R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracktearer View Post
would u watch a movie (specially action) without sound or would u prefer to watch it in surround sound?
Mainly why I choose nitro
dashstryk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD View Post
i disagree, electric does not like water. i have seen many tekins and castle esc's get smoked from running in wet grass and rainy weather.
I never said ESC is sealed. The motor is. Brush motors are not sealed at all so dirt is a problem.The Castle is better sealed than the Tekin. The Tekin has a small opening where the wires are connected. The Castle has rubber sealing it. I opened my Castle motor after a yr and there was no dirt in it, to me that is sealed. If I want something water proof then a traxxes is the way to go.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
I was told the same thing but the car I'm looking at buying is coming with this set up. Are track down here is bigger than some of other tracks I've seen so maybe it will be alright.
Where is here?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

harlingen , texas
Msc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
MTD
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmustang View Post
I never said ESC is sealed. The motor is. Brush motors are not sealed at all so dirt is a problem.The Castle is better sealed than the Tekin. The Tekin has a small opening where the wires are connected. The Castle has rubber sealing it. I opened my Castle motor after a yr and there was no dirt in it, to me that is sealed. If I want something water proof then a traxxes is the way to go.
...traxxas, most good 1/8 electric motors i have ran are vented, (hence...have holes in case/can for cooling) i feel the cheap motors that dont have this are cheap/junk. (just my opinion) i have run every electric buggy/truggy/monster truck made and always back to nitro. i have had tekin rx8, castle, and same thing. if they quit can you fix them without sending them in and waiting 3 to 4 weeks for a return? nope, and if you do warranty is void., with my nitro if i snap a rod or well....pretty much anything, i can fix myself in 15 minutes. when they make a electric ESC/MOTER That you can fix with minor parts by yourself instead of waiting 3-4 weeks for a return i might concider. as for water proof, i dont run my nitro in wet conditions at all, but would not smoke my 200+ esc if i did...LMAO......because i run nitro only
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
Tech Elite

I started racing with 1/8 E buggy. But there's isn't a lot of competition over here in electric buggy. The E class had usually ours 8-10 drivers, while the nitro was a lot bigger. Also the skill is higher in nitro which is good if you want to learn fast.
I prefer nitro over electric and I'm problably converting my electric mbx6 back to nitro to run it at a local backyard track to train my a finger. It's too smooth for nitro
Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default POST

since you posted this in the nitro section youre going to get more people leaning towards nitro. both have pros and cons and i own both.
delane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by delane74 View Post
since you posted this in the nitro section youre going to get more people leaning towards nitro. both have pros and cons and i own both.
Indeed, but some people drive both.
If you want to be a better driver, I'd go nitro. All the pro's have been driving nitro for 5-10 years or even more and they won't switch that fast to electric. At least, that's the situation over here.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc111 View Post
Just want some insight on the electric vs nitro. Been out of the sport for about 6 years. Last car I was driving was a nitro 1/8 buggy. The new electrics look nice and easier maintenance wise. What are your thoughts? Do they drive and handle the same? Is the electric to stay in this class or will it die out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You put this on the nitro thread.......... what do you think people will tell you
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #25
Tech Champion

N I T R O ! ! !

-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Talking

There really not much difference nitro or electric I own both. They both require a lot of maintenance speed is the same just go with what you like.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

As others have said, both have their pros and cons. Electric does require less maintenance and you just charge your batt and go. But you can only run for 15-20 mins on a single batt. With nitro you can run until your rx batt dies (1hr+). Electric is harder on the drive train, so it will require more maintenance in that area. Nitro will require tuning (which should be very minimum if you buy a good engine) and clutch maintenance. I have owned both and the one thing that was a big plus for the electric was when practicing: you don't have to worry about flaming out if you crash during a practice run and you are all by yourself. I own a track myself and I used to use my electric when I was going through the process of building a new layout. On the flip side, I personally get bored running electric pretty quick. There is just something about nitro that keeps me going.... One big plus for nitro is the longer mains! With electric, they will only run mains up to 10 or 15 minutes, while with nitro the a main is generally 30 minutes, if not longer!

I would also recommend to look at what classes are big in your local area. Here in MI the electric 1/8th scale class is slowly shrinking and nitro is (finally) slowly growing. You might want to talk to some locals to see what the trend is, so that you won't be surprised that your class is gone locally in 6 months....
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
As others have said, both have their pros and cons. Electric does require less maintenance and you just charge your batt and go. But you can only run for 15-20 mins on a single batt. With nitro you can run until your rx batt dies (1hr+). Electric is harder on the drive train, so it will require more maintenance in that area. Nitro will require tuning (which should be very minimum if you buy a good engine) and clutch maintenance. I have owned both and the one thing that was a big plus for the electric was when practicing: you don't have to worry about flaming out if you crash during a practice run and you are all by yourself. I own a track myself and I used to use my electric when I was going through the process of building a new layout. On the flip side, I personally get bored running electric pretty quick. There is just something about nitro that keeps me going.... One big plus for nitro is the longer mains! With electric, they will only run mains up to 10 or 15 minutes, while with nitro the a main is generally 30 minutes, if not longer!

I would also recommend to look at what classes are big in your local area. Here in MI the electric 1/8th scale class is slowly shrinking and nitro is (finally) slowly growing. You might want to talk to some locals to see what the trend is, so that you won't be surprised that your class is gone locally in 6 months....
+1 good points
Sirio. 21, .24
tecnopower b02t, t02t
tracktearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to IROC-AR15 Send a message via Skype™ to IROC-AR15

If you can get both. I own a Nitro MBX5T and a Tekno MBX5T. Personally though the nitro truggy is without a doubt my absolute favorite!
The sounds, the smell, tuning, never gets old. On the other hand though running a brushless truggy with a 5s or 6s even 4s lipo is just insane. The speed and torque is incredible. If you can afford it. Get two of the same kind like myself. That way you can race two classes using the same platform and enjoy what each has to offer respectively. If you are just looking to maintain one vehicle. NITRO ALL THE WAY!
It's no more troublesome than electric. Like someone stated earlier, when something goes bad on an electric it's usually a major cost to repair and or long wait. When my nitro truck has a problem, usual clutch or tune, 15 minutes with my tools and I'm back out not too mention long as you bring her in to add fuel and rx/tx batteries are good you're rolling.
I will admit though. My brushless truggy will positively smoke the rear hides off my nitro truggy on its worse day! You should go to youtube and see for yourself what you like. Seeing is believing. We all can tell you how we feel but at the end of the day its just our opinion, YOU have to make this decision for yourself!
#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love
IROC-AR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #30
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post

+2
Since u got elect. u can just as easy turn the RC8 back to Nitro if u ever wish to. So u have nothing to lose. Bottom line u picked a good car it is flexible & u will enjoy this sport.