R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Where do i start?

Hi guys,

Havn't owned an RC for a long time and im looking at getting into it! My plan is to buy something average and build on it i just dont know where to start.

Just after some recommendations on a few cars to throw around the local track and hopefully i can get some knowledge and grow on it.

Basically will only be used on the dirt. If you can link me to some info even that would be much appreciated. I just don't know what im looking at whatsoever and dont want to get ripped by a local hobby shop. So just a little bit of anything would be great.

Looking at spending around 300-400 Preferably but throw whatever at me.

*flame suit on*

Thanks in advance!

Mick.
pickle' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Try Exceed. They're cheap and good for what you pay for. I started off using Exceed. You can find them on nitrorcx.com
dimsimmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Let me tell you something from my own experiance,,,
I've tested some trucks for bashing purpose such as T maxx, revo, slayer, savage x4.6, savage xl 5.9, Jammin CRT.5 ,,,, and one or two more. however i regret i've never own Truggy, and the reason was bcause its come as a kit and it needs many things to be ready to run like Tx/rx, servos, engine/exhaust, starter box/battery, tiers/wheels ,,,,, in short, more expenses. but during time i have spent lots of money for a broken parts and upgrades including engines,,,,
from the above case i want to recommend you to buy a Truggy (popular brand),, at least you can either bash or you may want to race it in your local track soon or later,,,, but as you are planning to pay less than 500$ you may need to be patint until you find the appropriate one maybe here on forum forum or even ebay

thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It really depends on what you want to do, race or bash. I started racing for a love of competition and that guided my choices initially on what I bought. I see your price range and for nitro racing for something that will last and be competitive means you are looking at something used. Check the forums on here in the for sale section and you will find some good stuff usually. Dive in the appropriate thread and see what everyone is doing to the vehicle to make it work for them. Ask a lot of questions before purchase and make sure you have a lot of pictures of whatever you intend to buy before making the deal. I started in truggy bc they are easier to handle for the most part and then gravitated to buggy, which made me a better driver overall.
ProLine! Upgrade RC!
Spads11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

For your budget I recommend the hpi savage x hands down for bashing. They are the toughest monster truck out there and can take a serious beating.

If you have a local track and intend on racing your gonna have to spend a considerable amount more to get something reliable. If your budget allows I would get a losi 8ight t 2.0 rtr. Also kyosho just released a new strr readyset rtr that looks nice.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

The Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR includes a good radio,receiver,starter box,and a kick ass engine.Its a gas and go.

A Monster Truck is a lot of fun to bash around shifting gears a pulling wheelies but not as reliable and harder to work on.The Losi XXL RTR also comes with a radio.rx,roto start,and a kick ass engine.

FYI - team member opportunities open/ be advised we only accept applications from drivers over age 47, w/ decreased vision, slowed reflexes & reaction time, debilitating physical injuries acquired from over work, old age or prior lapse in judgment of capabilities!
CHOAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle' View Post
Hi guys,

Havn't owned an RC for a long time and im looking at getting into it! My plan is to buy something average and build on it i just dont know where to start.

Just after some recommendations on a few cars to throw around the local track and hopefully i can get some knowledge and grow on it.

Basically will only be used on the dirt. If you can link me to some info even that would be much appreciated. I just don't know what im looking at whatsoever and dont want to get ripped by a local hobby shop. So just a little bit of anything would be great.

Looking at spending around 300-400 Preferably but throw whatever at me.

*flame suit on*

Thanks in advance!

Mick.
OFNA LX2 . $299. GREAT .28 motor.... If you like nitro. not sure what to recommend if you want electric.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default this one?

i found a truggy on ebay for about $480 LOSI 8IGHT-T 2.0 (unable to like due to my nil posts) should this be what im looking for and does that seem like a reasonable price for what it is?
pickle' is offline   Reply With Quote