R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default Losi 8ight 2.0 - what to do before competitive racing?

Hi,

I'm now owner of a brand new Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR.

It's hard to find complete answers on my questions through "search" option and the Losi 8ight 2.0 thread is too long to even consider reading it from page 1 to page xxx...

I'd like to make my 8ight ready for racing, competitve racing.

I know that I should have bought the TLR right away but I got such a deal on that RTR that I couldn't resist.

From what I already have the biggest hop up is the Novarossi plus 4 BTTS + 9901 + 021. Is the stock air filter right for it?

I have a lot of time because winter finally came to Poland.

What hopups should I take to streghten my drivetrain? How about clutch?

I read on some other forum a lot of kind words about the gen3 radio tray, worth buying? What about servos?

I also have a Futaba 4PKS for my Baja so I think that I will just get a secound receiver for it right?

For battery I was thinking of LiPo pack, they should be lighter then the stock NiMh.

I'm new to nitro so please be gentle for a newbie. I've been bashing and racing my 5SC for a pretty long time now.

Happy New Year!

Greg
czapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czapu View Post
Hi,

I'm now owner of a brand new Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR.

It's hard to find complete answers on my questions through "search" option and the Losi 8ight 2.0 thread is too long to even consider reading it from page 1 to page xxx...

I'd like to make my 8ight ready for racing, competitve racing.

I know that I should have bought the TLR right away but I got such a deal on that RTR that I couldn't resist.

From what I already have the biggest hop up is the Novarossi plus 4 BTTS + 9901 + 021. Is the stock air filter right for it?

I have a lot of time because winter finally came to Poland.

What hopups should I take to streghten my drivetrain? How about clutch?

I read on some other forum a lot of kind words about the gen3 radio tray, worth buying? What about servos?

I also have a Futaba 4PKS for my Baja so I think that I will just get a secound receiver for it right?

For battery I was thinking of LiPo pack, they should be lighter then the stock NiMh.

I'm new to nitro so please be gentle for a newbie. I've been bashing and racing my 5SC for a pretty long time now.

Happy New Year!

Greg
the RTR is a really good buggy out of the box, you will need to take the clutch off and add 2 shoes to the flywheel, my rtr only came with 2 shoes on a 4 shoe clutch, as for the lipo rx pack, you will need to get high voltage servos to handle 7.4v. just set it up to manual and it will be race worthy.
__________________
D8 "HARA", OS SPEED, ,SAVOX 1267/68 SERVOS, BYRONS 25%, SPEKTRUM DX3R PRO
D8T GO GXII ,SAVOX 1267/68 SERVOS, BYRONS 25%, SPEKTRUM DX3R PRO
NMRCC -(northern michigan rc club)
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
lsp408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: knoxville TN
Posts: 287
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno13 View Post
the RTR is a really good buggy out of the box, you will need to take the clutch off and add 2 shoes to the flywheel, my rtr only came with 2 shoes on a 4 shoe clutch, as for the lipo rx pack, you will need to get high voltage servos to handle 7.4v. just set it up to manual and it will be race worthy.
i just found out mine only came with 2 shoe out of 4 shoe system (8ight 2.0 RTR) when my clutch bearing seize up during final racing...
__________________
Losi Ten SCTE
Losi 5ive-T
HPI Blitz
lsp408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
mira5489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,392
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

replace the stock camber link to Lunsford 4x70mm turnbuckle. that will help during race.
__________________
Team Losi Racing - Dynamite - ECX racing - Hope - Team Orion - Nitro-x - Spektrum
Taiping Track Operator : Email: sungsoonming@yahoo.com / HP: 012-5120309
mira5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 10,180
Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)
Default

With the rtr take your steering servo and put it on your throttle and buy a good high torque metal or titanium gear steering servo.

Add 2 clutch shoes to your stock clutch because all losi rtr 8ight's for some reason only have 2 shoes on a 4 shoe clutch. I personally like to run 4 dynamite max-life shoes with 2 green and 2 gold clutch springs.

No need to buy a novarossi engine until your stocker poops out. The losi 350 .21 that comes with the rtr is a strong running engine. You should get a solid 5 or more gallons out of it before it needs replacing.

As far as drivetrain upgrades you really don't need a thing. The stock drivetrain is tough.

Running a lipo receiver pack will mean running expensive high voltage servos or using a regulator with normal servos. I personally just stick to nimh packs on my losis. Not that much of a weight difference for me to worry about.

Yes you can just add a 2nd receiver to your futaba and use that radio for the 8ight.

The Gen 3 radio tray is a good upgrade to do if you have any throttle servo issues. Lots of people say the heat and vibration from the engine causes servos to die. I think it's just the servo setup that people mess up on that causes the failures because I've ran 2 years straight without a singe servo failure. But the Gen 3 is nice because it moves your throttle servo up front away from all the heat and vibration of the motor and that alone should lessen the strain on the throttle servo and let it last longer.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Hi,

Thank You for all the answers.

I already have the Nova engine. Should I change the air filter for an aftermarket one for it? What about fuel filter, leave the stocker? What do You think about Novarossi 36000 exhaust gas cooler?

I also read about throttle linkage failure. Is there any aftermarket linkage?

About the stock engine, does it come in the RTR way with some kind of pre run or do I have to make a full brake in process on it?

