R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Nitro or electric 1/8 scale?

Just want some insight on the electric vs nitro. Been out of the sport for about 6 years. Last car I was driving was a nitro 1/8 buggy. The new electrics look nice and easier maintenance wise. What are your thoughts? Do they drive and handle the same? Is the electric to stay in this class or will it die out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Msc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
drs92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,894
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
Just want some insight on the electric vs nitro. Been out of the sport for about 6 years. Last car I was driving was a nitro 1/8 buggy. The new electrics look nice and easier maintenance wise. What are your thoughts? Do they drive and handle the same? Is the electric to stay in this class or will it die out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You are going to get a ton of mixed opinions! Nitro is no harder maintenance wise then electric, if your not lazy Electric will be heavier, imo 8th scale electronics don't hold up, but you will get guys that say that theirs last forever.
__________________
TLR 22B
drs92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
devnull's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 1,436
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

I own and have owned just about every single 1/8 scaler out there, in electric and in nitro. They are total apples and oranges. Now I love apples, but oranges are where it's at for me.

If I HAD to pick just one, it would be nitro. The sound, off power mechanical braking (tekno aside of course), and general drive just feels better to me.

That being said I ran an E car today and pulled straightup wheelies for 15 minutes. BL setups are better than ever, and batteries are crazy now. Try that with a glow plug.

Do you have a particular car you were looking at?
__________________
Romans 10:13
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
JQ, AE, TLR, TD, AG... Still can't decide. They all go to 11
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?
Msc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
pcfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to pcfriend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?
I have both electric and nitro, i started with electric as I am new to Rc, I thought that I would never ever want to get involved with nitro, but I pushed myself to try it and its nitro over electric for me, electrics have their issues as I am sure nitro has its issues, with electric you have things like ESC overheating, cogging issues, shorts and soldering issues so really electric is not maintenance free.
__________________
Reggie Turner
TLR TEN-SCTE / MMP / 3800 4POLE
TLR 8ight 2.0 / WERKS B6
TLR 8ight 2.0-T / WERKS B5
TLR 8ight 2.0-E / TEKIN /2050
pcfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
pcfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 136
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to pcfriend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?
BL = brushless
__________________
Reggie Turner
TLR TEN-SCTE / MMP / 3800 4POLE
TLR 8ight 2.0 / WERKS B6
TLR 8ight 2.0-T / WERKS B5
TLR 8ight 2.0-E / TEKIN /2050
pcfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
MTD
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?
2650 good for bashing, 1900 or a 2050 for racing
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
jwmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 511
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?
That is good. I have both Tekin & Castle. Castle is more reliable. Tekin is smoother from a dead stop but not important for off road. 2650 has insane speed. Must use small pinion for small tracks. BL is Brushless motors. Nitro needs a lot more motor tuning. They are affected by weather. Elect is not and motors are sealed, only need bearings changed once a yr. I like the noise of nitro but dont have the time to tune & maintain them.
If you go elect 4s lipo is what you should get.
__________________
Spectrum Pro, RC8BE, B44,T8TE, MP9e tki3
jwmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
MTD
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmustang View Post
That is good. I have both Tekin & Castle. Castle is more reliable. Tekin is smoother from a dead stop but not important for off road. 2650 has insane speed. Must use small pinion for small tracks. BL is Brushless motors. Nitro needs a lot more motor tuning. They are affected by weather. Elect is not and motors are sealed, only need bearings changed once a yr. I like the noise of nitro but dont have the time to tune & maintain them.
If you go elect 4s lipo is what you should get.
i disagree, electric does not like water. i have seen many tekins and castle esc's get smoked from running in wet grass and rainy weather.
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I was told the same thing but the car I'm looking at buying is coming with this set up. Are track down here is bigger than some of other tracks I've seen so maybe it will be alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD View Post
2650 good for bashing, 1900 or a 2050 for racing
Msc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
MTD
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
I was told the same thing but the car I'm looking at buying is coming with this set up. Are track down here is bigger than some of other tracks I've seen so maybe it will be alright.
it will be fine. just have to control the finger is all and run times will be shorter
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Oh ok got you, Thanx . Yeah I know each is gonna have their pros n cons but after reading up a bit and having a lot of experience with nitro cars in the past electric is looking more n more the route I'm going .



Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfriend View Post
BL = brushless
Msc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Replace the OR with AND run them both. Somehow I am faster with my e buggy. I'm not sure why but I have seen it several times. To me if I had to choose I would go nitro. The E stuff is fun but it feels like kids stuff t me. The sound and tune that a nitro sings is just pure pleasure to my ears.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: thornhill, ont. canada
Posts: 65
Talking

would u watch a movie (specially action) without sound or would u prefer to watch it in surround sound?
__________________
Mugen mbx6, mbx6t
Futaba 4pk
GRP. 21Tuned
Sirio. 21, .24
tecnopower b02t, t02t
tracktearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
MTD
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 108
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Replace the OR with AND run them both. Somehow I am faster with my e buggy. I'm not sure why but I have seen it several times. To me if I had to choose I would go nitro. The E stuff is fun but it feels like kids stuff t me. The sound and tune that a nitro sings is just pure pleasure to my ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracktearer View Post
would u watch a movie (specially action) without sound or would u prefer to watch it in surround sound?
+1....
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why won't electric 1/8 scale catch on outdoors DG Designs Electric Off-Road 84 06-02-2011 03:43 AM
MBX6 TECHNO CONVERION ELECTRIC 1/8 SCALE ARTR allaboutwho02 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 11-23-2009 04:52 PM
Electric 1/8 scale racing...How long should qualifiers and mains be? bcrazy Electric Off-Road 38 07-21-2009 06:06 AM
Mike Truhe comments on brushless electric 1/8 scale racing.. HandyRacing Electric Off-Road 55 01-01-2009 03:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:30 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net