Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Redcat Tornado Dogbone Issues, Help Me. >

Redcat Tornado Dogbone Issues, Help Me.

Redcat Tornado Dogbone Issues, Help Me.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Redcat Tornado Dogbone Issues, Help Me.

Ok, So I orderd a Redcat tornado s30 and After it took me serveral hours to get it cranked and serveral blisters I broke 3 dogbones from diff to wheels in less than 24 hours and about 5 tanks of fuel.

My question is do the make an uber dogbone that wont break as easily or will the stronger dogbone make somethings else break? Also I seen a CVD? but does that go from the diff to wheels or from the tranny to the diff?

Well any input will be helpful because i plan on buy serveral more redcats for use by Novices but i dont want to be steadily replace doggbones or a CVD every time somone rents one at the track.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Buy AE, LOSI, HPI or any other brand name RTR's, leave the redcats for walmart
Old 02-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Is it the front dogbones or the rear. Some people have had some luck putting 87mm dogbones in.

I didn't know rctech was only for the "big" brands...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

They don't stand up so why bother with something that is a money pit. You will end up spending more than if you bought something good from the start.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by foxys
Is it the front dogbones or the rear. Some people have had some luck putting 87mm dogbones in.

I didn't know rctech was only for the "big" brands...
no, it was the rear dogbones that snapped
Old 02-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
Buy AE, LOSI, HPI or any other brand name RTR's, leave the redcats for walmart
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
They don't stand up so why bother with something that is a money pit. You will end up spending more than if you bought something good from the start.
Thanks guys, I am new to Nitro rc so this rc was "Cheap" but so far the only issue i can find is the dog bones but I have only had it a few days. What I am looking for is an solution to the dogbones not another vehicle. Like maybe a modified dogbone from another vehicle that somone that has got to work or Maybe somone that has upgraded to CVD, and not issues out of them.

Did you own Redcats? Or Just heard alot of bad info?

Thanks again for the input.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Heard lots of bad stuff. I don't like to see people spend money on something that ends up leaving you disappointed. I've seen to many people buy stuff and learn the hard way that it won't stand up to what we do to them. In the past people have had problems with them and posted on this forum. Just trying to help. That is the intent anyways.

Sorry I can't answer your question though.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My first truggy was a monsoon, every time I would drive it, it would break, then I would wait a week for parts, fix it again, break it again. This went on for about a month, till I sold it. Now I have a "name" brand and don't have any issues.

Unless you like spending a ton of money buying parts I would find something else, just my opinion of course.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

my first buggy was a redcat tornado and to be honest i almost gave up on the hobby b/c of that buggy. that thing drove me crazy. the plastics alre ok but the metals suck. plus i hated the engine and the electronics. luckily i gave the hobby another chance and bought the losi 8.20 rtr that came with a good transmitter and receiver. after a few months bought a better starter box and engine and now i love the hobby.

trust me Quality equipment makes all the difference and if you do your homework and shop around you can get very good product for great prices.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking

thanks you guys,

What would be another 1/10 buggy around the 200 dollar price range because I plan on owning 4 of these buggys to rent at a track I am building. Also do I need to buy seperate crystals with the AM band or Can I use 2.4ghz?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

nothing in the $200 dollar price range(if you are talking the complete package) is going to work if you want to rent them out. no ready to run kit will last. the servos that come with rtr kits dont last very long and neither will the parts.
kyosho makes a 1/10 nitro buggy for under $300 but i have never seen it in person. kyosho makes good product though. still the servos will not last long.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nitrozilla
nothing in the $200 dollar price range(if you are talking the complete package) is going to work if you want to rent them out. no ready to run kit will last. the servos that come with rtr kits dont last very long and neither will the parts.
kyosho makes a 1/10 nitro buggy for under $300 but i have never seen it in person. kyosho makes good product though. still the servos will not last long.
Thanks nitro, I will check them out also do they have the 1/8 that you talked about and do you know if they offer a Wholesale account or not?

Thanks everyone for the info
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile Dont Knock It Till You Try It

Well, why am I not surprised? I have a RedCat Tornado S30 and let me tell ya. I DO NOT CARE what ANY body says, my tornado has outbashed, outran, and FLAT OUT out performed any of the 4 traxxas "toys" that I have owned, and the one keyosho. Everyone talks smack about 'em but has never even used one. Mine came with a cheap radio (2.4ghz.) but it still works perfect. I have had to replace the servos (because I drove the buggy through a really deep mess) and they got soaked. Go to hobbypartz.com, get the 12kg torque all metal gear t-pro's for 11 bucks each problem solved. As for the guy with the dogbone problem, go to mainstreamrc.com and get part #106015, or 166015. They are what you need. For that matter dude, you are doing something wrong. I have just straight up beat the hell outta my tornado s30, and I honestly dont see how you are tearin' up dogbones! Bottom line, you can waste anywhere from 5 to 6 hundred bucks, and STILL have to buy spare parts occasionally, or spend 2 hundred bucks, buy the usual spare parts that everyone in this hobby has to buy and learn the do's and dont's just like everyone. Either way, but I will say this, ANYONE who has under $400 in their rig is welcome to see my $200 1/10 buggy on the offroad track!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by durrtyredcat
Well, why am I not surprised? I have a RedCat Tornado S30 and let me tell ya. I DO NOT CARE what ANY body says, my tornado has outbashed, outran, and FLAT OUT out performed any of the 4 traxxas "toys" that I have owned, and the one keyosho. Everyone talks smack about 'em but has never even used one. Mine came with a cheap radio (2.4ghz.) but it still works perfect. I have had to replace the servos (because I drove the buggy through a really deep mess) and they got soaked. Go to hobbypartz.com, get the 12kg torque all metal gear t-pro's for 11 bucks each problem solved. As for the guy with the dogbone problem, go to mainstreamrc.com and get part #106015, or 166015. They are what you need. For that matter dude, you are doing something wrong. I have just straight up beat the hell outta my tornado s30, and I honestly dont see how you are tearin' up dogbones! Bottom line, you can waste anywhere from 5 to 6 hundred bucks, and STILL have to buy spare parts occasionally, or spend 2 hundred bucks, buy the usual spare parts that everyone in this hobby has to buy and learn the do's and dont's just like everyone. Either way, but I will say this, ANYONE who has under $400 in their rig is welcome to see my $200 1/10 buggy on the offroad track!
traxxas is basically a popular name but still quality sucks...i hate traxxas more then hsp or redcat or w/e. hsp/redcat introduce people to the hobby. we need them.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by durrtyredcat
I have seen Redcats and other generic brands on the track, several times.
Every single time they broke.
I wonder how many people have been turned off to R/C by having these and other cheap brands.
I know, I have had several customers bring their cheapie peepie brands in to our store, and be disgusted with the hobby because of their "$200 nitro 2 speed buggy" breaks every time they run it.

I wish those companies didn't exist, as there is no telling how much harm they have done to hobby enthusiasts getting disgusted and a bad taste in their mouths for the hobby because of Chinese clones and discount-mart quality r-c trash.

I guess some people will sell their soul to make a buck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.