Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8 2.0 rtr vs Durango roller

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Losi 8 2.0 rtr vs Durango roller

I'm going to buy one of these. Wich one is the question. the Losi has the nice radio and is race ready. the price is good in my opinion. The durango roller is very nice but need all the electronics and the notor. Major drawback in my opinion. I dont have the money to sink into a roller to make it what it deserves to be. My question is will the Lsi hold its own in races or should i just get the 810 and race club.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Do not get the 810 what ever you do. I raced my 2.0 RTR with stock stuff and had no problems keeping up with the big dogs. Servos blew out and then I replaced them. It's a very durable car, I ran the plastic shock caps down to the RTR shock towers with no issues. If your smooth with the car and not aggressive you will be fine, it likes finess. Only thing I didn't like about it was the turn in, compared to other cars it just isn't there. The car is good when it's sloppy so don't fix the slop.

Now the Durango when I had it, that car was a steering monster. It is more setup involved then the Losi. It is durable as well, I only broke a driveshaft and wing mount. The layout is a breeze IMO and the diff access is very easy. You can take the whole radio tray out from the top. The car is a real beauty and the wear rate is not bad, just keep an eye on the driveshaft pins. You could push this car more then the Losi IMO. Losi I felt went through the Rough better but then again that's all setup. In the future, I would grab the V2 radio tray, aluminum throttle arm, and pipe manifold hangar, maybe a v2 tank but not needed.

In all honesty I would order the Durango at Amain, and use a $25 off discount. Losi will be more expensive down the road. If you shop around right, you can build it close for the price of a RTR Losi. But choose the one that appeals to you the most because you will get guys on here that back their car 100%. Goodluck with your decision
Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm using a spektrum dx3e right now so the upgrade is appealing. Also I imagine the motor is matched to the car with the losi. My biggest problem with the durango is lack of parts. My local hobby shops don't carry much is anything for the durango. I'm when I did the math after a wetland b6 engine, pipe, savox servos and the radio I'm looking at more than 1000.00. Seems like more bang for you're buck with the losi. Can anyone give a honest opinion of which is better for a mid level racer. I an really torn between the two.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The servos, motor and the car itself IMO is pretty crappy compared to the race kits.

I would do yourself a favor and dump some money into what you want instead of getting tunnel vision on the rtr kits, they are always tempting but if you really want to race (moderate or not) they will let you down compared to race kits.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If you're on a budget (sub $1000), the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR is a good way to go. When I had my shop, we sold dozens of these things -- they're competitive in the entry and mid-level club racing out of the box, and you can upgrade your radio, servos, engine, etc. as you go. Just know that the stock servos are rough, and I'd suggest swapping them out immediately if possible...so figure another $150-200 on top of the RTR.

Also, to get up to the full caliber 8ight race vehicle, there are a significant number of differences (clutch, shocks, chassis, shock towers, engine mount, etc etc). It won't be cost effective to upgrade from RTR to Pro...so know that if you get the RTR, you're eventually going to want to upgrade to a Pro kit...trust me. Might be a few weeks or might be a few months, but you're going to want to upgrade.

Durango has a very nice price right now, but local parts availability should be a consideration in your decision.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmo420
Thanks for the breakdown. I'm using a spektrum dx3e right now so the upgrade is appealing. Also I imagine the motor is matched to the car with the losi. My biggest problem with the durango is lack of parts. My local hobby shops don't carry much is anything for the durango. I'm when I did the math after a wetland b6 engine, pipe, savox servos and the radio I'm looking at more than 1000.00. Seems like more bang for you're buck with the losi. Can anyone give a honest opinion of which is better for a mid level racer. I an really torn between the two.
Use your DX3E for now. For parts I never order from my local hobby store, but I'm sure if you ask they can get them. Losi is a great car, but soon as you get it you will be replacing servos which is the down side.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ff-Road-Engine

^^ Engine

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo

^^ servos

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ystem-Polished

^^ Pipe

All that is $302 with discount.

+ The Durango $344 with discount.

= $646

Just need starter box and nimh flat pack.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

IMO the Durango is a better car. RTR are nice but often you have to spend twice the price to make them competitive.