R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8 shock mods! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/583421-1-8-shock-mods.html)

1evo RRR Driver 01-02-2012 05:07 PM

1/8 shock mods!

Can any pros chime in on the shock mods that you are doing??

Cutting the shock bladder and or
placing a sponge behind the bladder

what are these mods called? And what benefit if done right do you get from them both??

1evo RRR Driver 01-02-2012 07:16 PM

Damn 68 viewers n nobody knows about this mod? Smh

kyosho17 01-02-2012 07:23 PM

Lol u said PROS

inferno13 01-02-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver (Post 10114955)

are you having a problem with a certian set up or just wondering? what car/truck/buggy are you asking about?

kaptain crash 01-02-2012 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver (Post 10114955)

its not really a mod...any more...its vented shock caps...losi has them and and thinking other brands also....just keeps the shocks more stable in longer races.

kaptain crash 01-02-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by kaptain crash (Post 10115026)
its not really a mod...any more...its vented shock caps...losi has them and and thinking other brands also....just keeps the shocks more stable in longer races.

And im no pro by no means lolzzzz

1evo RRR Driver 01-02-2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by kyosho17 (Post 10115010)
Lol u said PROS

lol I kno I think thts where I messed up, cause obviously they don't like givin up mods!! Smh

oh n I'm thinkin of moddin D8 shocks!!

inferno13 01-02-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver (Post 10115057)
lol I kno I think thts where I messed up, cause obviously they don't like givin up mods!! Smh

oh n I'm thinkin of moddin D8 shocks!!

really no need for any sercret mod for the D8 shocks, some of the best shocks out there today in my opinion, what makes you think you need a shock mod? are you having set up issues?

1evo RRR Driver 01-02-2012 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by inferno13 (Post 10115080)
really no need for any sercret mod for the D8 shocks, some of the best shocks out there today in my opinion, what makes you think you need a shock mod? are you having set up issues?

Nah no setup issues, just always willing to try to make it better, n I heard a little about this at my local track.......guy said take the d8 bladder n cut the center out of it, I'll try it. But wanted to ask how many r doing this n wht was the outcome? Better or not worth it?

rdeppen 01-02-2012 07:44 PM

Here is the only shock mod you need. No matter what chassis you have put Kyosho MP9 TKI 2 shocks on it with blue springs and 1.3x8 pistons.

It will improve every buggy made (TKI 2 owners need not apply)

:D

phixd 01-02-2012 07:45 PM

Stock shocks are built in a pressurized manner. Shaft enters, body and displaces the air behind the bladder. As the air presses back, it pushes the shaft back out which is shock rebound.

If you cut the bladders and leave the outer ring part for a seal, you make your shocks into emulsion style (air and oil are mixed in shock body, as opposed to being behind the bladder in a pressurized style shock) Emulsion style shocks are commonly used in 1/10 off-road.

Vented shock caps and foam behind the bladder do the same duty as a pressurized shock, but the foam is causing the rebound instead of the sealed air. As the shock compresses, the air exits the vent hole and the foam compresses. As the foam decompresses, it provides the shock rebound.

Vented caps and foams are said to have more consistent rebound. the problem is that if the bladder rips mid-race, the oil will exit through the vent hole leaving you with just the spring for dampening.

If the bladder rips mid race in a pressurized style shock, the air behind the bladder will mix with the oil, but it will still work reasonably until your next rebuild.

Not sure about the applications of emulsion style in 1/8. Any input would be appreciated and let me know if any crap I said is wrong. Hope it helps. Too much theorizing. Just race!. :tire:

1evo RRR Driver 01-02-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by phixd (Post 10115135)
Stock shocks are built in a pressurized manner. Shaft enters, body and displaces the air behind the bladder. As the air presses back, it pushes the shaft back out which is shock rebound.

If you cut the bladders and leave the outer ring part for a seal, you make your shocks into emulsion style (air and oil are mixed in shock body, as opposed to being behind the bladder in a pressurized style shock) Emulsion style shocks are commonly used in 1/10 off-road.

Vented shock caps and foam behind the bladder do the same duty as a pressurized shock, but the foam is causing the rebound instead of the sealed air. As the shock compresses, the air exits the vent hole and the foam compresses. As the foam decompresses, it provides the shock rebound.

Vented caps and foams are said to have more consistent rebound. the problem is that if the bladder rips mid-race, the oil will exit through the vent hole leaving you with just the spring for dampening.

If the bladder rips mid race in a pressurized style shock, the air behind the bladder will mix with the oil, but it will still work reasonably until your next rebuild.

Not sure about the applications of emulsion style in 1/8. Any input would be appreciated and let me know if any crap I said is wrong. Hope it helps. Too much theorizing. Just race!. :tire:

thanks for explaining tht, and I do remember the word "emulsion". Now my question is wht benefit can u gain with emulsion? Is it to take away rebound, cause I notice alot r building shocks with very little rebound!!

stallen50 01-02-2012 08:01 PM

They put tire foam behind the sworkz and mugen shock bladders because they are thin and some like to collapse and cause inconstant feel during a race. gives the car more of a positive feel. I ran them when i raced my sworkz buggy

phixd 01-02-2012 08:12 PM

Strictly looking at top level Pros' setup sheets (Drake, Cav, Tebo, King, Maifield), most of them run stock bladder style or vented cap & foam setups. None of them run emulsion in 1/8.

I'm not saying emulsion style is bad. Try it out and if it works better for you, do it. It may be the next big thing. Trial and testing required.