Wiki Posts
Search

Tire discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tire discussion.

Been looking for some new tires for my hyper buggy, I run on my own track which is mostly really soft loamy dirt. Alot of times sticky. I been looking at the pro-line badlands XTR anyone run these? if so how do they do and what others are there out there?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wallee
Been looking for some new tires for my hyper buggy, I run on my own track which is mostly really soft loamy dirt. Alot of times sticky. I been looking at the pro-line badlands XTR anyone run these? if so how do they do and what others are there out there?
Badlands are one of the most aggressive tires around. Should throw a good roost in the soft dirt.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Badlands are one of the most aggressive tires around. Should throw a good roost in the soft dirt.

Thats what I figured, They look like my Mx tires ha ha. Anyone you know of race with them?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Honestly badlands are bashing tires. There not consistant and not used for any type of race scene. Good all around tires are always small pin like grid irons from aka, hole shots or tazers from pro-line, Turbo trax fro vp-pro, etc. But small pins don't last as long as a standard pinned tires. Some do but for example the hole shots in soft wont last as long as a tazer in soft or sniper because pin is taller on them but not much same as grid iron. Other tires for loose dirt but more for wet loose would be aka ibeam, pro line caliber(also great for dry loose), aka city block, pro line bow tie, vp pro ax men, vp pro blades, gripz, and cut offs. Theres a bit tire selection with AKA and Pro-line as most popular but some places can be found with similar treads and a whole lot cheaper. Also each company has a tire chart read it and choose on what conditions you feel fit most..
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Nice, I mostly bash and my tires usually last me a really long time. For a competition racer how long does it take to wear out a pair of tires? like 1 or 2 races?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nice, I mostly bash and my tires usually last me a really long time. For a competition racer how long does it take to wear out a pair of tires? like 1 or 2 races?
Really depends on tread and use. If tire is used on proper track meating the specs its made to do they last a good bit. I prefer grid irons super soft for revelation raceway here in California and its a loose loomy track that dont hold water on top for a long time. They last around 2 race days before i make them practice tires. Give or take on track wear but thats on super soft which if your budget you can just use softs with a lil less consistancy but not a whole lot. I would rather use a ibeam or bow tie over bad lands if you want to go on a track. Those tires will traction roll etc.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Well like I said I have a decent size track I built on my place. I just got into buggy I have been just bashing in the past with my nitro MT's. Eventually I would like to be racing and hold some races at my track. Thats a ways down the road ha ha. I really just thought the badlands looked like they would really hook up in the soft dirt. I didnt figure tires such as the pro-line caliber would get as much traction. I could be teribly wrong though.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Calibers are actually dual tires. They have a Y-pin design. With the Y tread facing forward, they are good for loose dusty tracks that are hard packed underneath. With the Y facin backwards, they are good for the loamy stuff.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

So the standard peg looking tires such as these
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...te-2-Low-Flexx

what are they best on?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thats what I figured, They look like my Mx tires ha ha. Anyone you know of race with them?

Braaaap! This dude is the Costa Rican MT champ.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Precision1

Braaaap! This dude is the Costa Rican MT champ.

Dam now thats some lugs on them tires
Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Those are some nice tires, is that a muggy??
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Using treads like the Badlands in sandy/loamy conditions will put a lot of stress on the engine and you will end up running the engine very hot. Based on my experience running on loamy/sandy tracks, you are better off with something like an I-Beam, which will give you more wheel spin, but still good traction, and it will put a lot less stress on the engine (as the tires are actually spinning instead of digging). Just my $0.02
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348
Using treads like the Badlands in sandy/loamy conditions will put a lot of stress on the engine and you will end up running the engine very hot. Based on my experience running on loamy/sandy tracks, you are better off with something like an I-Beam, which will give you more wheel spin, but still good traction, and it will put a lot less stress on the engine (as the tires are actually spinning instead of digging). Just my $0.02

So a little spinning will actually be better than overgripping? I see what your saying with the stress on the engine from over traction.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

I've raced on a loamy track last year and the local guys were running AKA grid iron when the dirt was wet in the morning. In the afternoon, the dirt was very loose and the local guys were running AKA cross brace tires.