R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? What all do I need when I order a kit?

I'm still 50/50 on the Kit vs RTR side of things, but I'd love some help identifying and pricing everything that I would need to get a kit car going. I'm specifically interested in knowing what all is needed with the AE RC8.2 kit, and where to find that stuff.

On the RC10 site it lists:

- .21 class rear exhaust engine
(Where do I even find RC engines? And what's compatible with the RC8.2? Are they universal? What's a good starter competition engine?)

- Muffler, joinng pack, or muffler spring (#28045 or #28049 recommended)
(Same question)

- 2-channel radio/transmitter set with switch - FM/PCM/2.4GHz recommended
(This is the remote, right? If that's the case then I'm good because I already have one for my SC8)

- Transmitter batteries
(Double-A's I'm assuming?)

- 4.8-7.4v receiver battery pack: 1) either flat or hump style NiMH battery; 2) either 1600mAh LiPo or 2100mAh LiPo or 1700 LiFe battery recommended
(I don't understand battery-lingo, can anyone explain to me the difference in these batteries and what is best?)

- Model car fuel (30% nitro recommended)
(I'm in the Northern Colorado area, is 30% still recommended? I use 20% in my SC8 with no issues)

- Fuel bottle
(Got it)

- Glow igniter
(Got it)

- Starter box
(Huh? How's this work? Plug in the glow igniter and it spins the crank?)

- 1:8 scale buggy tires
(Are all buggy tires the same?)

- CA (cyanoacrylic) glue
(What all needs glue?)

- Polycarbonate-specific spray paint or polycarbonate-specific bottled paint and airbrush
(Not worried about this as I'd likely just order a prepainted body from Amazon or something like that)

- Thread-locking compound
(WTF is this?)

- Needle-nose pliers
(I'm not surprised that I would need this, but what all would I need it for?)

- Hobby knife
(Got it)

- Reamer or hole punch for making holes in body
(Got it)

- Ride height gauge
(? Never heard of this for RCs before)

And what are all of the miscellaneous tools that I would need? I've been told to load up on hex-heads -- does that mean just a generic allen-wrench set or what?

I just want to have all of my questions answered so that I can make the best decision for me whether to go with a Kit or a RTR buggy. I know I'd learn more with a kit, but I'm crazy apprehensive because it isn't something that I've done before and I don't know anyone locally (in person, anyway) that has ever put together an RC before, yet alone a Nitro. And I'll admit it, I'm afraid to screw up and have a ~$600-$700 brick.
Monkeezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA another Muggydude...
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeezilla View Post
I'm still 50/50 on the Kit vs RTR side of things, but I'd love some help identifying and pricing everything that I would need to get a kit car going. I'm specifically interested in knowing what all is needed with the AE RC8.2 kit, and where to find that stuff.

On the RC10 site it lists:

- .21 class rear exhaust engine
(Where do I even find RC engines? And what's compatible with the RC8.2? Are they universal? What's a good starter competition engine?)

- Muffler, joinng pack, or muffler spring (#28045 or #28049 recommended)
(Same question)

- 2-channel radio/transmitter set with switch - FM/PCM/2.4GHz recommended
(This is the remote, right? If that's the case then I'm good because I already have one for my SC8)

- Transmitter batteries
(Double-A's I'm assuming?)

- 4.8-7.4v receiver battery pack: 1) either flat or hump style NiMH battery; 2) either 1600mAh LiPo or 2100mAh LiPo or 1700 LiFe battery recommended
(I don't understand battery-lingo, can anyone explain to me the difference in these batteries and what is best?)

- Model car fuel (30% nitro recommended)
(I'm in the Northern Colorado area, is 30% still recommended? I use 20% in my SC8 with no issues)

- Fuel bottle
(Got it)

- Glow igniter
(Got it)

- Starter box
(Huh? How's this work? Plug in the glow igniter and it spins the crank?)

- 1:8 scale buggy tires
(Are all buggy tires the same?)

