R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got. Beautiful slightly used mbx6 off this sight. I put in a rb s7 and it runs like a dream. I'd suggest going mugen!
EatYoLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure the caster cars are mbx5 knock offs.
Your budget is tough. I would look in the used section there are some smoking deals in there sometimes. You can usually get a hopped up roller for 1/2 price of a new car.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Your budget is tough. I would look in the used section there are some smoking deals in there sometimes. You can usually get a hopped up roller for 1/2 price of a new car.
That's not true. Have you seen or had one for yourself?
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sein View Post
I have....bought 2 from there. Just need to be careful and look for a team racer's or sponcered guy's ride...they jump ship at times and sell their old (tricked) rides that are in mint shape and better then new alot of times. At a great price. Just can't be in a hurry.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider618 View Post
okay i understand you guys but what about hot bodies they seem like they have hell of a reputation for them being prettymuch destructionproof lol the arms look like some body just dremeld them out of a 6" by 6" block of plastc and hoped for the best. i dont see any cutouts is this for reinforcement or?any way if i go hot bodies which one buggy/truggy? it seems like the driveline is free. maybe add some lightend diff outdrives and stuff and im set
Hotbodies are a good car I use to have three of Ve8's. One stock, one with HHH chassis, and a parts car. Buggys died around here (sold them and traded them off) know there making a come back. I wanted another ve8 but came across a RC8be locally ran 5 times for such a great price I could not refuse. They are defiantly 2 different animals rc8 turns super easy compared to my ve8's. I like the ve8 cars there awsome you just alum skids for stock chassis. To reduce possible chassis breakage as they ran a molded plastic type of chassis compared to the other running alum
Rd. 2 TQ-1st--Rd. 3 3rd
Mxer59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the Hot Bodies D8 and D8T and they are amazing and extremely durable, believe me I'm not the greatest driver in the world if you saw how many times I've crashed or been crashed into you would understand. The only parts I've broken are a few rear hubs and that's after 2 seasons, with regular maintenance though any vehicle will stand up over the test of time. I've replaced the bearings in my clutch bell a couple of times and have spare bearings for both vehicles and check and clean regularly and they aren't sloppy or need replacing yet, haven't gone into the new bearing packs for anything but the clutch bell bearings yet. All depends on what your willing to spend but in my opinion the D8 and D8T are the best bang for the buck. As for whether buggy or truggy, I like the way my truggy handles it's way more forgiving than my buggy but I love driving them both but if I had to pick one class or the other my truggy would be racing over my buggy though.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sein View Post
I have seen them. There's a sponsored guy in my area and let me say he runs not caster cars it's the strangest thing I have seen but the mbx5 stuff came from him. I'm not knocking caster (no flaming here intended) The only issue I have seen is with the front arm there's one that breaks. I don't remember which one it was.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #23
Tech Addict

I personally wouldn't run Caster, mainly cause everyone who I have seen running them ended up putting a ton of mugen parts on them cause they kept blowing diffs or breaking. This was about a year or so ago and they may have fixed those issues, but I've steered clear since.

But, what I have seen of the buggy, it doesnt seem to have the issues the truggy had. I havent seen it ran much cause no one in my area runs Caster anymore.

The D8 and D8T are both good choices for the price. They are very durable and can run up front. I don't say this just cause I'm running a D8. I know a few people in my area who run them and have seen very little failures from them.
I'm actually considering a switch to another brand just to try something new.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The main thing with any new car is patience and good maintenence.
Team Trinity
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's what I had to do. I had the original K8T and had to put mugen parts on it to keep it together for a heat.
Not flaming. Just my experience.

OP - just pick one you like
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here's my thoughts and opinion on why Caster is for you. These are in no particular order.

HB are great cars. I had both the truggy and buggy and they were outstanding. But HB is getting pretty mainstream so if you're trying to stay away from the "big names" then you may want to stay away from HB.

