R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Coloradan looking for a Nitro Buggy **input appreciated**

Hey guys,

I'm not very active in the RC community, so I don't really know what is popular for racing, bashing or anything like that. In fact, I'm still pretty new to the RC car/truck world, more specifically Nitro as my Associated SC8 SC truck is my first RC car that I haven't gotten from Walmart. Haha. So far I'm really digging my truck, and know that this newly found addiction will just get worse. That said, I'm looking into possibly getting a buggy in early/mid-2012. Partly for bashing, but a buggy that is also capable of being raced should I decide to go that route. I'd love to stay with an 1/8th scale nitro, but I'm open to hearing about others.

Are 1/8 scale nitros raced often?

What buggies are popular in the racing community? bashing community?

I was looking around a bit earlier and found the Kyosho Inferno NEO 1/8 Buggy, and that looked interesting. It's at a VERY attractive price, and I've heard great things about Kyosho, but would it work for both racing and bashing?

I'm partial of Team Associated stuff, but like I said, I'm open to other ideas.

I'm in the Nothern Colorado area if any locals can help me out. The closest track to me is the one near Union Reservoir/Longmont Lake in Eastern Longmont, CO if anyone is interested in that.

Any and all input on this would be great. If the price is attractive enough I may buy sooner -- I believe the next season at my track starts in late January/early February-ish.
Monkeezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

I've also heard some good things about the LOSI 810...
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

1/8th Nitro Buggy is the largest class in the world, hand's down. That said, some local tracks do not host 1/8th nitro races for a number of reasons. If you are planning on racing, go to your local tracks and find out what the most popular classes are.

For a recommendation, the HPI D8S would be a pretty good starting point, if you wanted something RTR. It's got HPI plastics which hold up to endless amounts of abuse. [Go watch some HPI Blitz bashing videos on Youtube if you doubt HPI plastics.] It is also based on a world-championship platform with race capabilities if/when you decide to start racing. It also has CVA's on all four corners, as well as the center drives, 4mm shocktowers and chassis, etc.

The Kyosho NEO is an "okay" kit, based on their antiqued MP7.5/MP777 platform. It would require an engine swap to be race legal if you ever decide to go that route. It's got decent durability for bashing and racing, but it's outdated and has issues with it due to being a budget model, specifically plastic shocks, .25 engine (as mentioned above), cheap aluminum, only front universals, etc.

If you are wanting a kit, that's a completely different ball-game that I won't get into since it seems like you're looking for an RTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeezilla View Post
I've also heard some good things about the LOSI 810...
The 810 isn't really a good choice for racing. It's a lightweight buggy powered by a small-block engine. It's a 1/10th vehicle that happens to be have the dimensions of a 1/8th. It shares many parts with the SCTE and Ten-T.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I definitely prefer a RTR, but I'm open to kit options. I'm sure that I'd learn a lot more about the technology by going that route, but my only issue is that I don't have anyone familiar with Nitro builds that can help me out if I struggle getting it together.

What do you think about a Losi 8ight 2.0?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up nitro and electric u pick

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm not very active in the RC community, so I don't really know what is popular for racing, bashing or anything like that. In fact, I'm still pretty new to the RC car/truck world, more specifically Nitro as my Associated SC8 SC truck is my first RC car that I haven't gotten from Walmart. Haha. So far I'm really digging my truck, and know that this newly found addiction will just get worse. That said, I'm looking into possibly getting a buggy in early/mid-2012. Partly for bashing, but a buggy that is also capable of being raced should I decide to go that route. I'd love to stay with an 1/8th scale nitro, but I'm open to hearing about others.

I was looking around a bit earlier and found the Kyosho Inferno NEO 1/8 Buggy, and that looked interesting. It's at a VERY attractive price, and I've heard great things about Kyosho, but would it work for both racing and bashing?

I'm in the Nothern Colorado area if any locals can help me out. The closest track to me is the one near Union Reservoir/Longmont Lake in Eastern Longmont, CO if anyone is interested in that.

Any and all input on this would be great. If the price is attractive enough I may buy sooner -- I believe the next season at my track starts in late January/early February-ish.
hey boss i ran nitro all my life.and loved them than came the lipos electric so much better no gas to tuinning when hot and cold and much faster, great i run the ofna ultra lx2e with a hobbyn wing 2000kv motor and 150 amp esc with a 4 cell 5000 gen ace and a 19 tooth pion gear power and speed omg it hit 60 mpg no problem also same esc with a 2450 tacon motor is even faster and i keep up with rc8 with no problems if u run on a clay track your going to have to use pro line suburs tires good luck hope works out whater u choose.
rick7982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Check the Denver RC community

http://denver-rc.com/index.php
FMLinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely prefer a RTR, but I'm open to kit options. I'm sure that I'd learn a lot more about the technology by going that route, but my only issue is that I don't have anyone familiar with Nitro builds that can help me out if I struggle getting it together.

What do you think about a Losi 8ight 2.0?
The Losi is a good RTR that you can race and comes with a pretty good radio system. You will find the forum on here that has plenty of information on what guys have done with them; mods, upgrades, etc...
ProLine! Upgrade RC!
Spads11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Tech Regular

+1 to the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR kit. For the price and what you get, it's the best bang for your buck. You get a very decent radio with multi-model storage, a kit that is a good entry-race level, and a starter box to top it all off. When I bought my first RC, in hindsight, I wish I had bought this instead of my Ten T.
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Hey guys,

Hey man, I live in Longmont and raced at that track pretty much all year. Also pretty sure that track had the 2 biggest races of the year here in Colo.

As for cars... I would say your best bet is to get what most people are running locally in case you are in need of a part in the middle of a race day. Unfortunately we don't really have any hobby shops around that you can rely on to have the parts you may need in case of a break, so it's good to run what others locally will have spares for. Losi probably has the biggest following locally and we also have 3 Losi drivers here so getting Losi parts when your broken in the middle of a race day isn't too tough normally. Hot Bodies also has a decent following here locally and there is normally quite a few people with parts for the cars locally. We also have a few running Associated but they aren't quite as common as the other 2 so getting parts from a fellow racer may not be as easy in a pinch.

If your not in a hurry to buy anything you may want to wait till the season kicks off and come out and drive a few. I will say I think you should get a Losi but thats what I drive and like. You might like how the HB or the AE drives more tho. If you were to come out to the track I know I will let you try my car and I am sure some of the HB or AE guys will let you try theirs as well.
Chris Peralta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Listen to Peralta, if you are going to run nitro he's the guy to listen to-he knows a ton of stuff and is pretty helpful at the track.

As he said, losi is pretty big here in Colorado, and the parts are easy to find online, and at the track if you need something.

The losi itself is a great car, competitive and durable. However it's still a good idea to try different cars out to see how you like them.

I also suggest checking out the truggies. You may like them better than the buggies. There's pretty much always a class for them, but buggy is more popular.

Truggies will be easier to drive, and can take a little more abuse. Good if you want to "bash" as well.

If you worried about price, instead of buying a cheap RTR like the kyosho- try the for sale section on here. You can by race ready cars with top of the line gear for a lot less, even the same as a new RTR car. Just make sure the seller has a lot of positive feedback, and pictures.
Muggydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Tech Elite

As a new maybe racer in Colorado, Losi IMO will be your best bet. Parts are pretty easy to come by at the track. There is just tons of parts and LOTS of support from local pros.

PM Sent.

Tags
8th scale, buggy, colorado, nitro, rc8