R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
Tech Regular

when running indoor here in socal they make the guys outside to sauce there tires. stinky. helps lay a groove in the track too i think.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Wd40?

What will wd40 do to tires?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Banded from roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Flaming works, but will get you banded from ROAR events. i guess when it was first use some kids tried it and burnt a pit area down.

to use or not to use, really depends on track conditions and track surface temp. i use it when needed. At the 2011 Clash everyone was using something. The groove was there but real slick because track temp was cool. I ran with it and with out it and it made a huge difference.
Z-Car Z10XB-E / Toro 150amp/2150KV
ZcarUSA Dist: SH Tires / Z-Car / SH Engines / Toro, Force Sieres Sponsor
kilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ok so what are they putting on the tire. In the pic on neobuggy it looks like a can of PVC adhesive or something of that nature
moto431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
CRP
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilfish View Post
Flaming works, but will get you banded from ROAR events. i guess when it was first use some kids tried it and burnt a pit area down.

to use or not to use, really depends on track conditions and track surface temp. i use it when needed. At the 2011 Clash everyone was using something. The groove was there but real slick because track temp was cool. I ran with it and with out it and it made a huge difference.
When heat cycling 1-1 racing tires, each heat cycle will make the compound a little harder. I'm not sure what temps flamming the tire reaches, but I would think just a chemical compound would be better. The best way to measure how effective the tire softeners are, or flamming, is purchasing a tire durometer and it will show you how much softer the rubber is after soaking.
Competition Heat
CRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

As I remember the motor spray/flamming thing was not to soften the tire but to get rid of the OIL from the tire. There is always a thin layer of lube on all the tires so that they pop out of the molds easy. When racing on blue groove surfaces you dont want that lube on the tires so you burn it off.
brian kadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
What will wd40 do to tires?
WD40 is petroleum based and will act as a solvent, softening the petroleum based rubber of the tires. IMO, the main differences between all the additives are the evaporation rates. The slower the evaporation the deeper the penetration (words to live by ) yielding a more consistent level of grip throughout the run. I feel that the quicker the evaporation the softer the tire will be at the beginning of the run, but will fall off earlier by comparison due to the lack of penetration and tire wear. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Joey Powell; 12-19-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Joey Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

on top of burning off the mold release,Lighting the tire also helps open the pores of the rubber letting your addiative of choice soak in deeper and last longer, i used to do this with nitro spray. and a toothbrush with wd-40 brush it on the tire while still pretty warm. only worked on hard pack grooved tracks, just softens the rubber a bit, tires will ware faster, and there is a fine line of to much heat and sauce.
rcracer1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jabroni racing

I found simple green (depending if you use full strngth or mix) both softens the tires and also helps keeping dirt/dust from sticking, and if you spray your tires and leave leave wet in the sun to dry they get even more sticky. on the outdoor track here in florida we get grooves that are dark grey , blue and blck and you can use the additive here at times..
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default sika...

just started using sika cleaner on tires.. wholly gumballs!!!! hard to find works great...
gabbyb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto431 View Post
Ok so what are they putting on the tire. In the pic on neobuggy it looks like a can of PVC adhesive or something of that nature
I use Diesel fuel in a PVC cleaner can
Works really good for indoor tracks.

Outdoor, Ive found that Simple Green is the most consistent with grip. Thats all I use for outdoor.

Eddy