Search

An open letter to sponsored and experienced racers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 AM
dia
Tech Apprentice

Default An open letter to sponsored and experienced racers

First of all hello to everyone.
My thought is to ask you, to educate the less...experienced drivers. Using myself as an example I will try to explain what I mean. I believe there are quite a few out there like me,and also many will benefit by the information that will be provided.
I’m not an experienced racer. I’m not a youngster (I’m 52) and do not have the time needed to devote to my hobby. Besides the time spent at home wrenching, I can only spare one race day per month at a local track. This does not give me the chance to practice, experiment, and learn things by trial and error. Copying someone’s setup is not the answer because conditions are different, driving skills differ, equipment differ. I believe one needs a guidance to put you on the right trackand teach you understand how things work .
I, as many of us, do read forums, guides, magazines, so as to understand how to set up my car correctly. But the information is so much that is overwhelming when you need it. Especially on race day!! Besides most of it is provided in a manner that explains each single aspect separately and isolated from everything else. For example you read in a magazine what is and does toe, or camper, ride height, or diff setting.
When you face a particular behavior with your car, all of the above each and by itself don’t help you much even if you remember them especially between heats.
So my idea is to create a list or database of situations (scenarios) one may be faced with. For example : my car is pushing exiting corners, or traction rolls, or flies nose down on jumps,or is loose when braking etc,etc... scenarios that many of us will identify having faced/or are facing .
Now from this data base everyone who believes that can give a correct solid guidance as to what one should do on any particular scenario, the principle steps, that do NOT require specifics as to what car you are driving or what is your present set up will go ahead and write these steps.
We all know that there are more than one way to solve a problem and that every change has an impact on something else, it’s a matter of balance. But this short list of possible steps will be much more helpful to set upones car than all the bibliography that exists. By saying EDUCATE I mean that one can also write if he so wishes, what and why the changes recommended will influence.
Similar as to what I propose is “THE GUIDE” by JQ which is narrowed to fewer situations we are faced with, and the XXXMain setup book which is though for on road cars. Steps proposed can be listed as to the most effective and/or less influential to other behaviors of the car.
Those of you who read this letter, please write your thoughts about it and mostly how the idea can be improved so it will be MORE beneficial to ALL.
Thanks for reading but mostly for any replies.
Diamantis.
(Greece)
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I think that this is a great idea. I run a website that is intended for news reviews and tutorials. I think that I may try and add a section about what you were talking about. That would help a lot of people like yourself. I know there are guides out there for such topics but can be hard to find. I'll see what I can find and post it here as on my site. Great topic here can't wait to see the replies
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/
Go to the highlighted "quick setup guide"
Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM
JQ
Tech Master

More Overall Steering:

Lower shock mounting in on arm.

Thinner oil in front shocks.

Softer front springs

Stiffer rear springs

Short rear upper link

Longer front upper link

Thinner or no front swaybar

Less rear toe in

Short Ackermann plate

More Steering Into the Corner:

Thinner oil in front diff

Less caster

Stand up front shocks on tower

Front upper link down on tower

Short ackermann plate

Steering link back on Ackermann plate

Thinner rear swaybar

Lean rear shocks down on tower

More Steering Mid-to-Exit of the Corner and On-Power:

Thicker oil in Front diff

More caster

Lean front shocks down on tower

Thicker rear swaybar

Stand up rear shocks on tower

Less Overall Steering:

Front shock out on arm

Thicker front shock oil

Stiffer front spring

Thicker oil in front diff

Thicker front swaybar

More rear toe-in

Long rear ipper link

Raise front upper link on tower

Better Jumping Ability:

Stand up shocks

Stiffer shock springs

Thicker shock oil

Smaller piston holes

More anti-sqat

More downtravel (specially front)

More kickup

More Rear Traction:

Long rear upper link

Raise upper link on tower compared to hub

Lower complete lower link

More rear toe-in

Thinner diff oils

Lean rear shocks over on tower

Larger holes, or more holes in piston

Better Bump Handling:

Adjust shock oil (usually thinner, check shock absorbers advice)

Lean shocks over on tower

thinner diffs

More rideheight

More downtravel

Cut tyres inside and outside

More acceleration and forward bite:

Thicker oil in diffs

Long upper links

Smaller clutchbell, larger main gear

Thicker clutchsprings

More stability in long sweeping corners:

Stiffer front springs

Stiffer swaybars

Thicker oils in diffs

What to do first on a high traction track:

Front shock out on arm

Stiffer swaybars

Less rideheight

Smaller piston holes or thicker shockoil

What to do first on a low traction track:

Lean shocks over

Larger piston holes, or thinner oil

Long upper links

More rideheight
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is awesome information. Joey are you going to be at the pit next weekend???/

JQ really does some good things for this hobby. I really like the 60 seconds tips and help he offers to people. Big thumbs up to him
Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I have found and posted a bunch of setup info on my website. http://jpeasey.com/Rc_Setup_s.html
Feel free to check it out and hope it help's.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

This thread is a great idea. i've read a lot of stuff on setting up your car and most of them don't explain it in a way i can understand. or is that in-depth it's useless.

i just need to know what setting to adjust to alleviate a problem.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yep put it in englisg instead of all that to advanced stuff
Old 02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

JQs list is good but there are similar lists all over the web. A casual racer with not much time will not want to change diff oils due to the time it takes and if you don't like it you spend ages changing it back again.

If I read the O.P's post right, what he means is a shorter list.

That is, what is the main change you should make first (preferably one that does not affect other things too much) to correct a handling problem?

For example, I reckon my rear end is a bit loose at the moment and there is no way I will change diff oil or shock pistons at the track when we only race for couple of hours once a month - what do I change first, what is easiest and most effective? Go down in shock oil weight is easy and fast, but is toe-in more effective?
Further, on JQ's list it says:
Long rear upper link

One reduces camber the other increases it which could be a bit confusing to some people
Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

xray has a guide like that...i always keep it in the pit just in case..
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mark _australia

That is, what is the main change you should make first (preferably one that does not affect other things too much) to correct a handling problem?
Tires!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark _australia
JQs list is good but there are similar lists all over the web. A casual racer with not much time will not want to change diff oils due to the time it takes and if you don't like it you spend ages changing it back again.

For example, I reckon my rear end is a bit loose at the moment and there is no way I will change diff oil or shock pistons at the track when we only race for couple of hours once a month - what do I change first, what is easiest and most effective? Go down in shock oil weight is easy and fast, but is toe-in more effective?
Further, on JQ's list it says:
Long rear upper link

One reduces camber the other increases it which could be a bit confusing to some people
+1

That's how I understand the thread toppic to mean too.

What is the one or two EASIEST things I should do first for each handling problem.

Great Thread Idea
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The hudy touring car setup manual on the very last page has a chart already covering most of the topics needed. I can't find a pdf online which has the chart and I only ever recall seeing the chart in the paper edition. The same principals apply from on-road to off-road in most cases. I found the pdf now at http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...252739b1ad8c24 Use the quick reference chart at the end of the guide on page 54.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
The hudy touring car setup manual on the very last page has a chart already covering most of the topics needed. I can't find a pdf online which has the chart and I only ever recall seeing the chart in the paper edition. The same principals apply from on-road to off-road in most cases. I found the pdf now at http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...252739b1ad8c24 Use the quick reference chart at the end of the guide on page 54.

Thanks for posting this. I had it downlaoded at oen time and changed PCs and lost it. Glad to have it again..
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Peralta
Tires!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.