R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zao18 View Post
There are a couple guys who run Serpent truggies at the track here. I have no hands-on experience, but I will say this: they look aggressive and they definitely handle aggressive. Just from watching them, the Serpent strikes me as a truggy that likes getting pushed hard.

Ive never owned the Serpent truggys but i know there light for a truggy and i was watching two guys race who owns them. And to me they look pretty fishtailly when they where trying to drive them hard it could be the setup there using .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #17

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

yes all the truggy's you have on the list are good.. for me it would serpent.. i have ran mugen also and the truggy is nice.. so either one you go with make sure you can get parts or have parts on hand.. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RC8TCE

I Have a brand new RC8TCE for sale in the for sale section... Just sayin.. I assembled it and have done a buch of staring ever since. $450 and it's yours
Careyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
Tech Adept

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=49497SD
get the 3 items to the left under related products and you got a bulletproof truggy for around 300!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drs92

Serpent- low wear rate, light, corner speed, steering, durable, sensitive to adjustments, lowest cg

Hotbodies - Cheap in price, good bang for the buck on track, durable, high(ER) wear rate, cheapest parts, consistent, can be pushed, easy to drive

Losi - good when they slop, wear fast but that's how they work, cheap parts, more for a finess driver, loose rear, not as much steering

Mugen - love the rough, stable, good steering, light, great wear rate, stock up on arms? Parts are up there but it doesn't wear fast. Easy to wheel.

AE - heavy/ "lazy feel", awesome shocks, great steering, rough sections not to hot

Can't comment to much on the AE as I just picked it up, not in my hands. After driving Hoabo, Durango, Serpent, Losi... Imo you can't go wrong with anything you choose. ME? I would go with the D8T over all just because of the price and performance ..
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I have an RC8T and a Serpent. I loved my RC8T back in the day, that is until I bought my Serpent. The RC8T was great at one time, but unless your name is 'Ryan', you should be much faster with a Serpent. It's fairly durable, but the TB rod ends are weak, and break at the worst time ( like when you're leading in a race ) That was annoying, annoying enough that I fixed the problem by putting LST2 rod ends on my TB. The Diffs are top notch IMO. The performance is lack-luster next to the Serpent. I know that many will argue that it's the "champ", I disagree..I say Maifield is the champ, and would be untouchable with a Serpent if you ask me.

I say this because when I switched from my AE to Serpent, I was instantly faster without any setup time on the machine( 4 seconds/lap on avg, and I beat my fastest lap by over 4 seconds, and my consistency changed dramatically ) It seemed that every weekend that I went racing I shattered all our track records ( fastest top 5, fastest top 10, fastest top 20, and fastest single lap ). I can't argue with results, especially considering I never had a whole lot of time to set it up for me. I love the linkage setup not it..at first I was skeptical, but I wouldn't go back to the standard linkages after running this design. Also, the quality of the plastics, and metals are top notch, the thing is like a jewel beside the other truggies.

It's also the toughest truggy out there IMO ( I know some will argue this point, but I'm just drawing from my own experiences with it ) The only part I broke all season long was one rear camber link rod end. Considering how hard I drive this thing, that's amazing..I had many horrific crashes that I expected to break an arm or rod end, but that never happened. As Maximo mentioned, the maintenance is slightly harder than some other platforms, but not by a whole lot. This truck turns on a dime, and is the most stable I've seen..it's an on-power machine, and the rear end is planted out of the turns ( assuming you're setup isn't all wanked out ), it tracks straight and goes exactly where you point the wheels. I haven't wrecked any diffs yet, and I'll be happy if the diffs last as my AE ( over 35 gallons on them before I blew one ), but that's unlikely ( who knows though ) Build it right and it will treat you well.

It has some bad points, but not many..one being a weak CB, but that's peanuts.

The Mugens in our club are fast, but break WAY too much for my liking..too bad they don't address the issue. The guys in our club are really getting frustrated with their durability, but not the performance ( they are great when they don't break, and when guys in our club switched over to them, my RC8T felt really slow all of a sudden, and I was having one hell of a time making the top 3, and winning was getting harder and harder..then I bought my Serpent and started winning again with much less effort, and the Cows are now chasing Snake ) The guys in our club are scared to push their Mugens hard in fear of breaking the a-arms, yet they still break them, even on clean landings. Some will argue that if you crash at high speed, any truck will break, but they're just trying to make themselves feel better because other trucks aren't breaking like the Mugens in our club..too bad because they sure perform well.