- CA (cyanoacrylic) glue
(What all needs glue?)

- Polycarbonate-specific spray paint or polycarbonate-specific bottled paint and airbrush
(Not worried about this as I'd likely just order a prepainted body from Amazon or something like that)

- Thread-locking compound
(WTF is this?)

- Needle-nose pliers
(I'm not surprised that I would need this, but what all would I need it for?)

- Hobby knife
(Got it)

- Reamer or hole punch for making holes in body
(Got it)

- Ride height gauge
(? Never heard of this for RCs before)

And what are all of the miscellaneous tools that I would need? I've been told to load up on hex-heads -- does that mean just a generic allen-wrench set or what?

I just want to have all of my questions answered so that I can make the best decision for me whether to go with a Kit or a RTR buggy. I know I'd learn more with a kit, but I'm crazy apprehensive because it isn't something that I've done before and I don't know anyone locally (in person, anyway) that has ever put together an RC before, yet alone a Nitro. And I'll admit it, I'm afraid to screw up and have a ~$600-$700 brick.
First off, if you are even considering going RTR then the Losi 8 2.0 RTR buggy is the only way to go. There are a few other RTR buggies out there but none compares to the Losi RTR. So if you don't want to go Losi, the a kit is what you are gonna go with

As far as motors- yes al .21 motors are comparable so will give you more power then other some will last longer than others so on and so on. Ut they will all work with the buggy. This being your first buggy you might want to start off with a budget motor maybe something like a works b6 or maybe an Orion discovery

Muffler (in the 1/8 world we just call them pipes) you will first have to decide what motor you want to go with then pipe choice is pretty easy because there are usually just a few different choices that will work good wi a particular motor

Radio you said you got

If you go kit you will need servos

Starter box- yes basically it is a box with a rubber wheel and little electric motors in it. They motors spin the rubble wheel which makes contact with the flywheel on your nitro motor and with your glow igniter and glow plug that is what fires the motor.

Receiver battery- this is just a small 2 cell lipo or 5 cell nimh battery that gives power to you receiver and servos. You should have one in your sc8 as well

20% fuel would be fine to play around with

Tires yes all buggy tires are compatible get someone with a large pin tho just for playing around and a harder compound they will last you longer

Thread locking compound- threads locktite for metal to metal connecting.

Ride height gage don't worry about that is for racing and setting up the car to race not needed just to play around

Tools- this is all going to depend on what car you choose. They make tool sets both metric and SAE. Some cars have metric screws some have SAE so before you buy tools find out what screws the vehicle you have chosen has

Hopefully this has answered the majority of your questions. This is a very helpful and friendly forum, be sure to ask lost of questions to help you make the most intelligent decision before you buy. Is can be an expensive hobby so you don't want to buy twice if you don't have to
skoalisbad4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Smile

Aside from all the other stuff listed by others, don't forget the following:

Time
Patience
Beer
More Beer
hookem34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me View Post
Some cars have metric screws some have SAE
And some kits have BOTH! Yes, I am looking at you Losi......*shakes fist*.
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
Aside from all the other stuff listed by others, don't forget the following:

Time
Patience
Beer
More Beer
I don't drink, but I think I got the idea. Haha.

My bookmarks so far are...

ALL PRICES THROUGH AMAIN

AE RC8.2 Kit - $519.99

Novarossi P5 Engine - $236.99

Novarossi 41020 Manifold - $28.99

Efra 9901 Pipe - $89.99

Ofna Truggy Starter Box - $94.99

I'm thinking of buying in 4-ish weeks (give or take a little), so I may have to get the pipe somewhere else since it's backordered. Anything else I might need? Also, I only have the prices there just so I can judge what all I'm gonna end up spending..
Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Those choices look great!!! You will also need a good steering and throttle servo
Joey98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

