R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Firestorm oversteer

Hi guys,

i have a nitro Firestorm, and i would like your advice on what setup can i do on my shocks and diff so as to reduce the oversteering and spin out (what type of oil).

Also, is there any other way to reduce the oversteering except tuning the shocks and diff?
gixxerovios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerovios View Post
Hi guys,

i have a nitro Firestorm, and i would like your advice on what setup can i do on my shocks and diff so as to reduce the oversteering and spin out (what type of oil).

Also, is there any other way to reduce the oversteering except tuning the shocks and diff?
Thicker rear diff oil will help with the oversteer. 2K or 3k in the rear diff is used for lots of steering, 4k and up is used to calm down entry steering and allow you to do controlled drifting/steering with the throttle on power. Thick front diff fluid will calm down the steering on corner entry and allow the front tires to pull the truck more than a thinner fluid, it will also add stability to your setup if your truck is "twitchy". 7k is considered standard. Thick center diff fluid will give you more drive to the rear tires and more steering on power, it also affects the "punch" of the truck (how hard it accelerates). Try 20k front 15k center 3k rear, if that takes out too much steering then lower the front diff to 15k, if that's still too little steering then lower it to 10k.

Front springs that are harder than the rears, a front sway bar that is stiffer than the rear are things that will calm down your truck.

Lowering your front roll center, raising your rear roll center will take steering out of your truck.

Moving the upper shock mount out on the front tower will take steering away, moving the upper shock mount on the rear tower inwards will take away steering.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
Thicker rear diff oil will help with the oversteer. 2K or 3k in the rear diff is used for lots of steering, 4k and up is used to calm down entry steering and allow you to do controlled drifting/steering with the throttle on power. Thick front diff fluid will calm down the steering on corner entry and allow the front tires to pull the truck more than a thinner fluid, it will also add stability to your setup if your truck is "twitchy". 7k is considered standard. Thick center diff fluid will give you more drive to the rear tires and more steering on power, it also affects the "punch" of the truck (how hard it accelerates). Try 20k front 15k center 3k rear, if that takes out too much steering then lower the front diff to 15k, if that's still too little steering then lower it to 10k.

Front springs that are harder than the rears, a front sway bar that is stiffer than the rear are things that will calm down your truck.

Lowering your front roll center, raising your rear roll center will take steering out of your truck.

Moving the upper shock mount out on the front tower will take steering away, moving the upper shock mount on the rear tower inwards will take away steering.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
A firestorm is 2wd 1/10th truck...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
A firestorm is 2wd 1/10th truck...
That's what I get for not checking out the truck first, I could have sworn it was a truggy. Lowering the rear ride height, raising the front ride height and going thicker on the diff fluid would help.

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks a lot, i will try first 3000 Kyosho oil on the diff (this one i already have).
gixxerovios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Tech Elite

When the grip is low, I run a thinner rear diff. It gives more yes, but this is off-power. The car pushes more on-power and won't spin out that easy.

In a 2WD truck, I think your biggest enemie is throttle.
I'd use less anti squat, softer rear springs and thinner rear oil, maybe add some weight in the rear and make sure the rearheight in the rear is as height as in the front. A lower front will also give too much steering on a 2wd buggy/truck.