R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nitro short course racing!

I couldnt really find a thread on it so figured I would post and see how many nitro short course racers we had out there. Has the class caught on anywhere? Lets discuss this and see how many fans there is out there for it.
Ofna hyper 7
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Personally, I'd rather just see Gas Truck come back. Leaps and bounds cheaper than just about any other class, especially 1/8th. Don't ever see this happening though.
cleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Contingency

I'm building one but not sure if there will anybody to race against when I get home. Would be nice to have a specific class designated for it.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I have seen some videos on youtube of some rather larger races and they look very fun. The short course 1/10 scale seems to have more races that I have observed.
Ofna hyper 7
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thunder Tiger has one nitro SC.

Not sure nitro 1/10 will come back one day
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I'm planning to buy a 1/8 short course Team Associated SC8 nitro, What I heard there is only one class, 1/10 short course electric here in Las Vegas. I wish someday there will be a offroad class for nitro and gas 1/8 & 1/5.
Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger View Post
I'm planning to buy a 1/8 short course Team Associated SC8 nitro, What I heard there is only one class, 1/10 short course electric here in Las Vegas. I wish someday there will be a offroad class for nitro and gas 1/8 & 1/5.

1/8 nitro sc is very interesting to me. I love to watch the 1/5 scale races but until the price of a 1/5 drastically drops there wont be much of a racing scene for them IMO because not many want to throw so much money into it. On the other hand 1/8 wouldnt be any more costly than buggy and probably a good bit cheaper than truggy classes.
Ofna hyper 7
Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I got into RC right as Gas Truck died out. I only got to race it a few (10) times and wasn't very good, but I enjoyed the heck out of it, and actually did get a little better at it. I have a GT2 waiting on the shelf for the day that may never come! I love nitro, but there is no way in the world I can afford 1/8 nitro right now, so I stick to 1/10 electric SCs for now.

I would totally be into 1/10 nitro SC racing. I believe there is a company who makes RC10GT2 conversion chassis to turn them into a nitro SC.

STADIUM TRUCK ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
HP PRST-1
AE FT RC10GT2 (for when nitro ST rises from the dead!!)
lappdawg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
1/8 nitro sc is very interesting to me. I love to watch the 1/5 scale races but until the price of a 1/5 drastically drops there wont be much of a racing scene for them IMO because not many want to throw so much money into it. On the other hand 1/8 wouldnt be any more costly than buggy and probably a good bit cheaper than truggy classes.
I thought the same thing as we were considering the Losi 5ive...I added up what we have spent on our current 1/8 scale buggies and it is close believe it or not..I was kinda surprised myself..Once I did the math we decided on the Losi..Now that we have had it for a while I can say that its actually cheaper as far as fuel and maintainence goes..We still love our nitro buggies but now with the Losi we can have some variation that keeps our interest up with both...
Team Durango DEX410R, Castle MMP, Tekin 7.5, Hitec, Jconcepts
*Thanks Mugen for your support*
sjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracing View Post
I thought the same thing as we were considering the Losi 5ive...I added up what we have spent on our current 1/8 scale buggies and it is close believe it or not..I was kinda surprised myself..Once I did the math we decided on the Losi..Now that we have had it for a while I can say that its actually cheaper as far as fuel and maintainence goes..We still love our nitro buggies but now with the Losi we can have some variation that keeps our interest up with both...

I would love to have a 1/5 scale losi but its just not in the cards in my near future ha ha. But it is indeed very interesting to watch! I wanna see some 1/10 or 1/8 nitro short course racing in the near future! I have seen a few races and it is awesome! Anyone have the 1/10 sc10 or something similar? if so how do you like it? Do you race at your local club?
Ofna hyper 7
Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
I would love to have a 1/5 scale losi but its just not in the cards in my near future ha ha. But it is indeed very interesting to watch! I wanna see some 1/10 or 1/8 nitro short course racing in the near future! I have seen a few races and it is awesome! Anyone have the 1/10 sc10 or something similar? if so how do you like it? Do you race at your local club?
Understand Wallee. Hopefully the prices come down as competition heats up between the truck companies. There seems to be alot of movement by the companies to go in new directions to spark new interest. Losi with the 5ive, their small buggy and oval buggy. HPI with the electric 1/5 scale and 1/8 scale SCT. All this within the last few months. Doubt 1/10 scale nitro is on the drawing board but not sure about 1/8 scale nitro SCT. The more options we have for nitro/gas the better it is for us.
Team Durango DEX410R, Castle MMP, Tekin 7.5, Hitec, Jconcepts
*Thanks Mugen for your support*

Last edited by sjracing; 01-25-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
sjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracing View Post
Understand Wallee. Hopefully the prices come down as competation heats up between the truck companies. There seems to be alot of movement by the companies to go in new directions to spark new interest. Losi with the 5ive, their small buggy and oval buggy. HPI with the electric 1/5 scale and 1/8 scale SCT. All this within the last few months. Doubt 1/10 scale nitro is on the drawing board but not sure about 1/8 scale nitro SCT. The more options we have for nitro/gas the better it is for us.

Totally agree, I am really just wanting to see a shift in the racing scene toward the sc truck wether it be 1/5 (Which would be very AWESOME) or 1/8 and even the 1/10 scale. I just want to see this class take off!
Ofna hyper 7
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I've seen them race nitro Losi SCTEs with the electric 4x4 SC trucks over at Revelation Raceway. Sorry not video, so I guess it never happened.

They do sell a complete SCTE converted to nitro in the hobby shop as well. I think it would be a fun class, but it's so hard to start and grow new nitro classes as well as any new class that has an expensive initial buy in.
SEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEF View Post
I've seen them race nitro Losi SCTEs with the electric 4x4 SC trucks over at Revelation Raceway. Sorry not video, so I guess it never happened.

They do sell a complete SCTE converted to nitro in the hobby shop as well. I think it would be a fun class, but it's so hard to start and grow new nitro classes as well as any new class that has an expensive initial buy in.

The nitro 1/8 scale sc kits have been out for a while now. So I would bet there is more people out than one would think with them already.
Ofna hyper 7
Old 01-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Tech Elite

It is fairly easy to take a brand of nitro buggy and convert it over. If there was an actual popular class, we already have the capacity to combine a nitro truggy and a buggy to match the SC8. Anyone could do it though as long as the manufacturer makes both.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote