R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to IROC-AR15 Send a message via Skype™ to IROC-AR15
Default MBX5T Nitro VID

Could you guys take a look at my video and tell me what you think?
Now I know in advance my wife sucks being my recorder and I'll tell you in advance at the end of the video my clutch bell screw came loose.

#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love
IROC-AR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My thought is ur engines is saying ouch ouch ouch.. Tune needs some work for sure.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Tech Elite

hmm really? It was running great though. I know at the end it sounds bad but that's cause the clutch bell screw came loose.
Thanks for your input
#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love
Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Not really sure what you are asking for. But I would say the engine is too lean and the idle is set too high. And your wife was making me sea sick.LOL. it does look like it is performing well though.
yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

First up the footage is better than some of the stuff i have seen in here...lol Sounds lean, Depending on what engine carby you have in there if its a BO1 Ninja check your linkages and idle gap. maybe richen both up and fine tune again. Reason i asked is Long needles like in the Ninja B01 will be different than say a Werks or New Ninja/OS....to tune....
Old 12-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade954 View Post
First up the footage is better than some of the stuff i have seen in here...lol Sounds lean, Depending on what engine carby you have in there if its a BO1 Ninja check your linkages and idle gap. maybe richen both up and fine tune again. Reason i asked is Long needles like in the Ninja B01 will be different than say a Werks or New Ninja/OS....to tune....
Oh I'm sorry, its just a practice Losi 427 that I'm trying to learn how to tune good before I grab my race A52 or Orion .24 for the upcoming race season...So it sounds like I need to richen her up a bit guys?
#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love
Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

First read the tuning bible above the threads you idle is off or your linkage IE carb isn't closing when on neutral. Card gab needs to almost the thickness of a credit carb. Also listen to your mill when it sputter normal it from a lean setting first minute of video.make sure you tune when your mill is at temp. I would go back to a fat setting set your idle gap then adjust your low end needle till I has a good idle. Then get to temp and start leaning the top in small increments until the motor clears out with a medium smoke trail and good top speed. Once done go to your low end needle start leaning small increments you want your idle to drop the second you let the throttle go you will hear the motor clear out.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=iwzcWLKKU0I

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=8lM_BOHHEvo
Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Thanks, I was just tuning for the midst trail of smoke on my HSN...
#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love
Old 12-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
Tech Champion

If it were mine I would start by richening the HSN in 1-hour increments, do a couple of high-speed passes to check how it responds to the changes, til it just sounds better, but still with good smoke and performance.. Then see how the idle is and adjust from there.

I like OS A5 plugs in my SH engines(Mach, LRP .28, Losi 454, Dynamite Big Red, etc..) It keeps the engines cool, and gives better power - especially on top. BUT, it gives a somewhat less stable idle. As much as I like the SH engines, none of mine have ever idled particularly well, so I blip the throttle a lot if it's got to idle for more than 10 seconds or so.. I still like them though for their cost, user-friendliness, and power..(especially for bashing.. For racing OK you're probably better off with something else..)

An Orion 24 and Argus are very different animals to tune btw. I had the Orion, and hated it frankly.. Started breaking in nicely, then went all over the place and became untuneable.. Showed it to some guys at a race, and they said get it pinched a tad. Which I did. Afterwards - for whatever reason - it ran much better. But ultimately it was not worth the money AT ALL..(sold it with my truggy..) The Argus on the other hand is again totally different. LOTS of metal pinch at first, which you have to be careful with - preheat if possible before every start for the first gallon, and not too crazy with the throttle for the first gallon. The pinch will automatically drive temps up.. As for the needles, they barely need touching(same with the several Go's I have run..) - if anything, a bit on the LSN - and in tinier increments than you would do with a Mach 427 or other SH engines..

Not claiming to be the nitro tuning guru or anything, but I do feel I know the SH engines pretty well, and yeah, have had or still have the other engines you mentioned. Good luck..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
If it were mine I would start by richening the HSN in 1-hour increments, do a couple of high-speed passes to check how it responds to the changes, til it just sounds better, but still with good smoke and performance.. Then see how the idle is and adjust from there.

I like OS A5 plugs in my SH engines(Mach, LRP .28, Losi 454, Dynamite Big Red, etc..) It keeps the engines cool, and gives better power - especially on top. BUT, it gives a somewhat less stable idle. As much as I like the SH engines, none of mine have ever idled particularly well, so I blip the throttle a lot if it's got to idle for more than 10 seconds or so.. I still like them though for their cost, user-friendliness, and power..(especially for bashing.. For racing OK you're probably better off with something else..)

An Orion 24 and Argus are very different animals to tune btw. I had the Orion, and hated it frankly.. Started breaking in nicely, then went all over the place and became untuneable.. Showed it to some guys at a race, and they said get it pinched a tad. Which I did. Afterwards - for whatever reason - it ran much better. But ultimately it was not worth the money AT ALL..(sold it with my truggy..) The Argus on the other hand is again totally different. LOTS of metal pinch at first, which you have to be careful with - preheat if possible before every start for the first gallon, and not too crazy with the throttle for the first gallon. The pinch will automatically drive temps up.. As for the needles, they barely need touching(same with the several Go's I have run..) - if anything, a bit on the LSN - and in tinier increments than you would do with a Mach 427 or other SH engines..

Not claiming to be the nitro tuning guru or anything, but I do feel I know the SH engines pretty well, and yeah, have had or still have the other engines you mentioned. Good luck..
Thanks Savage....Didn't I do business with you before?
Anyway I appreciate you giving your experience with the Orion as my next motor will be my first *Race Spec* motor and for the price of the Orion I can get a Clocked Argus A52!
And I do know what you mean about the blipping of the throttle. I've never touched the LSN though.
So I should start adjusting back rich instead of going back flush...makes sense cause I'm not that fine of a good tune which is maybe why I keep thinking my plugs are bad but in fact they glow good when I test them.
#TeamHolyRoller
Live Laugh Learn Love