R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Nitro or electric 1/8 scale? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/588694-nitro-electric-1-8-scale.html)

Msc111 01-17-2012 03:07 PM

Nitro or electric 1/8 scale?

Just want some insight on the electric vs nitro. Been out of the sport for about 6 years. Last car I was driving was a nitro 1/8 buggy. The new electrics look nice and easier maintenance wise. What are your thoughts? Do they drive and handle the same? Is the electric to stay in this class or will it die out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

drs92 01-17-2012 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Msc111 (Post 10186577)
Just want some insight on the electric vs nitro. Been out of the sport for about 6 years. Last car I was driving was a nitro 1/8 buggy. The new electrics look nice and easier maintenance wise. What are your thoughts? Do they drive and handle the same? Is the electric to stay in this class or will it die out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You are going to get a ton of mixed opinions! Nitro is no harder maintenance wise then electric, if your not lazy :rolleyes: Electric will be heavier, imo 8th scale electronics don't hold up, but you will get guys that say that theirs last forever.

devnull 01-17-2012 05:19 PM

I own and have owned just about every single 1/8 scaler out there, in electric and in nitro. They are total apples and oranges. Now I love apples, but oranges are where it's at for me.

If I HAD to pick just one, it would be nitro. The sound, off power mechanical braking (tekno aside of course), and general drive just feels better to me.

That being said I ran an E car today and pulled straightup wheelies for 15 minutes. BL setups are better than ever, and batteries are crazy now. Try that with a glow plug. :D

Do you have a particular car you were looking at?

Msc111 01-17-2012 05:54 PM

Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?

pcfriend 01-17-2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Msc111 (Post 10187464)
Thanx for your thoughts. Not to sure what mean when you refer to BL? I'm looking at an associated factory rc8be with castle creations mamba monster/ 2650 setup. What do you think?

I have both electric and nitro, i started with electric as I am new to Rc, I thought that I would never ever want to get involved with nitro, but I pushed myself to try it and its nitro over electric for me, electrics have their issues as I am sure nitro has its issues, with electric you have things like ESC overheating, cogging issues, shorts and soldering issues so really electric is not maintenance free.

pcfriend 01-17-2012 06:03 PM

BL = brushless

MTD 01-17-2012 06:05 PM

2650 good for bashing, 1900 or a 2050 for racing

jwmustang 01-17-2012 06:17 PM

That is good. I have both Tekin & Castle. Castle is more reliable. Tekin is smoother from a dead stop but not important for off road. 2650 has insane speed. Must use small pinion for small tracks. BL is Brushless motors. Nitro needs a lot more motor tuning. They are affected by weather. Elect is not and motors are sealed, only need bearings changed once a yr. I like the noise of nitro but dont have the time to tune & maintain them.
If you go elect 4s lipo is what you should get.

MTD 01-17-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jwmustang (Post 10187589)
That is good. I have both Tekin & Castle. Castle is more reliable. Tekin is smoother from a dead stop but not important for off road. 2650 has insane speed. Must use small pinion for small tracks. BL is Brushless motors. Nitro needs a lot more motor tuning. They are affected by weather. Elect is not and motors are sealed, only need bearings changed once a yr. I like the noise of nitro but dont have the time to tune & maintain them.
If you go elect 4s lipo is what you should get.

i disagree, electric does not like water. i have seen many tekins and castle esc's get smoked from running in wet grass and rainy weather.

Msc111 01-17-2012 06:52 PM

I was told the same thing but the car I'm looking at buying is coming with this set up. Are track down here is bigger than some of other tracks I've seen so maybe it will be alright.

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 10187532)
2650 good for bashing, 1900 or a 2050 for racing

MTD 01-17-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Msc111 (Post 10187828)
I was told the same thing but the car I'm looking at buying is coming with this set up. Are track down here is bigger than some of other tracks I've seen so maybe it will be alright.

it will be fine. just have to control the finger is all and run times will be shorter

Msc111 01-17-2012 06:55 PM

Oh ok got you, Thanx . Yeah I know each is gonna have their pros n cons but after reading up a bit and having a lot of experience with nitro cars in the past electric is looking more n more the route I'm going .

Originally Posted by pcfriend (Post 10187517)
BL = brushless

Frank L 01-17-2012 07:57 PM

Replace the OR with AND run them both. Somehow I am faster with my e buggy. I'm not sure why but I have seen it several times. To me if I had to choose I would go nitro. The E stuff is fun but it feels like kids stuff t me. The sound and tune that a nitro sings is just pure pleasure to my ears.

tracktearer 01-17-2012 08:21 PM

would u watch a movie (specially action) without sound or would u prefer to watch it in surround sound?

MTD 01-17-2012 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 10188208)
Replace the OR with AND run them both. Somehow I am faster with my e buggy. I'm not sure why but I have seen it several times. To me if I had to choose I would go nitro. The E stuff is fun but it feels like kids stuff t me. The sound and tune that a nitro sings is just pure pleasure to my ears.

Originally Posted by tracktearer (Post 10188364)
would u watch a movie (specially action) without sound or would u prefer to watch it in surround sound?

+1....:nod::nod: