R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I usually see more buggys getting bigger air time? How are the truggys in the jumps?
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
So you seem very smart about the truggy class so if one was wanting to get a good starter truggy what would you suggest? Keeping money in mind.

What price range are you looking for in a truggy ? And do you already have a radio and the servos and starter box etc ? I used to run my truggy as nitro its a electric now but still knew what i ran as a nitro.

I would still see though what kind of turnout you get on truggys at your track first though.

Buggys do get more air thats mostly because of the smaller tires and there light .

Truggys jump like a truck but at the same time jumps like a buggy but heavyer.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
Tech Regular

I dont have the extras to strt a roller, atm I was kinda looking for a rtr that was decent enough to strt off.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #19
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I dont have the extras to strt a roller, atm I was kinda looking for a rtr that was decent enough to strt off.

Look into the losi eight 2.0 t rtr it has everything you need just use a better steering servo and throttle servo .

Whats the turnout for truggys at your track ?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
Tech Regular

From what I have seen from the tracks aound or rather within a long driving distance that I would visit occasionally they seem to be a little less than the buggys but not by a very large margin. I am actually working on a large outdoor track to be coming in the near future so hopefully word will get around on it by the spring and have some races held at it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #21
Tech Champion

x2 on the Losi RTR.. Good way to get started..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #22
Tech Regular

The truggys a lil more sluggish on the track then the buggy?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I just sold my truggy, dropping that class for next year. I travel all over my region racing and truggy is dieing, fast. I went to a race a couple of weeks ago, 153 entries and only 9 truggies.

Just as everyone has stated, buggy tires are cheaper. I don't find that truggy tires last any longer than buggy either as some have stated. I wear them at about the same rate.

Truggy is a very fun class, I ran it exclusively for 2 years and did very well. Towards the middle of this season I found that I had hit a brick wall and wasn't progressing anymore. In that time, I picked up a buggy and started running it as well. Almost immediately I started to progress again and have done so rapidly.
Truggy is forgiving and teaches bad habits. I didn't think so until I ran both back to back.
For me, truggy became the go have fun class and buggy was super competitive. Truggy gave you the feeling that you could just hang it out and run the crap out of it, where buggy requires a little fines.

Both are fun though. Buggy is more competitive and what really counts at the big races. If you want to progress, buggy is what you need.
I also honestly believe that most race programs will start dropping the truggy class by 2013. I'm seeing less and less at every race. Heck, the RC Pro Finals had less than 20 in the Open class. I don't recall how many in pro or sportsman, but I know it was far less than buggy.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
The truggys a lil more sluggish on the track then the buggy?
Depends on the driver. I can usually match my best buggy lap with truggy. My times with them are always really close.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Around what areas do you compete pick?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Buggy or truggy? The correct answer is BOTH! That's what I did. Buggy for that light, nimble feel. Truggy for rompin', stompin' fun. Both have about the same popularity at the track here in Edmonton. Personally, I find the truggies are faster at our track. The track here is mostly jumps and medium-sharpness turns so the low end power and taller tires of the truggies give them an advantage in horizontal distance covered in the jumps. Frankly though, they are both awesome for slightly different reasons.
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I just sold my truggy, dropping that class for next year. I travel all over my region racing and truggy is dieing, fast. I went to a race a couple of weeks ago, 153 entries and only 9 truggies.

Just as everyone has stated, buggy tires are cheaper. I don't find that truggy tires last any longer than buggy either as some have stated. I wear them at about the same rate.

Truggy is a very fun class, I ran it exclusively for 2 years and did very well. Towards the middle of this season I found that I had hit a brick wall and wasn't progressing anymore. In that time, I picked up a buggy and started running it as well. Almost immediately I started to progress again and have done so rapidly.
Truggy is forgiving and teaches bad habits. I didn't think so until I ran both back to back.
For me, truggy became the go have fun class and buggy was super competitive. Truggy gave you the feeling that you could just hang it out and run the crap out of it, where buggy requires a little fines.

Both are fun though. Buggy is more competitive and what really counts at the big races. If you want to progress, buggy is what you need.
I also honestly believe that most race programs will start dropping the truggy class by 2013. I'm seeing less and less at every race. Heck, the RC Pro Finals had less than 20 in the Open class. I don't recall how many in pro or sportsman, but I know it was far less than buggy.

Is this at big event races or club races ?

Walee: I havnt ran buggy in a while so i dont remember which was is sluggish from each other i guess it depends on what kind of reaction you have. Since you said that your track still has a good enough turnout for truggy i whould go ahead and get the losi eight 2.0 t rtr.

Ive been noticeing on here that the truggy class in the south is dead but here in the northeast its still strong ?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Seems that way to me, its like down here in the southern portion of the U.S. there is a bigger crowd for the buggy but overall the southern portion is also lacking on tracks! I would love to see a overall rise in the amount of tracks in the south! Need the amount of tracks so cal has.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Tech Elite

I absolutely love my Truggy. Yeah tires are more expensive but I shop around and get great deals. When I run my truggy I am more relaxed on the stand, its just more fun for me. Im not sure who said the truggy is not as durable HA, my 8T 2.0 is dialed. This year Ive run quite a bit and broke on arm from hitting a fence and a battery tray cover.

My buggy is way harder to drive as fast and takes a hell of alot more concentration. It HAS made me faster with my truggy because you learn to be precise with a buggy and it carries over.

If you want to REALLY learn to drive and get serious into racing get a buggy. If you dont care and just want to race in a fun class then get a truggy.

Just remember everytime you work on your ride, check and double check your servo EPAs........ It will save you alot of money.
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
Tech Regular

I think the buggy is gonna be ALOT! cheaper I have been shopping around and it looks like truggy just cost sooo much more.