R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Quailifying.. How can I do it better?

I never can seem to qualify as well as I finish in a race. IE I Qual 5th I'll finish 4th or better. This seems to happen to me at every race, Club or Larger, with out a failure I finish better then I qualify. Am I just better with more track time, or maybe I jsut don't get as rattle 10-20 minute into a race..

Is there a secret to better qualifying?

Should I even worry about it?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

90% of the time I finish better then I qual.also as during quals I always run the "safe" line which is usually a slower but I stay on the wheels instead of taking the quicker line that may be on edge but quicker...plus in the main people break,flameout,back markers, etc etc etc
Owner of Midwest Rc Tour
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
I never can seem to qualify as well as I finish in a race. IE I Qual 5th I'll finish 4th or better. This seems to happen to me at every race, Club or Larger, with out a failure I finish better then I qualify. Am I just better with more track time, or maybe I jsut don't get as rattle 10-20 minute into a race..

Is there a secret to better qualifying?

Should I even worry about it?
Quals are very important either i try to qual 1st or last of not theres always a large tangle up mid pack. I find quals easier and better if you just drive without crashing. Everyone is trying to go fast in 5-7 min heat and crashing. Notrmally the one in less traffic with least mistakes wins. Maybe not a tq but you start easy top of the race. Its easier to do better in a main because i think you get comfterbale after the first 10 minutes. To me its always the start and last 3 minutes.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Don't crash

7 minutes of consistant laps are faster the one good lap every three. So drive within your limits.

But watch out for the guy on his game nailing a fast lap every time.
---Xray, RC America, Pro-Line Racing, FX Royal, Hudy, KO Propo, 92zero Designs, Vision Racing Products, RW-Mods, Team Loosenuts, forddesigns.net--- Big Thanks to: Wheel Brokers Track and Shop, Pine City MN~ "Stompy"
rider313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Yea i whould say dont crash especially if you run in a pro truggy class i learn that one in qualifying lol. Try not to race people yea i know that can be hard somtimes but its better not to do it or you will lose time. Dont overdrive in/out of turns.

But if you have enough people running in your class and they do bump ups i wouldnt worry about as much .
Just place good in a truggy B main or win you bump up ive done it.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

Dial your car back so you only get 70-80% throttle and watch for being consistant, I have had VTA races I'd get blown away on the straight but could run a consistancy around 0.15 - 0.2 so I'd usually end up with a TQ. The key thing I see is a lot of people love to blame slow marshalling for bad results, but if you don't crash, then marshalls are irrelvant. You're racing the clock, not other people when you're qualifying, if someone is quicker, let them through, if you're quicker they should let you through and just focus on clean lines not 'trying to be fast''

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Qualing and racing can be 2 different animals.
It takes some people a few laps to get into a rythum on the track.
A big race I was at did a 3 minute warm up, then killed the engines for driver intro, then had another 3 minutes before the start. That helped me alot. By the second turn I was relaxed, had a good feel for the track and car and ran a race where my fastes lap was less than a second than my slowest lap, not including fuel stops. The guy who TQ'd, couldnt get into a rythum until a few minutes in and finally finished in 5th.
So if it takes you 2 minutes to get your rythum out of a 6 minute qual, you are toast! Find a way to get your car, the track and your rythum sooner and your quals will be better.
Also, Dont be in the middle of the pack durring the start. Sit back and wait until the crown is about 1/2 thru the track or be the first guy. You race against yourself. Time is on your side and the longer you stay out of traffic, the easier it is to run fast on your lines.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Dial your car back so you only get 70-80% throttle and watch for being consistant, I have had VTA races I'd get blown away on the straight but could run a consistancy around 0.15 - 0.2 so I'd usually end up with a TQ. The key thing I see is a lot of people love to blame slow marshalling for bad results, but if you don't crash, then marshalls are irrelvant. You're racing the clock, not other people when you're qualifying, if someone is quicker, let them through, if you're quicker they should let you through and just focus on clean lines not 'trying to bth fast''

While i agree with most you said about quailifying but about the turnmarshalls its not always the drivers fault espially if somebody punts you into the rear and you get stuck. I do understand that most of time its the drivers fault they crashed on a jump but the thing that really ticks me off is not so much being slow but guys who are day dreaming or checking their phones .

Jerm: Thats the truth
Although some tracks do imfar starts and sometimes you have no choice but to start in the middle during the heats.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Tech Master

i have found myself to be WAAYY more consistant and even better in Quali rounds some times due to nerves For some reason im way more relaxed in Q rounds, and having more fun too...maybe it is because im racing against myself/clock., and there is n"no" real pressure like stated above...i almost always make sure i go around the track before the start of a Q round so that i end up `bout 10 sec behind the last car over the line...that way, depending on the group you are in, you should have a nice and clear run for the 5 min. the amain has been another story for me hahaha, for some reason i get very tense and my head totally leaves me...and needless to say i mess up way more than in Q...usually after about 10-15min (45min main) running i settle down, but then it is way to late. the last race i participated in, I had myself a STRONG....uuuhhh....refreshment right before the race and that def helped with the nerves a bit saying that, i have found energy drinks and coffee to mess me up royally on a raceday...my fat throttle finger seems to get obese
Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I try not to stop on the track waiting for the loop to go live. I do better in quals if i do at least 1 whole lap at race pace before the loop goes live. You give yourself a chance to get into a little groove.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

