Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's killing me to chose.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Default It's killing me to chose.

I'm really having a tough time deciding on which Truggy to buy. I know all the Truggys are great, It's just tough to chose from. I like to race and bash around and tare up and down my street, but in the end I still can't pick one. Can you guys shoot some opions my way please so I can make up my damn mind.

Here's my top picks...in random order...
1. Serpent S811T "Cobra T" 1/8 Scale Competition Truggy.
2. Mugen MBX6T M-Spec 1/8 Scale Off-Road Competition Truggy
3. Losi 8IGHT-T 2.0 1/8 4WD RTR Truggy
4. Hot Bodies D8T 1/8 Off Road Competition Truggy
5. XRAY XT8 2009 Spec 1/8 Luxury Racing Truggy
6. Team Associated RC8T Nitro Factory Team Championship Edition.

To me these are all great, so narrow it down for me guys
Old 01-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Whichever one you can get local parts support for. That would be the only deciding factory in your situation. You bash and race at the local club level. None of the trucks is going to be faster or better than the other for what you are doing. Some of them will however have to sit longer than others if you have to source parts from somewhere other than the LHS.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
I'm really having a tough time deciding on which Truggy to buy. I know all the Truggys are great, It's just tough to chose from. I like to race and bash around and tare up and down my street, but in the end I still can't pick one. Can you guys shoot some opions my way please so I can make up my damn mind.

Here's my top picks...in random order...
1. Serpent S811T "Cobra T" 1/8 Scale Competition Truggy.
2. Mugen MBX6T M-Spec 1/8 Scale Off-Road Competition Truggy
3. Losi 8IGHT-T 2.0 1/8 4WD RTR Truggy
4. Hot Bodies D8T 1/8 Off Road Competition Truggy
5. XRAY XT8 2009 Spec 1/8 Luxury Racing Truggy
6. Team Associated RC8T Nitro Factory Team Championship Edition.

To me these are all great, so narrow it down for me guys
Here is my two choices !

Serpent ! the car is sexy, like a exotic sports car, extremely durable, can take all sorts of crazy hits and not break.Very fast.and just all around awesome ! but requires a little more skill and time to maintain IMHO

Mugen ! very ready to roll right out of the box...very complete and IMO very user friendly platform in all areas...however it is not very impact resistant in the front end...other then that it is a killer car..
Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have been driving/abusing a RC8T for the last 2 years and it has been near bullet proof. I have broken 1 front lower arm and replaced the rears prior to my last race due to wear in the pin bores and replaced 3 shock mount bushes. I have been through 5 bodies (Perfecting the art of crashing with style). I put a longer horn on my steering servo, had to trim the battery box lid, to get more steering. It now turns in better than the Mugens and is more settled on rougher sections of the tracks that I race on, that came from 2 mugen drivers and I have not had any issues with diffs or front arms breaking, I pit with 2 lads that race mugens. The mugens are the flavour of the month but with no disrespect they are no where near as strong as the AE.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racerx336
Whichever one you can get local parts support for.
+1. All the truggies you listed are great choices. Choose the one that's the easiest to get parts for.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Here is my two choices !

Serpent ! the car is sexy, like a exotic sports car, extremely durable, can take all sorts of crazy hits and not break.Very fast.and just all around awesome ! but requires a little more skill and time to maintain IMHO

Mugen ! very ready to roll right out of the box...very complete and IMO very user friendly platform in all areas...however it is not very impact resistant in the front end...other then that it is a killer car..
I have to agree with Neal, if money is not an issue get the Serpent... It's hard to beat. I bought a used one and haven't touched a truggy in 3yrs and still put it in the A with ease....
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
cdc
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zao18
+1. All the truggies you listed are great choices. Choose the one that's the easiest to get parts for.
+2
Old 01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zao18
Yeah I live right down the steet from Larry's Performane R/C's and he's got everything for the most part there in his shop. One of the best hobby shops I've been to in 20 years as far as getting parts that you could ever need. Awesome selection.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you have a LHS that stocks expensive truggy parts on the shelf...conical gears, CVDs, etc, then that is one badass shop. Truth is most local shops will have jack diddly for parts. Don't confuse the "they're a dealer" as having parts in stock, unless you like waiting on parts. I don't have any LHS that stocks parts for my buggy or truggy. I order my parts and keep spares of popular replacement items.

I ended up with the M-Spec because the opportunity came to get one super cheap. I love that it's probably the most race-ready out of the box. But if I had the money, I'd take the Serpent in a heartbeat. I don't care for the bland RC8 and the 2.0T is easy to put a good tune on, but has lots of upgrade options you'll sink money into.

See what people near you run and try and take their truck for a few laps. Find what helps your driving style and what you like.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rsickles
If you have a LHS that stocks expensive truggy parts on the shelf...conical gears, CVDs, etc, then that is one badass shop. Truth is most local shops will have jack diddly for parts. Don't confuse the "they're a dealer" as having parts in stock, unless you like waiting on parts. I don't have any LHS that stocks parts for my buggy or truggy. I order my parts and keep spares of popular replacement items.

I ended up with the M-Spec because the opportunity came to get one super cheap. I love that it's probably the most race-ready out of the box. But if I had the money, I'd take the Serpent in a heartbeat. I don't care for the bland RC8 and the 2.0T is easy to put a good tune on, but has lots of upgrade options you'll sink money into.

See what people near you run and try and take their truck for a few laps. Find what helps your driving style and what you like.
Yeah Larry's r/c shop is not a normal shop. I live just north of detroit and this place has a indoor track as well as four other outdoor tracks with in 5 miles of the joint. The place is always packed wall to wall with people from micro scales to bajas. parts are everywhere lol. The mugen and serpent are my top two for sure. thank you for your input.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

The other question I have is since this is the beginning of 2012 is there any new versions of the truggies coming out in the near future? I would hate to buy one in a week or so only to have a newer version come out a short time later?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by J.Whiting; 01-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Flip it
I have been driving/abusing a RC8T for the last 2 years and it has been near bullet proof. I have broken 1 front lower arm and replaced the rears prior to my last race due to wear in the pin bores and replaced 3 shock mount bushes. I have been through 5 bodies (Perfecting the art of crashing with style). I put a longer horn on my steering servo, had to trim the battery box lid, to get more steering. It now turns in better than the Mugens and is more settled on rougher sections of the tracks that I race on, that came from 2 mugen drivers and I have not had any issues with diffs or front arms breaking, I pit with 2 lads that race mugens. The mugens are the flavour of the month but with no disrespect they are no where near as strong as the AE.

+1 on the RC8TCE thats not coming from a bias view ethier .

I run remmend it to this guy asking us on this tread.

The RC8TCE ran as nitro with the battery box foward it will out turn many other truggys.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Prophet

The other question I have is since this is the beginning of 2012 is there any new versions of the truggies coming out in the near future? I would hate to buy one in a week or so only to have a newer version come out a short time later?

I doubt there will be a whole new design of a truggy just upgrade improvements on them.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

The mugen and serpent are my top two for sure. thank you for your input.
There are a couple guys who run Serpent truggies at the track here. I have no hands-on experience, but I will say this: they look aggressive and they definitely handle aggressive. Just from watching them, the Serpent strikes me as a truggy that likes getting pushed hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.