I have a HITEC 7955TG on my Baja for throttle/brake servo. It's nice but very loud. Could You recomend any other servo? I think I will rather replace both of them in one time.

If there is anything I should change/know and I did not mantion it please do so

best regards,

Greg
czapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czapu View Post
Losi 8ight 2.0 - what to do before competitive racing?
If it was mine, I would bookmark this thread, have the upgrade parts ready and replace as needed. Not sure what the availability is on parts in Poland.

To be competitive you need shock oils, shock springs, diff fluids, the right tires and #1 wheel time.
got_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
lsp408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: knoxville TN
Posts: 287
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

What is the difference between the RTR steering and throttle servo? Mine steering and throttle servo both look the same and both have same identical part number: LOSB0812 EXTRA HIGH TORQUE DIGITAL SERVO




Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
With the rtr take your steering servo and put it on your throttle and buy a good high torque metal or titanium gear steering servo.

Add 2 clutch shoes to your stock clutch because all losi rtr 8ight's for some reason only have 2 shoes on a 4 shoe clutch. I personally like to run 4 dynamite max-life shoes with 2 green and 2 gold clutch springs.

No need to buy a novarossi engine until your stocker poops out. The losi 350 .21 that comes with the rtr is a strong running engine. You should get a solid 5 or more gallons out of it before it needs replacing.

As far as drivetrain upgrades you really don't need a thing. The stock drivetrain is tough.

Running a lipo receiver pack will mean running expensive high voltage servos or using a regulator with normal servos. I personally just stick to nimh packs on my losis. Not that much of a weight difference for me to worry about.

Yes you can just add a 2nd receiver to your futaba and use that radio for the 8ight.

The Gen 3 radio tray is a good upgrade to do if you have any throttle servo issues. Lots of people say the heat and vibration from the engine causes servos to die. I think it's just the servo setup that people mess up on that causes the failures because I've ran 2 years straight without a singe servo failure. But the Gen 3 is nice because it moves your throttle servo up front away from all the heat and vibration of the motor and that alone should lessen the strain on the throttle servo and let it last longer.
__________________
Losi Ten SCTE
Losi 5ive-T
HPI Blitz
lsp408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Break in engine, check the epa's add 2 clutch shoes and run it until it wants servos. Check all the screws just tk make aure they are tight. If you want to run lipo just use a regulator until you replace the servos with hv. But get it on the track and run it.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
R/C Lidz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 2,696
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to R/C Lidz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Break in engine, check the epa's add 2 clutch shoes and run it until it wants servos. Check all the screws just tk make aure they are tight. If you want to run lipo just use a regulator until you replace the servos with hv. But get it on the track and run it.
+1

savvy advice, don't get caught up in all the new things you could buy. Just go out and drive it- the car is plenty fast enough
__________________
Josh Langness
RC8T/ OS Speed/ 2060
RC8/ OS Speed/ 2060
FTGT/ MT12
BLitZ/ Castle SCT
R/C Lidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Of course I will run it but not now because it's snowing

I will make a short trip to indoor track sometime next week.

There are not many parts available in Poland, most things I will have to get on ebay.

What is the best oil combo? Front/Rear?

Greg
czapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czapu View Post
Of course I will run it but not now because it's snowing

I will make a short trip to indoor track sometime next week.

There are not many parts available in Poland, most things I will have to get on ebay.

What is the best oil combo? Front/Rear?

Greg
for shocks? i used 35 front and 32.5 rear
__________________
D8 "HARA", OS SPEED, ,SAVOX 1267/68 SERVOS, BYRONS 25%, SPEKTRUM DX3R PRO
D8T GO GXII ,SAVOX 1267/68 SERVOS, BYRONS 25%, SPEKTRUM DX3R PRO
NMRCC -(northern michigan rc club)
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
golferdude1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chiraq
Posts: 1,473
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Try Mike Truhe's 2008 worlds setup. It's very popular.
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...804#prodSetups
golferdude1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

OK. Thank You guys. I'll try that.

None wrote anything about servos. What model could You recomend? What for throttle and what for steering?

I have Hitec 7955TG in Baja but it's damn loud


Greg
czapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 7,916
Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czapu View Post
OK. Thank You guys. I'll try that.

None wrote anything about servos. What model could You recomend? What for throttle and what for steering?

I have Hitec 7955TG in Baja but it's damn loud


Greg
for steering.....
hitec 7950
hitec 7955
savox 1268

for throttle....
hitec 7955
hitec 7940
savox 1267
__________________
D8 "HARA", OS SPEED, ,SAVOX 1267/68 SERVOS, BYRONS 25%, SPEKTRUM DX3R PRO
D8T GO GXII ,SAVOX 1267/68 SERVOS, BYRONS 25%, SPEKTRUM DX3R PRO
NMRCC -(northern michigan rc club)
inferno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Associated RC8Be Thread kaisertrip Electric Off-Road 7463 01-10-2017 12:39 PM
How to Understand Gearing - Ref. Pg1 Sarinexia Electric Off-Road 18 05-29-2016 05:06 AM
truggy or buggy?!?! ele_to_nitro Nitro Off-Road 59 11-16-2010 10:02 PM
Don't buy MP9 Dale14 Nitro Off-Road 155 03-07-2009 08:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net