Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Jumps at Track Are Frustrating Me >

Jumps at Track Are Frustrating Me

Jumps at Track Are Frustrating Me

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Jumps at Track Are Frustrating Me

I went to a local track today to practice. I have a lot of experience bashing but not a lot of track time.

I am running a 8ight-T 2.0 but having problems staying on the wheels. I swear I spent more time on the nose or roof than the wheels!

There are many jumps on this track, some doubles and the big ones are rutted out at the bottom and pretty steep. I can't seem to get the throttle right. I would land one then the next one right back on the nose then the turtle shell. My throttle response was a little lagging because I richened it up to keep the temps down. Max was 251 but most of the time it was around 220, but seemed to respond much better at 235 - it's a Losi 454. I think I should have leaned it a little and run it for better throttle response, and that was one of my mistakes.

Anyway I guess I was too late on the throttle or when I would really run at the big double on the corner I would overshoot and that was a bad place to crash. Even the smaller doubles were not easy. Frustrating, guess just more frequent practice is in order.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jake C6R
I went to a local track today to practice. I have a lot of experience bashing but not a lot of track time.

I am running a 8ight-T 2.0 but having problems staying on the wheels. I swear I spent more time on the nose or roof than the wheels!

There are many jumps on this track, some doubles and the big ones are rutted out at the bottom and pretty steep. I can't seem to get the throttle right. I would land one then the next one right back on the nose then the turtle shell. My throttle response was a little lagging because I richened it up to keep the temps down. Max was 251 but most of the time it was around 220, but seemed to respond much better at 235 - it's a Losi 454. I think I should have leaned it a little and run it for better throttle response, and that was one of my mistakes.

Anyway I guess I was too late on the throttle or when I would really run at the big double on the corner I would overshoot and that was a bad place to crash. Even the smaller doubles were not easy. Frustrating, guess just more frequent practice is in order.
Any words of wisdom from track veterans?

BTW everyone there was really cool about the crashing, and there were actually guys there worse than me LOL
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

which track in CA?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

I'm new to the hobby as well. The way I learned was to get to the track early before anyone else was there and do the same jump over and over until I got the hang of that particular jump. Master one section at a time instead of doing whole laps.

I found that what I learned from the previous sections tended to carry over to the next section, flattening the learning curve considerably.

Save yourself some steps and go out there on the track and stand near enough to marshal your truck.

Stick with it and you'll get the hang of it.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

First thing clutch not sure what how it comes clutched stocked but if you need more snap run 1.0 springs all the round. You need to make sure your bottom needle is tune right you might have a fat bottom lean top ask for help. Timing is everything also setup is important but not as important as practice.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Good advice SW which I figured out after a while...it is a long walk from the driver stand to the end of the track where you are upside down! Standing somewhere in the middle, though you can't see everything as well, is a much better idea and worked out better for a crappy driver like me! I kept thinking "slow is fast" but I want to land those jumps. A lot of these guys would hit and end over and but land on their wheels - which I think has to do with how straight you are at approach?

I was out at Freedom Park in Camarillo, there is a offroad track next to the onroad track. I talked to a lot of the regulars out there and they were all good guys.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Practice 1 jump at a time. Listen the exhaust tone from the pros, as sometimes you can hint when they gas and let go on the throttle before they jump. I do the pre-load tricks on the springs to help the nose up or nose down situations. LOSI 2.0 is pretty stable on jumps with a longer chassis in compare with the 1st gen truggy, like 8 1.0 Jammin crt etc..
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Good advice SW which I figured out after a while...it is a long walk from the driver stand to the end of the track where you are upside down! Standing somewhere in the middle, though you can't see everything as well, is a much better idea and worked out better for a crappy driver like me! I kept thinking "slow is fast" but I want to land those jumps. A lot of these guys would hit and end over and but land on their wheels - which I think has to do with how straight you are at approach?

I was out at Freedom Park in Camarillo, there is a offroad track next to the onroad track. I talked to a lot of the regulars out there and they were all good guys.
Yeah, I know all about that long walk.

I used to cringe when I turned over all the time because I know people got tired of marshaling for me so often. Still have room for improvement but it gets better with some focused practice.

People at your track could probably give you some pointers but might be hesitant to offer advice. They might not want it to look like they're telling you how to drive your truck so you might have to ask.

Even the best drivers at my local track have to be marshaled every now and then so don't get discouraged.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Tech Adept

this sounds like me when i was a newbe.
The easy answer is realy: practice practice practice.

you should go there early and bring a few good friends to stay in the track to help you.And you should be up in the driver stand.

Before you do al this you must get youre engine runing so your car wil react better.Its way easier to drive a car with a good tune...
And you should not have too slow servos...

I did almoust give up racing/driving on tracks becouse of the same frustration.
When you learn how to,the only downer is that bashing wil be boring,and to go to a race track wil be the only thing good enough.
But i think that is the hole idea
Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I just picked up a nitro buggy and it sounds like it will be nothing like jumping the 4wd electic buggies....now im really curious to see how my finger will react to the jumps.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Throttle controll is a hard habit to break especially being a basher. Right before to launch off the jump let go off the throttle completely. If you are nose down throttle the gas and if you are facing the sky ease on the brake until you settle out. Try not to do doubles like everyone else and concentrate on one jump at a time. When you are ready try the doubles and triples next.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Jake, definatly try to square up on the approach if you don't you end up diagonal in the air wich is harder to correct.Learning the proper driving lines will eliminate that.Next,once you hit that jump let go of the throttle,pay attention to the vehicle. If your nose is down blip the gas once or twice,nose too high? hit the brakes while you are air born the nose will come back down.Try to be level in the air and not over jump the landings.Watch the fast guys and see what they are hitting single?double?tripple? And remember it takes time!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks very much guys for all the suggestions, I will definitely take the advice given and get back to the track next weekend. For sure I have to work on figuring out the lines and taking one section at a time - next time I'm dragging my nitro buddy with me to take turns marshaling!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was crashing at every corners, bumps and jumps when I was a newbie. All I can say is practice, watch how the good guys do their jumps, after that make friends with them and ask them a few tips. And if they allow it, go up the driver stand and stand next to them. Watch how they handle the bumps and jumps. We can all tell you here on the forums on what to do but nothing beats track time.

Cheers and remember to have fun!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xray808-11
When you learn how to,the only downer is that bashing wil be boring,and to go to a race track wil be the only thing good enough.
But i think that is the hole idea
LOL! Tell me about it man. I thought I would be in this hobby as a basher. Once I got the racing bug, I've never looked back since

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.