHECK BRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Nobodys saying they need to run Spec vehicles.
It's just not a case of product development, unless they plan to copy kyoshos shocks and sell that along with their next kit, and I doubt that will be the case.

If you buy a Mugen MBX6 or a Kyosho TKI2 you are getting something which is close to being what they race, out of the box, meanwhile if you buy the Hotbodies Hara D8, you are not getting anything close to what they race - do the customers who buy the kit perhaps in the thought that they are getting this race kit, have a right to feel cheated once they discover it isn't anything close to what the race winning car is?

It's just a simple question, it isn't designed to be "a conspiracy theory" or "secret mission" or whatever the one guy said.

It's just a case of:
If I buy a MBX6, I am basicly getting Robert Batlle's car, basicly I need springs, swaybars, silicone oils, and it is basicly ready to rock
If I buy a D8, I am totally not getting Tessman's car at all, you need a whole bunch of parts off a different car, and shocks off a kyosho etc?? big cost.

So is that fair to the customer?
Hara raced a stock D8 at the worlds in 2010 and was pretty close to winning the event for the second time with the same exact car/parts as in 2008. In stock trim the car does work , but like any other car on the market the box set up may not be prefect for every track out.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #72
Tech Master

Its SO Frigin FUnny How people take so Much out of Context.. This was my entertainment for the morning... Nobody Ever said he Cheated, or he wasnt driving a D8 in some form, all that was said is if a car has that many mods on it, is it a miss representation to the average joe Buying it cause they see it won a specific race when he isnt getting that car, just a small percentage of it, that actually won... But I Guess thats the problem, nobody can actually read and understand what they have read anymore... let the Flame war continue..
here comes the next half of my days entertainment
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #73
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Hara raced a stock D8 at the worlds in 2010 and was pretty close to winning the event for the second time with the same exact car/parts as in 2008. In stock trim the car does work , but like any other car on the market the box set up may not be prefect for every track out.
Technically thats not true. He used parts of the Vorza.
Kustom RC Graphics
Team WIYF
deftones4012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #74
Tech Elite

And for record, the D8 is going on 4+ years without any chassis revisions. How many versions of the mp9 and mbx6 were released since the product launch?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones4012 View Post
Technically thats not true. He used parts of the Vorza.
The Vorza uses the same suspension parts at the D8.. the only thing different between the two is the updated body mounts and new servo saver.