R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default Bulletproof New Kit?

Ok I was asked a great question today and I thought I would get everones opinion.

The question was, What items are needed when building a new kit to bulletproof it for high level racing?

Right of the bat only tow things came to mind. I think most Mfg's have stepped up the game as far as the reliability of the equipment.

#1 Loctite
#2 Aluminum Servo Horn.

So I ask everyone else what would you have said?

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

i agree with your list. most manufacturers have really done a good job with durability issues for the racers. as with anything, there is always the possibility of breaking. there are tons of hop-ups out there for almost every kit, but i think for high level racing, as you put it, they are not necessary. for the casual racer, some of the upgrades could be a benefit in the durability area.
nitroal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I say just Xray it, and its Bulletproof. hahaha, true but just kidding. loctite for sure, wheel nuts that have the teeth on them to catch the wheel, superglue front shock towers and some good metal gear servos.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Just get ASSOCIATED they have thought of everything, alum top plate, center dif plate, heat sink disc brakes, alum steering blocks, adjustable caster blocks,adjustable anti squat and kick up, and angle cut ring and pinion gears. Now that is bullet proof with out the extra cost buying a race roller and still having to purchase all the extras.With loc-tite of course.
I can't drive straight but I sure can jump BIG. (LOSI 8T2.0> OS21 VSPEC>2041) (ASSOCIATED RC8TCE> CLOCKED-NOVAROSSI BONITO> ERCM 221T PIPE> M2C>2X HITEC HV-7945TH)(SWEEPS EXAGON) NOTHING IS BETTER THAN A NITRO BURNING BEAST
are yew mad yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just to add to the above:

Weather foam the inside of your battery and receiver box. This stops your battery from excessive rubbing wear and tear.

Use thickish double sided tape for sticking down your receiver and other electronics as this will also prevent them from being damaged due to impacts and severe vibration.

If your kit has an option to stiffen the CB to spur gear area of your chassis use it. It's the one place that you don't want flex as this can cause premature bearing failures and also CB/spur gear wear.

Heat shield your tank and rear radio box. Doesn't hurt to keep heat away from these areas.

Insulate all wires coming out of your radio boxes with some tubing or slinky plastic tube. This prevents any wear on the actual wires from rubbing and vibrations.

Always use the vibration absorbing rubber grommets for screwing in servos and make sure the servos aren't touching or close to touching your chassis. Remember as your chassis heats up it will flex a lot more so make sure there is enough room for your servos.

Use a return spring or elastic band (I prefer the elastic band) on your carb linkage. This is just another safety feature if all else goes wrong with your throttle servo.

Most importantly keep it clean and lubricated. Nothing wears plastic bits and bearings on a buggy faster than nitro/sticky/muddy/filth. Also spending the time on keeping it clean helps you notice wear points faster allowing you to service them before catastrophic failure and the dreaded DNF.

Remember no buggy is perfect or indestructible. I've seen plenty of Xray's break because of bad users. The more you look after your car the more it will repay you with smooth free running.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote