R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Interesting..... BUT, what you are not mentioning JAZ, is that there are several companies that are made by a single manufacturer which is like the GM model of Hummer, Saturn, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Saab, etc.... So small or big companies is sort of irrelevant and misleading to a certain extent. Look at our sales vs everything we are doing. The new 1/10 lineup is a lot of $$$ and we are coming out with a new 1/10 truggy and sc truck even though US sales are relatively small compared to the big boys out there.

Also, so what is your opinion then of this.....

Xray was the first to copy Losi. Agama copied Xray and Losi......story continues...

Caster was the first to copy Mugen. Sworks copied Caster and Mugen.... story continues.....

Each company starts with something and then changes it to be better in their opinion. Either in performance, price, or looks. Or hopefully a combination of all. Also, there are only so many different ways to set up a rc car and follow rules of racing. For example, what if someone built a 1/8 buggy that looked like a Savage monster truck and started killing it on the track? Then what other than ROAR and IFMAR and RCPro having to jump in. It is bad enough that they freak out about bodies, etc...

Caster has moved away from the mbx6 as time goes by. Sworkz makes a beautiful car. You can bet, (especially considering the looks difference of the S10B) that once we get the sc trucks done, that the Caster will get a needed update, and Sworkz is part of the reason. Our cars have improved and improved, so competition works if the companies want to sell a great product.

Jason, is this supposed to be US based? If not, you forgot several other companies. Also is this 1/8 nitro buggy only?
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You make valid points Mike but you forgot to mention that just like the 1:1 cars that come out of the same factory, all the RC cars that come from the same factory are built to manufacturers specifications. The aluminum, plastics and geometry are all different as is chassis design and layout. There are home building companies that will build you a million Dollar home using all top quality materials and yet that very same construction company can also build you a $100,000 home using Pine and other cheap construction materials. It's all relavent. I will say this though, in mine and many other racers opinion X-RAY puts out by far the best quality RC cars but for some reason they are almost half the price of Kyosho vehicles. Why do you think that is?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
I think that in most markets increased competition is always a good thing because it forces companies to innovate ways that can allow them to give the customer more value. However, in the current market that is full of companies that have no problem with copying other businesses product designs and manufacturing them with less quality at a cheaper price, the consumers do not win. The problem is that when the actual innovators of the industry start to loose market share to the counterfeiters and copy cats, they have less of a chance of staying in business. I watched this happen in the automotive aftermarket industry and hopefully wont see it happy in the RC industry.
RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Pro-Line Racing | Airtronics l Avid | Powermaster Racing Fuels | StickIt1 Racing | BUKU | Red Rock Hobbies
jonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Competition doesn’t hurt personally I don’t want any company monopolizing the market everything will be expensive. The last few years have been amazing so much more products/ selections it’s awesome.

These new companies do copy other brands its being going forever period. The last big read was Hobby Pro and all their products being similar or equal to others companies morally is it wrong “Yes” but our government allows this practice therefore its fair game unless you have a patent CC but think about it where did the original company get this idea Hum from someone else and they just made it better that way its not patented

People say your wrong for buying “WHY” it’s allowed it’s an industry standard. People say I will never buy a foreign Asian product guess what you DO. I love new companies and I’m always look for copies cause of price especially cause were in an economic hardship error companies that markup there products for a 50% return deserve competition in my eyes it makes for innovation and better pricing.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Hmmm. 10+ brands of tires that each have 5+ treads in 3+ compounds available with foams, without foams, or pre-mounted on white or yellow wheels. Roughly 600 combinations. Only people that can stock that type of product as well as keep parts for 10+ brands of buggies is your mega-online-hobbyshops. Good for consumer choice and price, bad for LHS.
lknracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Procircuit tire brand.

what i see is so many brands and getting them locally is hard.

if you want something "special" have to go to online sources.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
You make valid points Mike but you forgot to mention that just like the 1:1 cars that come out of the same factory, all the RC cars that come from the same factory are built to manufacturers specifications. The aluminum, plastics and geometry are all different as is chassis design and layout. There are home building companies that will build you a million Dollar home using all top quality materials and yet that very same construction company can also build you a $100,000 home using Pine and other cheap construction materials. It's all relavent. I will say this though, in mine and many other racers opinion X-RAY puts out by far the best quality RC cars but for some reason they are almost half the price of Kyosho vehicles. Why do you think that is?
Currency exchange rate and cost of manufacturing in their domestic markets.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post

Well, I remember talking to the guys at a hobby store that went out of business a few years ago, and their biggest complaint was there was not any hobby store markup for them, especially from a percentage basis. So it depends on what the manufacturer wants to make vs how much a distributor wants to make vs how much a hobby store wants to make all in reference to what a customer is willing to pay for the product. it is a very fine line.

But absolutely, you can make a great product or you can make a cheap product, or something inbetween.

Back to 1.1 cars. Just imagine where Kia and Hyundai would be if they weren't copying BMW and Mercedes? but on the other hand, they will never be a BMW or Mercedes reputationwise.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote