R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   battery for bump(starter) box (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/603751-battery-bump-starter-box.html)

pancanman 02-27-2012 08:25 PM

battery for bump(starter) box

i have some nmih batteries in my dynomite start box. it also says i can use a small motorcycle type batery. what batery are you guys using. the nmih batteries are ok if they are hot but just a few cranks and they are dragging bad. i just want a better battery befor i go racing in a few weeks.

thanks edward

Zao18 02-27-2012 09:45 PM

4s lipo battery, around 2100-2300 mah will set you right. You'll have to solder some new connectors on your box though. Try to stay away from tamiya connectors, apparently they're prone to melting due to the higher resistance, compared to something like Deans or Traxxas-style connectors.

LosiPRRACER 02-27-2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zao18 (Post 10393257)
4s lipo battery, around 2100-2300 mah will set you right. You'll have to solder some new connectors on your box though. Try to stay away from tamiya connectors, apparently they're prone to melting due to the higher resistance, compared to something like Deans or Traxxas-style connectors.

+1... no more to say...

MrUnlimited 02-28-2012 01:25 AM

But be sure to connect a low voltage detector to it otherwise you'll ruin your lipo

Stubbs 02-28-2012 04:44 AM

The gel cell that came with my starter box when I bought it just died (that's the "small motorcycle battery" that you mentioned). I thought about using a Lipo, with a low voltage alarm, but I've just had bad luck with Lipos that don't get fully exercised regularly.

Instead, I went with a 4S LiFe pack. I was planning to get the 8400 mAh, (my gel cell is a 9000 mAh), but it just seemed like overkill. I decided on a 4200 mAh instead. Everyone that I spoke to said that should be WAY more than enough to last a long weekend, even running multiple nitro vehicles.

I'm going to solder on some Traxxas connectors, because like others have said, the Tamiya connector already gets warm. Since I'm changing it around anyway, might as well make it bullet proof.

One thing I'm sure of.....I not gonna miss carrying it around with that heavy friggin' gel cell in there! :lol:

Frank L 02-28-2012 07:21 AM

+2

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited (Post 10393772)
But be sure to connect a low voltage detector to it otherwise you'll ruin your lipo

A 2200 lipo will start a car all race day long and it might even start 2 cars all race day. You will definatly know when the battery dumps its very obvious. Nothing beats a 4s lipo in the starter box. Protek makes a 4s 2200 20c starter box battery that is light and perfect for the starter box. I have them in my boxes and they work well.

ohiofordfan 02-28-2012 10:48 AM

I have been using a cheap zippy 3 s 5000 for two years now and not a single problem. I have broke in many new motors and it always has enough. 4 s is overkill but both work great.

pancanman 02-28-2012 11:34 AM

thanks guys i knew there was a better way to run that thing. that gel motercycle battery just seemed like overkill and way to heavy for the starter box. will look into a 4s today.

thanks again
edward

eddyeddy 02-28-2012 06:25 PM

even a 1500-1800 mAh can hold enough for a track day.

Gel battery is not overkill. It's inefficient. Lipo can be 5 times lighter with added performance due to higher voltage

are yew mad yet 02-28-2012 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by eddyeddy (Post 10397523)
even a 1500-1800 mAh can hold enough for a track day.

Gel battery is not overkill. It's inefficient. Lipo can be 5 times lighter with added performance due to higher voltage

+1 nothin but lipo all day.

wriffwraff 05-01-2012 10:50 PM

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...smallerpic.jpg Over the years I've used gel cell batteries. The 2nd gel cell battery I've purchased died recently. It barely turns the starter box wheel. I've been using a battery tender since I've had it, and according to the tender it's holding a charge, so I really don't know what's up with it. Just know that it won't properly spin the motor in my starter box. Having said that, I ordered a 14.8v/5000 mah/35C Venom hardcase lipo. Was hesistant to do so, cos' I've been out of the hobby for well over a year now. Most I do is fire up my old school truggy every now and then. Might race or practice some this Summer, but can't say fer' sure. Anyway, as others have suggested, I'm hoping I can just slap a low voltage alarm on this battery to manage it. Given the cost, will have to keep an eye on it regardless of my inactivity.