Wiki Posts
Search

Help picking a new...truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Help picking a new...truggy?

The wife said I can buy a new car after taxes. I currently own 4 buggies/trucks. All were purchased used and abused so a new RC is gonna be a treat.
I'm thinking a truggy will have track capability and bashability. I'm on a budget so looking for something economical, RTR and easy to repair.
I've been eyeballing this Kyosho for a while:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Engine-Type-1

I saw this today and looks good. I like 1/10 for its lightness
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio

Ideas? Input?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Don't get the ofna stay with 1/8 its stronger and will handle better. I would look into the lost 8ight t2.0 rtr package.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Losi Ten-T.. www.overdriverc.com I believe has great prices for Losi stuff..

If you ever want to really race truggies, and want to get into it as cheaply as possible, pretty much has to be a Losi 8T 2.0 RTR.. Also cheapest at the above site too afaik...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 02-12-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

for the kyosho, check out here;
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ce-basher.html

The losi package has the most for your money and as far as you can get to a race package in a RTR form. Though cost a little more, you get all the essentials to start you off racing/bashing.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the link. Good read.
I've heard the Losi is top notch. Extra $3-400 is a hard sell to my wife. Personally, I hate starter boxes. Much prefer a pull start.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

My friendly advice would be to reconsider that preference, especially when dealing with big blocks.. No pullstart lasts long on a .28..., without issues of one kind or another.. Starterboxes, though yeah a pain to carry around, are pretty much issue-less, unless you forget to charge the batteries... Also, if you go 1/8, a LOT more options for engines down the line...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

For the most bang for your buck, you can't beat the Losi 2.0T RTR. 1/8 scale, already set up for entry-level racing, starter box. Just make sure to use a 4s lipo with the starter box, the extra juice is needed for easier starting of the 454 engine, which is known to have a ton of pinch.

Speaking from personal experience, stay away from the Ten T. The kit itself is fine, but almost everyone has had nothing but problems with the onboard starter. You'd actually be better off buying the Losi 810 buggy, which is the same platform as the Ten T truggy, but has 1/8 buggy tires and a pullstart. Unfortunately, the 810 doesn't come with as nice a radio.

If you really want to get into some racing, stick with 1/8 scale and get the Losi 2.0 truggy RTR kit. You won't regret it.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

dude you will learn to hate the pull start. Starter box is the only way to go. And get the losi 8t 2.0 rtr. It may be more money but its a better value for what you get, and will hold its resale value much better
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bansh88
The wife said I can buy a new car after taxes. I currently own 4 buggies/trucks. All were purchased used and abused so a new RC is gonna be a treat.
I'm thinking a truggy will have track capability and bashability. I'm on a budget so looking for something economical, RTR and easy to repair.
I've been eyeballing this Kyosho for a while:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Engine-Type-1

I saw this today and looks good. I like 1/10 for its lightness
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-24GHz-Radio

Ideas? Input?

If you ever intend to race, pullstarts don't work out and you'll find it next to impossible to find a class for the Hyper10TT.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sealed backplate engines typically run much nicer then pullstart engines do........ Most OWB shafts don't seal properly in the backplate which means the engine is constantly trying to run around a small vacuum leak....Which usually forces you to run a larger idle gap to overcome the reduced idle vacuum , and trying to tune around a artificially increased idle gap is a total PITA ...as it generally makes it quite difficult to get the engine to idle down quickly after letting off the throttle ..which makes the vehicle a total PITA to drive on the track........Sealed backplate ( bumpstart ) engines just run nicer in general and can be tuned around a smaller idle gap, which makes them much easier to get to idle down properly when letting off the throttle....which in turn gives you more control of your vehicle...this is especially critical when your going over jumps and need precise control over the engine...... Pullstarts may seem convenient, but they are truly more hassle then they are worth....
Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Interesting stuff. I have 2 cars that run off a starter box now. Only one lines up good (not great) on the box. Maybe thats where my distaste comes from.
I really dont think the price tag of the Losi is going to happen though. Maybe I can find a well taken care of, used one. Was really hyped on buying a new car though.
I just got into RCs back in October. Still very new. I believe theres only one Nitro track in San Diego and that is currently closed. The idea of competitively racing isn't on my radar anytime soon.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bansh88
Interesting stuff. I have 2 cars that run off a starter box now. Only one lines up good (not great) on the box. Maybe thats where my distaste comes from.
I really dont think the price tag of the Losi is going to happen though. Maybe I can find a well taken care of, used one. Was really hyped on buying a new car though.
I just got into RCs back in October. Still very new. I believe theres only one Nitro track in San Diego and that is currently closed. The idea of competitively racing isn't on my radar anytime soon.
So money appears to be your problem on the Losi. Just wait a little longer and save the cash and then get the one you really want. I see so many guys go the cheaper route and then regret it in the long run. With a new one, you at least know what your are getting. In addition, I am not sure where you consider bashing, but lawns can actually be pretty tough on the clutch on a race vehicle like a losi. One of the best bashing lawn vehicle I have owned is already in your signature and it is a savage.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

I live out in the high desert so not a lot of grass. Just hitting hills and berms and such. If I drop $700+ on a car, it'll be used sparingly. We have one neighborhood track that is fun (as long as the builder stops thinking it's a motocross track).
Guess I got a month or so to figure this out.