Community
Wiki Posts
Search

paint weight

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Default paint weight

I was thinking about this as i was browsing trough the buggy pics thread and wondered just how much weight you could save running a "boring" one color/low coat paint scheme i know on its own it wouldn't really make that much of a difference, depending on the scheme i guess, but coupled with a whole range of other lightweight parts it might just in total add up to a whole bunch of dead weight saved. and also since the body is one of the highest sitting "parts" on your car too..so there s that whole CoG argument too. ive heard from alot of peeps running titanium screws that they only do the top of the chassis also fir this reason alone...it keeps the weight down low.
i know on some of the scemes i have made i use alot of paint, especially since i do rattle can jobs and some have some detail.
has anyone else considered this or weighed unpainted body vs a highly painted one? not just that, all these body vinyls/wraps and decals we put/couple with them too. Ive noticed that recently guys like Reno Savoya has been running pretty "simple" pne/two color paint scemes too.
what are your thoughts?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
I was thinking about this as i was browsing trough the buggy pics thread and wondered just how much weight you could save running a "boring" one color/low coat paint scheme i know on its own it wouldn't really make that much of a difference, depending on the scheme i guess, but coupled with a whole range of other lightweight parts it might just in total add up to a whole bunch of dead weight saved. and also since the body is one of the highest sitting "parts" on your car too..so there s that whole CoG argument too. ive heard from alot of peeps running titanium screws that they only do the top of the chassis also fir this reason alone...it keeps the weight down low.
i know on some of the scemes i have made i use alot of paint, especially since i do rattle can jobs and some have some detail.
has anyone else considered this or weighed unpainted body vs a highly painted one? not just that, all these body vinyls/wraps and decals we put/couple with them too. Ive noticed that recently guys like Reno Savoya has been running pretty "simple" pne/two color paint scemes too.
what are your thoughts?
I dont tihink it does anything really. If you can feel a diffrence from a paint job or wrap then you defanitly need a job in rear industry racing. But seriously almost all the pros run paint or wraps. Drake has been more wrap lately, as maifield always runs paint. I don't think lighter paint jobs make you faster. If your a weight watcher which some are. They try to get there car to barely pass legal then yeah if its last ditch but i dont think paint adds much. A wrap i would say adds double because you still have to back the wrap if you dont want clear spots.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Body weight from paint?

Does it matter enough to feel on the track? I don't think so in offroad. Most everything is so overpowered that you probably wouldn't ever notice it.

The only time I can think taking into account the weight of a body with paint on, might be 1/12th onroad. Yet even then, I'd think it's a big might. I'm sure there are plenty of peopl who would care, but most wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Tech Master

it was just a thought, especialy like stated if someone is a weight watcher, and like most things i think it has to be in conjuction with a full diet on a cars chassis, and yes...maybe the last place to loose 5g or so. but, saying tha..this is why i created this thread. i consider myself a hardcore motorsport fanatic, especially in formulas where every gram makes a difference like in F1/ Lemans, WRC etc. I basically wanted to see if there is someone out there that has weighed an unpainted body vs a fully tricked out painted one.
im just curious as to what the difference in weight might be as the paint itselfd does weigh some. it is not a consideration for me...i like pretty paint jobs...it was just a though...like the pre-war mercedes benz silver arrow grand prix cars....they entered a race being painted plain white...ended up being 3 Kg odd over the weight limit and had to strip down the white paint over night to be legal....and that was basically the birth of the silver arrow bare AL bodies of that era in motorsport. it was also a common perception in the lete 80's early 90's that a black racing car was heavier than a non black one since black paint in those days contained more lead than other colors.
all out of interest
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Tech Adept

it was just a thought, especialy like stated if someone is a weight watcher, and like most things i think it has to be in conjuction with a full diet on a cars chassis, and yes...maybe the last place to loose 5g or so. but, saying tha..this is why i created this thread. i consider myself a hardcore motorsport fanatic, especially in formulas where every gram makes a difference like in F1/ Lemans, WRC etc. I basically wanted to see if there is someone out there that has weighed an unpainted body vs a fully tricked out painted one.
im just curious as to what the difference in weight might be as the paint itselfd does weigh some. it is not a consideration for me...i like pretty paint jobs...it was just a though...like the pre-war mercedes benz silver arrow grand prix cars....they entered a race being painted plain white...ended up being 3 Kg odd over the weight limit and had to strip down the white paint over night to be legal....and that was basically the birth of the silver arrow bare AL bodies of that era in motorsport. it was also a common perception in the lete 80's early 90's that a black racing car was heavier than a non black one since black paint in those days contained more lead than other colors.
all out of interest
like f40 had paint so thin you could see the carbon fiber weave through it but they are on road off road you have dirt which clings think of how much weight you pick up there
Old 01-06-2012, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

yes, one of my fav cars ever the f40 who needs door handles
Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

touring cars have light weight body shells as an option so it must be an onroad thing
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For sure! u can save considerable weight from going light on paint. An oz is possible. Its possible to spend $ on light weight parts that wouldnt even equal the paint weight savings. Im doing a light body now, as usually my art goes on a rampage on the body and makes it heavy
Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Prophet

In offroad i dont think its a big deal onroad racing for sure it is when i raced onroad i use a light weight body dont crash much because it will get detroyed in no time !
Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If I was that concerned i'd bore 4 or so 1/4" holes down thru the cooling head of the motor and save weight easily and possibly cool better.

On the paint vs wraps question, logically I think a wrap weighs more as it is thicker than a couple of coats of paint, so a one colour body would be lightest of all options surely?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I can't believe this is even a discussion
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Haigh
I can't believe this is even a discussion
no need to be a knob, as stated in the first few posts, it was just a thought and point of interest, if you feel it is a non issue, why did you even feel the need to post something????? just to indicate that the peeps who did try to post something constructive were wasting there breath so to speak??? like YOU just did??? some of the guys already said it is an active practice in onroad....so it does have some validity, even if not that much in 1/8 scales offroad, and the original question was merely if someone actually weighed an unpainted body vs a painted body before.... out of CURIOSITY for what, if any, the difference might be..that was it. what would you rather be discussed more? even more RC8b vs mugen vs losi vs xray threads?
cheers

guess the thread is closed then
Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

What would you rather be discussed more? even more RC8b vs mugen vs losi vs xray threads?
cheers

guess the thread is closed then
There is no need to discus this. We all know that Mugen is the best!

j/k
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

+10^100000000000
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by the daddy
touring cars have light weight body shells as an option so it must be an onroad thing
That's right. I always had a Ride Accord body on my 1/10 touringcar. Ride made 2 versions a standard weight and a lightweight made of thinner lexan. I don't think weight is in nitro offroad a big issue.just in 1/10 1/12 electric onroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.