Cars break. Everyone is going to "know someone" who's had a problem with parts, etc. All the major name brands have the same issues (meaning drivers that have had problems in one way, shape or form). I spent more time hunting down parts for my RC8B than I did driving it. You're going to have spare parts for any vehicle you drive. But remember there are plenty of owners out there who have had race after race with zero problems whatsoever. Reliability depends on who you talk to, but since that seems to be an issue lets address it from my personal observation.

Did Caster have issues at one time where Mugen parts became a "must have"? Sure, but like any company those issues were addressed and fixed. But that also brings up another point. If you're at a race and something breaks for which you don't have a spare, there's a pretty good chance someone will have a Mugen and/or Mugen parts. Is it ideal? Probably not. Will it keep you racing? Probably. And if you play the odds, how many times will you encounter that situation?

I know many guys that stand behind Caster. I've spoke with Mike Mazza a few times on the phone and am completely convinced he believes in the cars, believes in their capability, and stands behind them 100%. For bang for the buck you're going to have a hard time convincing me of a better car. And to be honest, I think in the hands of any great driver these cars would do extremely well. The only challenge Caster faces is they don't have a "big name" for all the kool-aid drinkers to idolize.

For the critics that say "It's a Mugen knock off", which I'm not sure it is based solely on the pillow ball suspension...so what? Mugen are great cars. One could argue everyone is a rip off of the big two in some way anyway. Caster is still good, solid stuff. You can only reinvent the wheel so many times before it comes back around. How does it affect you if it is similar to one car or another? If anything it may help you as I pointed out earlier.

I don't think you would be sorry going with Caster. I can't say they're better or their the best, I don't think anyone can. But what I can say I for the support and quality of kit, you will not be disappointed.

$.02
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
I have seen them. There's a sponsored guy in my area and let me say he runs not caster cars it's the strangest thing I have seen but the mbx5 stuff came from him. I'm not knocking caster (no flaming here intended) The only issue I have seen is with the front arm there's one that breaks. I don't remember which one it was.
Right on, I understand. It seem like the caster company has had some issues in the past few years, but, like any good company, then work through them. My K8T has all caster parts on it; and I will continue to update the K8T thread to share with everyone the good and the bad about the truck.
Sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
Tech Prophet

Ive seen the new caster pro truggy it looks pretty nice to me and strong looking i whould buy it if there was a stronger parts support for it on more online shops .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
+1 on this. A lot of guys only use vehicles one season and then they go up on here for really good prices. Hint, keep an eye out for Frank's cars.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Kawirider618

heres my two choices and thanks for all the help but i have chosen the final two. you can post your replys below but i think ive got it prettty drawn out.

Step and area 1.: kits.:

Tamiya trf801x buggy-245.00 shipped
Dynamite Platinum .21XP "V2" 7-Port Off Road Racing Engine (Turbo Plug)-150.00
HK15298B High Voltage Coreless Digital servo (2) 40.50
Subcultures Pre-mounts - Green compound (4) 40.00 after discount

Total: $475.5 Completed buggy

step and area 2.: kits.:

Hot bodies d8t truggy-310.00

total: $500.50

Step and area 3.: RTR.:

Kyosho Inferno NEO ST Race Spec ReadySet 1/8 Scale Truck w/KT-201 2.4GHz & KE25 Engine (Type 1)-420.00

total: $420.00

what do you thinK?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawirider618 View Post
heres my two choices and thanks for all the help but i have chosen the final two. you can post your replys below but i think ive got it prettty drawn out.

Step and area 1.: kits.:

Tamiya trf801x buggy-245.00 shipped
Subcultures Pre-mounts - Green compound (4) 40.00 after discount

Total: $475.5 Completed buggy

step and area 2.: kits.:

Hot bodies d8t truggy-310.00

total: $500.50

Step and area 3.: RTR.:

Kyosho Inferno NEO ST Race Spec ReadySet 1/8 Scale Truck w/KT-201 2.4GHz & KE25 Engine (Type 1)-420.00

total: $420.00

what do you thinK?

Go for the D8t thats a good setup you want to get.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote