R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
Tech Elite

I totally disagree with EP needs less maintenance. I know a bunch of guys that run EP and they spend just as much time wrenching as us Nitro guys. I have seen them TUNE their electronics, change pinions, rebuild diffs and shocks, always monitor their temps with a temp gun, replacing burnt up speedos and motors at the track, ect.

I run nitro. I love all the problems it comes with. And I dont have many. I get tired of hearing people claim that EP is sooooo much easier. ITS NOT.

I have no problem with EP. I just dont like the false advertisements.
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

different strokes for different folks, but I like NITRO, its a more involved team work (pit crew) and little more knowledge needed, as you need to deal with the right plug, right tune, right clutch spring, right clutch shoes, fuel timing for the mains.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Lol I made a thread on both nitro and electric threads. But I see your point. Back when I was in the sport i was a die hard nitro fan but now i decided to go electric n give that a try, if I dnt like it I'll just get my self another nitro. I appreciate all of the input from everyone , Thanx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailblazerSS81 View Post
You put this on the nitro thread.......... what do you think people will tell you
Msc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #34
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Nitro and electric buggy are two different things.

For me, electric is nice but the top class is nitro buggy. I really like the tuned pipe and the engine's head coming out of the body. Plus, they look so cool when accelerating with the little blue smoke.

Electric is nice for the plug and play and for the low noise. They are incredibly fast...
Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i m tryin to decide on nitro or electric also, in this case the Mugen mbx6r or eco..
i m leaning towards to 6r as there are options to convert it to electric, but not the other way round..

btw, i heard from pro-nitro guys dat for 1/8 electric, due to the huge amount of current drawn, there is a tendency for the lipos to puff..
is it true?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We run eight scale nitro outdoors and tenth scale electric indoors. For us we like the sound/mechanics/teamwork of nitro outdoors. Just feels more like real full scale racing (we used to be heavy into MX). In fact we debated on what to run as a second class outdoors and considered elec. Decided to go with sound/mechanics/teamwork and went with a Losi Five-T.
Team Durango DEX410R, Castle MMP, Tekin 7.5, Hitec, Jconcepts
*Thanks Mugen for your support*
sjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #37
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC-AR15 View Post
If you can get both. I own a Nitro MBX5T and a Tekno MBX5T. Personally though the nitro truggy is without a doubt my absolute favorite!
The sounds, the smell, tuning, never gets old. On the other hand though running a brushless truggy with a 5s or 6s even 4s lipo is just insane. The speed and torque is incredible. If you can afford it. Get two of the same kind like myself. That way you can race two classes using the same platform and enjoy what each has to offer respectively. If you are just looking to maintain one vehicle. NITRO ALL THE WAY!
It's no more troublesome than electric. Like someone stated earlier, when something goes bad on an electric it's usually a major cost to repair and or long wait. When my nitro truck has a problem, usual clutch or tune, 15 minutes with my tools and I'm back out not too mention long as you bring her in to add fuel and rx/tx batteries are good you're rolling.
I will admit though. My brushless truggy will positively smoke the rear hides off my nitro truggy on its worse day! You should go to youtube and see for yourself what you like. Seeing is believing. We all can tell you how we feel but at the end of the day its just our opinion, YOU have to make this decision for yourself!

I am seriously looking into getting back into nitro after 5 years . I see a posting on ebay for MBX5T for pretty cheap on ebay . Is it a pretty good choice for nitro buggy . I mean reliability ?
rcgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #38
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I totally disagree with EP needs less maintenance. I know a bunch of guys that run EP and they spend just as much time wrenching as us Nitro guys. I have seen them TUNE their electronics, change pinions, rebuild diffs and shocks, always monitor their temps with a temp gun, replacing burnt up speedos and motors at the track, ect.

I run nitro. I love all the problems it comes with. And I dont have many. I get tired of hearing people claim that EP is sooooo much easier. ITS NOT.

I have no problem with EP. I just dont like the false advertisements.

bull

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatw73 View Post
i m tryin to decide on nitro or electric also, in this case the Mugen mbx6r or eco..
i m leaning towards to 6r as there are options to convert it to electric, but not the other way round..

btw, i heard from pro-nitro guys dat for 1/8 electric, due to the huge amount of current drawn, there is a tendency for the lipos to puff..
is it true?
May happen if something is binding the drive train(bad bearing, motor etc.) or maybe if it is not geared right. A clue will be if Lipo gets hot after running. It should never get hot. Just like anything going fast & is powerful keep an eye on everything. If you do batts should last 1 or 2 yrs.

Last edited by jwmustang; 01-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.
jwmustang is offline   Reply With Quote