R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

I plan on 100% racing. We have two really good tracks around here. One is dirt burners and I absolutely love that track and then I have one closer to me where everyone experienced and not go to run in the summer...

Ill probably go with the mugen because I had the mbx5t and that was one sexy kit even tho that cobra is very nice and I would love to own one because no1 at our tracks run one and i would like to break away from the mold.

I don't have a problem with driving anything. I've raced dirt bikes pro for about eight years or so and have been on them since I was four. So driving and doing it very well is a natural thing to me lol. All i need is one quick lap and then I'm good.

Thanks to everyone of you guys for your opinions and help. If you guys know of any other kits I never heard of or you think i may dig please post. The tracks I run on are a soft but sticky and loose tracks with alot of tight turns and rhythm sections wirh some good size jumps
doug e fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The MBX6T is a great truck. It's what everyone around here runs. I've only seen two people break arms. One was lawn darting it in from 10-15ft high, and the other was from getting tangled in the safety netting.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimble View Post
Serpent Cobra-T or Mugen MBX6T. I ran a Mugen MBX6T, that I ordered the day it became available for an entire season. After getting a set up I was happy with I absolutely loved it. A lot of guys complain about the arms, but in 1 year+ I only broke 2(a buddy actually broke one of the two). Then I switch to buggy for a season, sold out the hobby, then this year returned to truggy with the Serpent truck. I have to say out of the truggies I have driven, the Serpent is the best, with the Mugen being a close second(very very close). To me the Mugen seems to feel really planted with a slight pushy feel which makes it super easy to drive, where as the Serpent although a really stable truggy, took a bit of work and tinkering with modded shock pistons to get its suspension even close to the Mugens. I think the mugen handles the rough slightly better, but then I believe that the serpent carries more corner speed and accelerates slightly quicker likely do to it being a little lighter than the Mugen.
IDK about the Serpent being lighter than the Mugen, but I sold my 6T and cant compare. I do know that the 6T's are usually under weight at large race events. I saw a fast driver go from a bump to DQ due to his 6T being underweight.

I would stick with Losi, Serpent or Mugen and in no special order. All drive great. My personal favorite is the Serpent but any of these 3 are very capable. When it gets cold outside the Mugens do break lower arms. I drove a 6T for 8 months and had my fair share of busted lower arms. Last weekend I personally pulled 3 broken 6T's off the track and it wasnt even cold all day long yet. Its just something that happens. But the 6T does handle great on the track. Pick any one of these and you will be happy.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It doesn't matter what truggy you pick but setup and practice are integral with parts breaking on any truggy. In 2 years of driving my D8T I have replaced 3 rear hubs and a center diff casing (got chewed up from a rock that got stuck between the diff and the chassis) I maintain my bearing and clean up all the time. As far as I'm concerned it's really up to you which truggy you choose but if you crash as much as I do (due to an injury at work, headaches, dizziness and generally pain all the time) I am surprised I haven't had to replace every part on my truggy to date. I ran Losi before and that held up really good as well (no idea on the 2.0, had a 1.0) I have seen the others run but as long as your not crashing all the time I believe any truggy on the market should be pretty good to you, it all depends on what you're willing to spend for example these are prices from Amain Hobbies:

Mugen MBX6T $529.99
Associated RC8T CE $519.99
Hotbodies D8T $334.99
Losi Eight-t 2.0 race roller
Losi Eight-t 2.0 kit $629.99
Losi Eight-t 2.0 RTR $799.99
Kyosho Inferno ST-RR $829.99
Serpent S811T $609.99
XRAY XT8 2009 $569.99

I'm still rooting for the HB but I still would like to try every other one on this list.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
IDK about the Serpent being lighter than the Mugen, but I sold my 6T and cant compare. I do know that the 6T's are usually under weight at large race events. I saw a fast driver go from a bump to DQ due to his 6T being underweight.

I would stick with Losi, Serpent or Mugen and in no special order. All drive great. My personal favorite is the Serpent but any of these 3 are very capable. When it gets cold outside the Mugens do break lower arms. I drove a 6T for 8 months and had my fair share of busted lower arms. Last weekend I personally pulled 3 broken 6T's off the track and it wasnt even cold all day long yet. Its just something that happens. But the 6T does handle great on the track. Pick any one of these and you will be happy.
The Serpents are indeed lighter than the Mugens. Mugen's advertised weight is 4,000g I would assume that is race ready, Serpent's advertised weight of 3,600g race ready all depends on gear. I know for a fact my Serpent is a lot lighter than my best friends Mugen, but then again I run lipo with no switch or regulator and he runs nickel metal. I use the smaller futaba 614 receiver and he uses the larger 603fs.
Boca Bearings-VP Pro USA
trimble is offline   Reply With Quote