Hope that helps you some
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As Maximo mentioned, the maintenance is slightly harder than some other platforms, but not by a whole lot.

What are the issues with the serpents in regards to maintenance?
Flip it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #23
Tech Champion

I don't doubt people became faster with their Serpents, but honestly, you never hear of people changing brands and becoming slower.. Sometimes maybe just a change is what's needed...

The Associated is still right up there at the top of the truggy class... Very tough too..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip it View Post
As Maximo mentioned, the maintenance is slightly harder than some other platforms, but not by a whole lot.

What are the issues with the serpents in regards to maintenance?
Just keep an eye on the bearings
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would buy a Serpent in a heartbeat. The only thing I dislike is the bearing choices they used. To me, there is no place on a truggy for a 8x14x4mm bearing. Just not durable enough for what a truggy goes through.

Now Mugen is a great truggy too but there is definitely a front arm issue. Nuff said about that.

I would give the D8T a try. Other than the 8x14's in the front knuckles (which can be changed to King Headz), it's both cheap to run and durable.

Just mo....
Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #26
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Ive never owned the Serpent truggys but i know there light for a truggy and i was watching two guys race who owns them. And to me they look pretty fishtailly when they where trying to drive them hard it could be the setup there using .
nowhere near as fishtaily as the RC8T.....IMO the RC8T is the loosest truggy on the market.....maybe its ultra fast for a top pro, but for the average club racer its out of control.....definitely not a novices machine ....reminds me very much of a Jammin X2...amazing on ultra high bite smooth tracks, horrible on loose rough tracks
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs92 View Post
Serpent- low wear rate, light, corner speed, steering, durable, sensitive to adjustments, lowest cg

Hotbodies - Cheap in price, good bang for the buck on track, durable, high(ER) wear rate, cheapest parts, consistent, can be pushed, easy to drive

Losi - good when they slop, wear fast but that's how they work, cheap parts, more for a finess driver, loose rear, not as much steering

Mugen - love the rough, stable, good steering, light, great wear rate, stock up on arms? Parts are up there but it doesn't wear fast. Easy to wheel.

AE - heavy/ "lazy feel", awesome shocks, great steering, rough sections not to hot

Can't comment to much on the AE as I just picked it up, not in my hands. After driving Hoabo, Durango, Serpent, Losi... Imo you can't go wrong with anything you choose. ME? I would go with the D8T over all just because of the price and performance ..

Thats the old RC8T the Rc8tce is far from feeling heavy and lazy if you use 7000 w in the rear diff it will feel like that. Its great to me in the rough but im coming from running a losi eight-t 1.0.

Maximo: Im just looking at the serpent truggy by view i never driven it but when ive seen it be driven hard on a loose/dusty track it looked pretty loose to me.

The RC8TCE is from from loose and im a club racer i ran my as nitro and electric and its pretty stable to me you just have to change the rear diff oil to 3000w or 5000w not 7000w R.

I can hang right with guys who run the serpent truggys its all the driver anyways.

And the RC8TCE is pretty good on rough tracks if you ask me this is not a bias view.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The serpent is good except it seems to have a fatal defect. The front diff gears appear to have an issue. 3 of our club pro's run this truggy and each of them went through two pairs of the diff gears:

http://serpent.com/product/600201/

I am sure Serpent will, and possibly has addressed this already; personally, this kills the brand for me. Of your listed brands, I would probably go with the RC8T (If you're an above average driver) or the D8T. The D8T will wear faster than the other brands so keep in mind that the low price of the kit is deceiving. It's handling however is very good.

All this being said; if most racers at your home track are running kit X go with kit X. It makes getting emergency parts a whole lot less stressful.

Later,

Be sure to checkout "Come Drive With Us!"

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTEAMGUY
CoryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
+1 on the RC8TCE thats not coming from a bias view ethier .

I run remmend it to this guy asking us on this tread.

The RC8TCE ran as nitro with the battery box foward it will out turn many other truggys.
You really love that Associated huh
Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs92 View Post
You really love that Associated huh

No im just saying it doesnt feel heavy and slow into corners thats me though.
A guy a race with thinks the same way.

If your really used to driving a lighter truggy than going to a heavyer truggy i can understand that thats a big change.