being organised, watch the fast guys in practise and work out how why and where they are fast, I try and get out on the track early and do a few laps at say 85% driving to the grippiest parts of the track that will settle you down , make sure you have a switched on pitman this person can win you a race then its all about consistency
I find it hard when guys who are sponsored rock up and have there engines pinging it is hard to match there engine speed as I dont have spare engines in my bag
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
being organised, watch the fast guys in practise and work out how why and where they are fast, I try and get out on the track early and do a few laps at say 85% driving to the grippiest parts of the track that will settle you down , make sure you have a switched on pitman this person can win you a race then its all about consistency
I find it hard when guys who are sponsored rock up and have there engines pinging it is hard to match there engine speed as I dont have spare engines in my bag
cheers
will im with a couple other guys gere i can do fast in the quilfying but for some reason i can not do good in the main and i race local. but one question what is tq since i only started this racing for two month and now it winter so bummer.
Hotbodies D812
Hotbodies ve8 Tekin 2050
imrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Tech Adept

TQ means Top Qualifier.
This can mean two different things depending on how the track director runs their positioning for the mains. There is Qualifying points for TQ and then the is what some call 'rocket round' or basically overall fastest lap.

Main thing in any racing is being consistent and not wrecking.
I to have had cars pass me on the straightaway but in the infield I pass them very quickly and take the position back or two. Being fast down one straightaway means nothing if you cant do good in a inside track that has 10 corners and 8 jumps. I consider Qualifiers as more like practice runs for the mains. Concentrate on your lines and not other racers. Also learn what tires work and don't work with other racers.

Marshalling, well let's just say, don't wreck. BUT there are instances were Marshall's just are in 'lala' land or jump in front of your car and take you out. Remember $h1t happens and just keep on racing. I to have to remind myself many times "This is only a fun hobby and not Nascar winning a million dollars"

Just to let you know, by no means am I one of the top Pro World drivers, so this advice is just my own opinion. In my little 10 years of racing I have been around the block and raced with many of the cool World drivers and learned many tricks and good advice from them.

Mugen MBX7 & MBX7E
This R/C racing sport is an addiction, that just keeps getting better.

Last edited by Fast1rc; 12-24-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Fast1rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try to time your fuel stop so that you can be 3/4 of the way around the track and on race pace when the loop goes hot. Open track is your friend, the crowd waiting at the loop to race each other definitely aren't!

Be smooth and consistent, don't get hung up racing in the qualifiers. You're on your own clock.

Another thing to think about:

Are they watering in between rounds, after practice, or not at all? We ordinarily run rocket round qualifying around here and usually don't water in between rounds, so I will try to make sure I have good tires on the car in the round where the most traction is gonna be available.
LabRat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
TQ means Top Qualifier.
This can mean two different things depending on how the track director runs their positioning for the mains. There is Qualifying points for TQ and then the is what some call 'rocket round' or basically overall fastest lap.

Main thing in any racing is being consistent and not wrecking.
I to have had cars pass me on the straightaway but in the infield I pass them very quickly and take the position back or two. Being fast down one straightaway means nothing if you cant do good in a inside track that has 10 corners and 8 jumps. I consider Qualifiers as more like practice runs for the mains. Concentrate on your lines and not other racers. Also learn what tires work and don't work with other racers.

Marshalling, well let's just say, don't wreck. BUT there are instances were Marshall's just are in 'lala' land or jump in front of your car and take you out. Remember $h1t happens and just keep on racing. I to have to remind myself many times "This is only a fun hobby and not Nascar winning a million dollars"

Just to let you know, by no means am I one of the top Pro World drivers, so this advice is just my own opinion. In my little 10 years of racing I have been around the block and raced with many of the cool World drivers and learned many tricks and good advice from them.
Hey John, Thanks for the post.. BTW I've raced with you a few times, if your the John T I am thinking of, MO State Series.. And you are not slouch behind the wheel.. I think you came down to Mike Jacksons last race in Miami OK also.. You and MIke mixed it up pretty good in 1/8 buggy Qual that day..

I've never been mad at a marshall for not getting to me in a hurry, and never will, 99% of the time it is my fault I was upside down. It does get frustrating when the same marshall keeps "overlooking" you though..

Also I do pretty well at timing my starts, so that I am Either first across the loop, or last.. I've too often been the middle and got caught up in the carnage that takes place with 8 drivers all vying for the same corner at the same time..

To everyone else thanks for the tips. I guess I'll just keep on keepin on, and we'll see how it goes from here.. Hope I can start running faster laps. Consistancy is one thing I lerned very quickly when I first started racing, I rarely wreck until I start pushing myself. I think I just need to spend more time at the track pushing me and the Buggy/Truggy..