Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Cleaning tips and tricks >

Nitro Cleaning tips and tricks

Nitro Cleaning tips and tricks

Old 01-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Nitro Cleaning tips and tricks

How do you guys clean your rc after a dirty day? Post all your tips and tricks as I know there are hundreds of ways to do it!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

And almost a hundred threads talking abt this before. Go Search.

Air compressor, WD40, SC1, Kalgard, Simple Green, Pledge,etc.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by adrictan
And almost a hundred threads talking abt this before. Go Search.

Air compressor, WD40, SC1, Kalgard, Simple Green, Pledge,etc.

You the new thread nazi or something? Illegal to start a fresh one? I searched cleaning tips didnt see what I wanted.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The biggest suggestion i could give would be to Clean as the day goes on. After each heat, Take a quality paint brush and brush all the dirt/oil off the rear end and don't allow that Layer of gunk to build up making it a rather dirty job if left till the end of the day. Chemicals will also help, Simple green, kal gard ect....
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
The biggest suggestion i could give would be to Clean as the day goes on. After each heat, Take a quality paint brush and brush all the dirt/oil off the rear end and don't allow that Layer of gunk to build up making it a rather dirty job if left till the end of the day. Chemicals will also help, Simple green, kal gard ect....

I ran the other day at my track and at about 2 or so tanks on the track I noticed the dirt was building up pretty bad (it was rather wet) and I took the buggy of the track for the day and waited to clean it till it was dry. I think I might have been able to remove the dirt more easily when it was wet though.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Scrub it down using Pledge. I learned this from one of the old pros at our club. It makes the plastic look brand new, it repels dust so your kit doesn't pick up quite as much dirt later (you can use it on your body shells too), and it smells lemony fresh.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wallee
I ran the other day at my track and at about 2 or so tanks on the track I noticed the dirt was building up pretty bad (it was rather wet) and I took the buggy of the track for the day and waited to clean it till it was dry. I think I might have been able to remove the dirt more easily when it was wet though.

If the rear end is "overly wet with oil/Grime" i would say your running on the Rich side of thing's. There's obviously a sweet spot but That's a good indication if your running Fat. A Brief Cleaning after running is IMO better than waiting till you get home.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I try to use a compressor between run if not I use a brush at home I Cover the center diff and spray lemon simple green hit compressor then pledge compressor wipe done I use the losi grey pads they don't like chemicals
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

If the rear end is "overly wet with oil/Grime" i would say your running on the Rich side of thing's. There's obviously a sweet spot but That's a good indication if your running Fat. A Brief Cleaning after running is IMO better than waiting till you get home.
Perhaps he means that the dirt was wet

I clean my buggy with Muc off. Spray some on the buggy, let it sit for 2min and blow it off. If it's only a little dirty, I use a brush.

And on saturday night I make sure that I reamed my A arms and cleans the hinge pins so I have a free suspension on the raceday. I mainly race on astroturf so that's pretty low maintenance.

And after the weekend, I clean my drive train and bearing. I drive my 1 bearings with only 1 shield on it so they are easy to clean them. I throw them in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few mins and then relube them.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

I mean with caked up mud, not oil Im running in tune.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morgoth
Perhaps he means that the dirt was wet

I clean my buggy with Muc off. Spray some on the buggy, let it sit for 2min and blow it off. If it's only a little dirty, I use a brush.

And on saturday night I make sure that I reamed my A arms and cleans the hinge pins so I have a free suspension on the raceday. I mainly race on astroturf so that's pretty low maintenance.

And after the weekend, I clean my drive train and bearing. I drive my 1 bearings with only 1 shield on it so they are easy to clean them. I throw them in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few mins and then relube them.

Yeah I run primarily offroad so dirt and dust is gonna happen and occasionally mud as well. Anyone else get into mud buildup ever?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you use an air compressor, be carefull. They are great for removing dirt and dust, but they also go a great job of forcing dirt/dust into bearings.
+1 on cleaning it throughout the day, simple green sprayed on a towel works great.
I tear my cars completely down after each race day, maybe not the diffs. I clean everything by hand, re-do the shocks, check nearly every part for wear, damage and dirt, make sure each part moves freely. Haven't had a mechanical failure in 15+ years!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Can of compressed air anywhere near as good as the compressor?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah I run primarily offroad so dirt and dust is gonna happen and occasionally mud as well. Anyone else get into mud buildup ever?
I race with my electric mbx6 at a backyard which is 50% astro and 50% loose dirt. When the dirt is wet, it sticks to your car as well.
I blow the dirt of. Then spray it with muc off (bike/motor cleaner) and blow it off again. After 2-3 meetings I clean my hinge pins and A arms. Usually on a friday night when I don't have to prepare my nitro car for a race
1 meeting is only 30mins of driving and my electric is my racing car from last year so I don't race with it anymore. I only run it at the backyard track of a friend or sometimes a 1/10 track where no nitro is allowed.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Can of compressed air anywhere near as good as the compressor?
You may go through one fast, but yes, any source of compressed air will be useful for clearing out loose dust from hard-to-reach places. It won't get the caked-on stuff off however. You'll have to scrub using some sort of non-harsh cleaner. An old toothbrush is great for scrubbing grooved surfaces too, like the shock body and springs, engine surfaces, etc etc.

Just an FYI, don't go overboard with nitro cleaner spray on your kit. It's great for getting off access oil, like what sometimes builds up on the engine crankcase, but you don't really want to spray areas with bearings too much, as it can eventually wash out the bearing grease.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.