R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1evo RRR Driver
Default 1/8 shock mods!

Can any pros chime in on the shock mods that you are doing??

Cutting the shock bladder and or
placing a sponge behind the bladder

what are these mods called? And what benefit if done right do you get from them both??
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Damn 68 viewers n nobody knows about this mod? Smh
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lol u said PROS
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver View Post
are you having a problem with a certian set up or just wondering? what car/truck/buggy are you asking about?
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
its not really a mod...any more...its vented shock caps...losi has them and and thinking other brands also....just keeps the shocks more stable in longer races.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
its not really a mod...any more...its vented shock caps...losi has them and and thinking other brands also....just keeps the shocks more stable in longer races.
And im no pro by no means lolzzzz
Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosho17 View Post
Lol u said PROS
lol I kno I think thts where I messed up, cause obviously they don't like givin up mods!! Smh

oh n I'm thinkin of moddin D8 shocks!!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Quote:
lol I kno I think thts where I messed up, cause obviously they don't like givin up mods!! Smh

oh n I'm thinkin of moddin D8 shocks!!
really no need for any sercret mod for the D8 shocks, some of the best shocks out there today in my opinion, what makes you think you need a shock mod? are you having set up issues?
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
really no need for any sercret mod for the D8 shocks, some of the best shocks out there today in my opinion, what makes you think you need a shock mod? are you having set up issues?
Nah no setup issues, just always willing to try to make it better, n I heard a little about this at my local track.......guy said take the d8 bladder n cut the center out of it, I'll try it. But wanted to ask how many r doing this n wht was the outcome? Better or not worth it?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is the only shock mod you need. No matter what chassis you have put Kyosho MP9 TKI 2 shocks on it with blue springs and 1.3x8 pistons.

It will improve every buggy made (TKI 2 owners need not apply)

rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Stock shocks are built in a pressurized manner. Shaft enters, body and displaces the air behind the bladder. As the air presses back, it pushes the shaft back out which is shock rebound.

If you cut the bladders and leave the outer ring part for a seal, you make your shocks into emulsion style (air and oil are mixed in shock body, as opposed to being behind the bladder in a pressurized style shock) Emulsion style shocks are commonly used in 1/10 off-road.

Vented shock caps and foam behind the bladder do the same duty as a pressurized shock, but the foam is causing the rebound instead of the sealed air. As the shock compresses, the air exits the vent hole and the foam compresses. As the foam decompresses, it provides the shock rebound.

Vented caps and foams are said to have more consistent rebound. the problem is that if the bladder rips mid-race, the oil will exit through the vent hole leaving you with just the spring for dampening.

If the bladder rips mid race in a pressurized style shock, the air behind the bladder will mix with the oil, but it will still work reasonably until your next rebuild.

Not sure about the applications of emulsion style in 1/8. Any input would be appreciated and let me know if any crap I said is wrong. Hope it helps. Too much theorizing. Just race!.
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phixd View Post
Stock shocks are built in a pressurized manner. Shaft enters, body and displaces the air behind the bladder. As the air presses back, it pushes the shaft back out which is shock rebound.

If you cut the bladders and leave the outer ring part for a seal, you make your shocks into emulsion style (air and oil are mixed in shock body, as opposed to being behind the bladder in a pressurized style shock) Emulsion style shocks are commonly used in 1/10 off-road.

Vented shock caps and foam behind the bladder do the same duty as a pressurized shock, but the foam is causing the rebound instead of the sealed air. As the shock compresses, the air exits the vent hole and the foam compresses. As the foam decompresses, it provides the shock rebound.

Vented caps and foams are said to have more consistent rebound. the problem is that if the bladder rips mid-race, the oil will exit through the vent hole leaving you with just the spring for dampening.

If the bladder rips mid race in a pressurized style shock, the air behind the bladder will mix with the oil, but it will still work reasonably until your next rebuild.

Not sure about the applications of emulsion style in 1/8. Any input would be appreciated and let me know if any crap I said is wrong. Hope it helps. Too much theorizing. Just race!.
thanks for explaining tht, and I do remember the word "emulsion". Now my question is wht benefit can u gain with emulsion? Is it to take away rebound, cause I notice alot r building shocks with very little rebound!!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

They put tire foam behind the sworkz and mugen shock bladders because they are thin and some like to collapse and cause inconstant feel during a race. gives the car more of a positive feel. I ran them when i raced my sworkz buggy
thanks to my 2013 sponsors: vp-pro tires, hobbypro usa, beta tires, arrow racing, team terribles, boca bearings
stallen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Strictly looking at top level Pros' setup sheets (Drake, Cav, Tebo, King, Maifield), most of them run stock bladder style or vented cap & foam setups. None of them run emulsion in 1/8.

I'm not saying emulsion style is bad. Try it out and if it works better for you, do it. It may be the next big thing. Trial and testing required.
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote