R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default having trouble using Associated Starter box with RC8b

Hi Guys,

Last week I brought my Rc8b to Leisure Hours raceway for the first time to break the motor in. I couldn't get the rc8b to line up with the factory team universal starter box. It seems like the spring loaded plate is too thick for the donut to reach the fly wheel. Is anyone using the associated box with the rc8? If so is there a trick to get this to line up? I ended up using some random nice person's ofna box, but before dropping the cash on the new box I would like to see if can get the factory team box to work first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tommytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I assume the plate doesn't touch the powerbutton? Is it not possible to lower the plate?
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

While I dont have an RC8B, I do have the RC8T and am useing the associated box. I personally think its the best designed box on the market, many will beg to differ and say the Ofna is the only one to have. The easiest way to set up your box is to remove the motor, with it removed you can line up the wheel with the opening in the chassie, set the rear pegs on the plate first, then the front. If after doing this it still wont hit the flywheel the starter box wheel is extremely worn or your flywheel is to small.
reeltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytom View Post
Hi Guys,

Last week I brought my Rc8b to Leisure Hours raceway for the first time to break the motor in. I couldn't get the rc8b to line up with the factory team universal starter box. It seems like the spring loaded plate is too thick for the donut to reach the fly wheel. Is anyone using the associated box with the rc8? If so is there a trick to get this to line up? I ended up using some random nice person's ofna box, but before dropping the cash on the new box I would like to see if can get the factory team box to work first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
i have the exact same setup as you. and have had the same issues. first the car needs to be centered almost perfectly. second pre heating the engine helps. and pushing down on the engine not the wing. third have done a little work on the opening on the chassis although not needed. i race there too i can help if im there.
rc8 racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc8 racer View Post
i have the exact same setup as you. and have had the same issues. first the car needs to be centered almost perfectly. second pre heating the engine helps. and pushing down on the engine not the wing. third have done a little work on the opening on the chassis although not needed. i race there too i can help if im there.
I went to the track this morning and just got frustrated enough to say screw it and bought the Ofna Truggy Starter. I highly highly recommend it. I do have a question for you though. Are you using any of the Associated setup sheets for suspension? I have finally got the motor broke in and now I need to to tune the suspension. I would like to run the rookie race this upcoming friday with my rc8 if possible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
tommytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Oh, thank God I can grow a beard and am uninterested in picking up other men on message forums!
caaraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytom View Post
I went to the track this morning and just got frustrated enough to say screw it and bought the Ofna Truggy Starter. I highly highly recommend it. I do have a question for you though. Are you using any of the Associated setup sheets for suspension? I have finally got the motor broke in and now I need to to tune the suspension. I would like to run the rookie race this upcoming friday with my rc8 if possible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
what setup is on the car now? the last time i raced the car as a rc8b i ran silver springs in front. ofna yellow in rear. silver sways. shocks mounted on tyhe outer holes on the tower. droop was around 108 and 125.5 i belive. i ran 30 wt in front and 25 in rear. with 10 by 1.1 tapered pistons.
rc8 racer is offline   Reply With Quote