R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Good starter nitro buggy for new racer? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/576776-good-starter-nitro-buggy-new-racer.html)

WindsorRacing 12-11-2011 02:56 PM

Good starter nitro buggy for new racer?

I tried posting this last night, and it did not stick. I checked out some similar threads on here and had some different questions than what was posted.

I am brand new to the sport, and am eager to get into racing due to a recent move and some great property nearby for racing. I have more than a basic knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering and know with a little research and work, I can figure out the ins and outs of this great hobby.

I have completed a lot of research on Nitro Buggys and Truggys and wanted to go to the general public for a final opinion. I am looking for an RTR or kit that has minimal assembly to start, so I can learn as I go and work on replacement parts and upgrades as needed. I am not afraid of some assembly, I just want to make sure I get my toolbox in order and get off and running smoothly. I am looking to spend about $450 new or used to start.

I have two racing enthusiast contacts who recommended the OFNA Ultra LX One 1/8th Buggy as a starter. Another friend recommended a used HotBodies D8 and one more discussed HPi.

In about a year, money will be no object for me, so my budget restraints are confined to the present. Any good advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Zao18 12-11-2011 04:42 PM

Here's 2 to check out:

1. Losi 810 buggy http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0021. I don't know why it says it's 1/10 scale on the page. It's actually a baby 1/8 scale buggy. Just a touch smaller than its bigger brother, the 8ight, but definitely bigger than a 1/10 buggy.

2. HPI D8S http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106116/. It's based off Hotbodies buggy race kit.

Both are 1/8 scale buggies that are under $500, and they both have pullstarts which saves on the cost of buying a bump box. However the HPI buggy is not due to be released until January next year I believe. If you can wait, I'd go with the HPI buggy since it is a "full sized" 1/8 buggy and it'll be better set up for racing.

EatYoLegs 12-11-2011 04:48 PM

Don't get a ofna lx1 if your interested in racing. I would recommend a mbx6 but that's cuz I have one so am obviously bias. Everyone has their own bias as to what car you should drive. I think if your planning on buying a new car then the d8 is the cheapest option and you will be competitive with it.

hakmazter 12-11-2011 05:16 PM

It depends on your goals and honest knowledge. If you were to go with a Caster Racing one, .21 GO racing engine and 2.4 ghz radio, etc... You could get upgrade parts as time goes by and easily switch it over to electric if you wanted to persue that later on.

Most importantly, you would get 24/7 help from the Caster forums. There are people there all the time and everyone helps everyone because it is a smaller company compared to Losi and AE.

Here is the $50 questions for you regarding brands.

Are you willing to mail order on your own? Do you have your own local hobby store nearby? Do they stock a lot of 1/8 parts for the brand they carry?

Mail order neans you can run anything, but remember that parts are 2-10 days away depending on shipping. Also remember that there is a trick to shipping no matter the company. The trick is to never order just a part or 2 unless it is an emergency. Think of it this way. You order a $8 arm and it cost $5 priority. You can put several small items in the same box, so putting 2 arms in there would be 2.50 each, 4 arms shipping would be 1.25 each, etc...

WindsorRacing 12-11-2011 06:32 PM

hakmazter

Thanks for the advice. I have a few hobby shops in the area, but I actually dont think they ultimately will have what I need if I really get into this. Plenty to start, however.

Mail order is not an issue. I mail order plenty of other items for my home and business, so I can be patient.

For starters, my goal is to learn and have fun and eventually be competitive, but that is down the road. For now, I just need that good jumping off point and to get a toolbox for my car together. I figure it will be a good year of tinkering and purchasing before I consider any type of competitive racing. And in about a year, I will have a budget that will allow me to seek out the very best.

nitroexpress 12-11-2011 07:04 PM

A few things to keep in mind.

Most RTR's come with engines that are larger than .21 (buggy max engine size is .21) and many have fuel tanks larger that 125cc. This would make them technically illegal to race. But at a local club race, it probably would be OK (check with track). The OFNA LX1 would fall in this catagory. BTW, the Jammin X1 is also a decent pick.

Although the Losi 810 might seem like an 1/8 scale, it's not. Fun to run, but totally inappropriate to race.

HB D8S looks good, but it's not on the market yet.

Buying used saves money, but be cautious of buyer claims. Know what you are seeing, as far as condition. Many times, engine condition is grossly misleading as far as condition.

Good luck.

drstrangelove 12-12-2011 12:50 AM

If money is not a concern, which buggy will you go for?

sorry wrong post

Mark _australia 12-12-2011 01:42 AM

If you will have lots of money in a year, and want to get into it now, I'd suggest a roller which has had little use (and/or very good maintenance) with some spares included, for say $250-$300.... and a new motor.

Then in a year you can buy the same brand and updated model) in a kit to assemble.

Say for example, buy a very good RC8B roller now then next season buy an RC8.2 kit. Then you get to know the buggy well and (1) have some spare parts commonality and (2) have a spare buggy for when you crash :nod:

stevetford 12-12-2011 03:13 AM

I know this is out of the budget, but trust me from someone who was in the same position as you a few months ago the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR kit is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get going Add fuel and batteries and you are running. The Losi brand is ran everywhere, so you will always run into someone who knows their way around one and from what I seen of this hobby other racers are more than willing to help a new guy out. Like I said though, this is just at $200 over budget, but I would save the extra cash if I had to. Don't forget though, buying the buggy and electronics is only part of the hobby, you will also need a battery charger and tools for regular maintenance. Good luck, please let us know what you end up with.

I guess I can't add links yet. Amainhobbies has the Losi 8ight 2.0 rtr kits for $649.99

WindsorRacing 12-15-2011 09:06 PM

Mark- Excellent idea.

Thank you to everyone else for the response. Lots of good information.

I think I am going to probably end up with a roller or D8, then build from there for the next year, then after that, upgrade to some serious hardware.

Take care all.