R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (94%+)

How does a clocked p5xlt compare to a Houston p5xlt? Is one better than the other? I've pretty much decided on either of these but not sure which yet.
shelbyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I would PM clockwork racing Neil leave your phone number and speak with him he has whole aray of engines he will give you a honest answer plus fit you according to your needs. His engines are awesome smooth power and great run times it couldn't hurt to speak with him he knows a lot
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
I would PM clockwork racing Neil leave your phone number and speak with him he has whole aray of engines he will give you a honest answer plus fit you according to your needs. His engines are awesome smooth power and great run times it couldn't hurt to speak with him he knows a lot
I agree 100%. Hes one of the nicest and honest person you will meet.
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Hey I wants good and bad feedback Neil works hard always improving can wait for hi new shop gets rolling we should see more items out of clockworks.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to yamahamxracer

Let me start off by saying that I have been running the mp9 for almost 3 years, in that time, my mp9 has had a OS v-spec, OS vzb speed, green head alpha, werks b5, OS xzb speed, novarossi +4 team edition, ninja bo1a, Orion crf 3-port, and a Novarossi +4 BTTS in it.

My ABSOLUTE favorite was the btts, BUT do NOT run the 9901, but instead run the novarossi 2084 with the curved header. The 2084 out performs the 9901 in every way possible. Just because the 9901 was good on the original +4 does not mean its the best on the new one. The 2084 is much easier to tune than the 9901, puts out much more power, bottom and top, and I would get 10 minutes easy. Temps? Never over 250 even on the brutal hot days that we had last summer here in Jersey. My btts always held a perfect tune for me. The only thing I will say if you do go with the novarossi, is make sure you always pre-heat the engine to at least 200 for the first 2-3 gallons or you will wreck the rod. Thats the only downfall to the novarossi engines, they take FOREVER to break in. But, it is worth it in every way.

My #1 backup was my ninja, that thing just always ran flawless for me, good runtime, I hit 10 minutes once or twice when i pushed it, but usually pitted at 9 minutes.

Another really good engine that I did not have a ton of race time with is the Orion crf 3-port, man that thing was really almost as good as my btts. Break-in was extremely easy and quick, after a half a gallon it was ready for the track. I ran the crf 3-port with the 2057 and despite what everyone says about it lacking on the bottom end, it didn't. It had plenty of grunt down low and tons of power everywhere else. My buddy's quote on that thing after the first time on the track was "That motor's got big balls!" Runtime? with less than a gallon on it, I was getting 9 minutes not even trying to push it. I liked the orion motor so much that I purchased a cody king combo, a discovery 5 port, and a crf 7-port for this upcoming nitro season.

The xzb speed didn't really get much track time, but I will say it was easy to break in, just about as easy as the Orion, and the OS did produce quite a bit of power and it was fairly smooth.

My werks b5 was also a very reliable engine, and was my main engine for a bit, and then I used it as a backup. Always ran very very cool, I'm talking like 180-190 tops and I would get 8-9 minutes out of it. Fairly easy to tune and consistent.

The vzb speed was very smooth, and kinda felt a bit soft on the bottom, it definitely had top end though! Pretty easy to tune, despite the air leak it had the one day, and it too would run me about 8-9 minute pits.

The green head alpha where to start......that thing was a PITA to tune since day 1, break in was a PITA, but the power was pretty impressive, runtime definitely was not though. I'm talking 6 minute pits is pushing it. I got rid of that thing pretty quickly.

My original +4 team edition was also a very good engine, I loved that thing, but for some reason gave me some issues tuning it. I got the tune dead on and didn't need to touch it for a month or two, and I was getting great power with 8-9 minutes pits. Always ran a bit hot though, like 265-275. Then one day I decided to try and mess with the needles, which was stupid cuz it didn't need it, and I lost the tune and never quite got it back.

My tope motor choices:

1. Novarossi BTTS with 2084 pipe
2. Orion CRF 3-port (pretty close with the btts, but due to not much track time I can't really tell, I may have liked it more down the road)
3. Mugen Ninja Bo1a (In my opinion the best backup)

One thing that I have heard about werks is that they are not very consistent, some are perfect (such as my B5) and some are faulty. I cannot speak for the problems myself, but I have seen the East coast distributor for werks have quite a few problems with his own......but like I said, I cannot badmouth them from my own experience, because mine was great!

Now clearly you can't say I'm biased on one brand I am also a free soldier and am not sponsored by anyone so I am not trying to push any one brand. I am speaking from experience. I've run quite a few different engines and everyone at my track can vouch for me being able to tune quite well. I have tuned many other racers' engines.

If you want some advice or help with anything such as setup on the mp9, engine questions, or just want to bs shoot me a pm, I'll help you out anyway I can.