ALL PRICES THROUGH AMAIN

AE RC8.2 Kit - $519.99

Efra 9901 Pipe - $89.99

I'm thinking of buying in 4-ish weeks (give or take a little), so I may have to get the pipe somewhere else since it's backordered. Anything else I might need? Also, I only have the prices there just so I can judge what all I'm gonna end up spending..
Watch the for sale forum, I picked up my ofna truggy starter box used with a custom flame wrap for $50 shipped, that will save you a little bit of cash.
Jarrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey98 View Post
Those choices look great!!! You will also need a good steering and throttle servo
Any recommendations? I don't know enough about servos -- what makes them good, what makes them bad, etc...
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Any recommendations? I don't know enough about servos -- what makes them good, what makes them bad, etc...
Good servos make a big difference how you buggy performs, how quick, more responsive and reliability, . Cheap ones with plastic gears dont last long. a few big crashes will take there toll, good ones with steel gears can handle alot more punishment.
When I got my TT S3 RTR, the cheap servos it came with threw the towel in, I invested in the Savox 1267/1268 high voltage servos, running them with 7.4v 2s lipo and the difference was night and day, made a huge difference how it drove, much easier, more responsive etc.

LRD- Australian distributor of Werks Race Blend 30% fuel. Dedicated solely to the supply of racing products for 1/8 scale nitro Rc. -lazrd.com.au-
Nitro Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:

ALL PRICES THROUGH AMAIN

AE RC8.2 Kit - $519.99

Efra 9901 Pipe - $89.99

If you get the 9901 pipe, go the 41021 manifold, much smoother on power, I was recomended on here, tried both and found the 41021 was better allround.

If you get the Novarossi engine you wont regret it, great motors, easy to tune, well mine is and make aswesome power.

LRD- Australian distributor of Werks Race Blend 30% fuel. Dedicated solely to the supply of racing products for 1/8 scale nitro Rc. -lazrd.com.au-
Nitro Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Most will recommend you Ace or Savox.

These can be found in the for sale section pretty cheap. Good info can be found here: http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php...e=Savox+Servos

I would advise buying lots of things like starter box and the kit itself secondhand. You can get amazingly good deals from people selling up or whatever and still get amazingly good stuff.

Ace 1015, Savox 1258 1257 1256 1267 1268 are all good servos (+ many more)

For steering in a buggy you would want at least 12kg torque, preferably 12-18kg, and a speed of less than 0.10 is preferable. Savox 1258 is great for steering in a buggy, 12kg torque and 0.08s speed, more than powerful and fast enough.

For throttle you need roughly the same torque (perhaps a bit less), the faster the better again.

Batteries wise, I would recommend AAs in your transmitter, much easier than stick packs and AAs are so cheap these days, I can get 16 for 99p at the 99p store , lasts a few meets, then chuck em

For your reciever pack, because your a beginner I would recommend a good 1600mAh NiMH battery. I would shy away from Lipo and Life as there can be if you don't treat them properly....to me that extra performance they give is not worth it if your 600 car goes up in flames....

Remember to get a good selection of tools, if its metric, 4 drivers, probs need two nut drivers, needle nose plyers, etc....you build tools up over time, start of with the basics listed in your manual.

Tyres wise buy second hand at the start, get a tried and tested compound and make and design, and use. Many racers will sell of their tyres extremely cheaply at the start. Don't bother wasting your money at the start of the greatest new tyres, you will waste $$$$$ at $40+ per set.

I was a beginner few years ago (still basically am lol), but I'm getting there, and I speak from PERSONAL experience, not from some sponsored club man who has been doing this for years

Have a look here and see how much you can get for ~$300 to get you going... rather than waste $500 on a nice new kit..... with a second hand kit you can always sell it on later and get a fair bit of money back and put it towards a new kit for when you decide you really enjoy the hobby

Good luck, and have fun!!! Its addictive.
kingcoltzan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zao18 View Post
And some kits have BOTH! Yes, I am looking at you Losi......*shakes fist*.
Not on the buggy or truggy.
l3asher is offline   Reply With Quote