R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simptek View Post
Cool conversation. I thought the signature spot was just to put what you wanted. I just list the models that I race. Honestly, I never thought that all of the signatures that i see and read meant that the person was sponsored. Matter of fact with all of the creative screen names that you see on here no one knows who you are anyway.
I don't think there are any set rules for siggys. Anything goes.
3DRCRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to pravesh736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Thank You

I don't have the pockets to compete with the big boys, but I will do everything in my power to take care of my guys...even talking to Australia in the middle of the night ! doesn't matter, I am always here for my guys.....
thank u Neal for always being there .. tho ive never called u .
i appreciate your help a lot .
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa B View Post
This is a great topic just had a encounter with a young man who supposedly is sponserd by novak some bearing company and the local hobbyshop and a couple others i cant remember.So this kid is a very good driver but not the best i ever seen but he goes from track to track in my area braggin how great he his how many sponsers he has and treats no one with any respect i wheel with only one hand and every time this kid sees me he comes after me with all his disrespect sayin stuff like im gonna beat u good today and i told u i was faster it just never ends asks for help then says im wrong im like dont bother me then.So lost it on him told him off i know that it was the wrong response but im 40 years old and i refuse to let some 17 year old punk bully me around when im tryin to enjoy my fun everywhere i been almost all the 50percent sponsered guys are d bags and shame on these mfg for helpin out guys that treat other racers like that makes me want to sell all my shit and find a new hobby
I know many many people that are like this. Some sponsored and some are not. It does really get annoying. I myself am sponsored by the companies listed in my sig. I however know my place in this world. Im not the best driver, nowhere near the fastest. I ran the products from the companies I am sponsored by before even approaching them. Yes there are perks to being sponsored but at the same time there are drawbacks in CERTAIN situations.

I myself, and A LOT of the guys/girls I race with will give a fellow racer the shirt off their back if needed. That in itself is what keeps me in this hobby. That is how it should be, especially if sponsored.

R.I.P Matt "Reaper" Powers 09/24/1953 - 10/24/2013
JamminSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I tend to give my loyal repeat customers better deals on their products, instead of giving out good deals to guys just because they are fast drivers.... If anyone is going to be taking bread off my table I would much rather it be by a loyal customer who has supported me along the way..... reward those who deserve to be rewarded....... Not saying having a fast driver under my banner is a bad thing, but truth be told my most successful sponsored drivers all started off as retail customers !
well Said ,
Old 12-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very interesting thread

+1 JamminSP

"I however know my place in this world. Im not the best driver, nowhere near the fastest. I ran the products from the companies I am sponsored by before even being sponsored"

I think my signature is self explanitory.

The best sponsor is the one for the products you already happen to be running before getting a deal !

Last edited by Flanno; 12-09-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Flanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

nicely put flanno
nitro rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #67
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I love this thread! But theres one thing that no one has touched on yet

I think the reason you see so many "sponsored" guys is because its just another ways for companies to make money.

for example: If I sponsor Joe Shmo and give him 50% off all merch, he thinks he is getting a killer deal by being sponsored. Meanwhile, Im guaranteeing myself a customer and making money from him because I know he has to purchase my products.

With all the locally "sponsored" guys out there, do these companies really know who they are sponsoring? No. There are just too many racers out there to keep a tight knit family. Its just a way to secure customers to your specific brand or service.

Is it nice being sponsored? Hell yes it is! I mean, c'mon who doesnt like to save money on stuff they are gonna buy anyway. but I guarantee you, that the companies that are giving you 25-50% off wouldnt recognize you if you walked right in front of them.

just my $.02
AFX Fab
Lancebuilt Hobbies
Cory B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #68
Tech Master

All my sponsors know me personally

And hence have become good friends durring our association with each other
Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #69
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminSP View Post
I know many many people that are like this. Some sponsored and some are not. It does really get annoying. I myself am sponsored by the companies listed in my sig. I however know my place in this world. Im not the best driver, nowhere near the fastest. I ran the products from the companies I am sponsored by before even approaching them. Yes there are perks to being sponsored but at the same time there are drawbacks in CERTAIN situations.

I myself, and A LOT of the guys/girls I race with will give a fellow racer the shirt off their back if needed. That in itself is what keeps me in this hobby. That is how it should be, especially if sponsored.
I to am Sponsored Like JamminSP and like him i am Not the Fastest guy at the track but i will take time to help any one and do all i can to keep them racing and having fun at the track. I think now days Companies are not just looking for the fast guys but guys that are down to earth and will talk with anyone and help anyone and have a Good Attitude at the track i see this more and more from Companies. I think this comes from Companies who Sponsored fast guys at one time that would not help anyone and just had a Bad Attitude at the track and was just worried about Wining the Amain and that was it.

What the Fast guys forget is you are a representative of the companies you race for and you are an Ambassador of the Hobby and need to be see as that at all times at the the races. One of the Top Guys i have had a Pleasure to meet and race with is Ryan Lutz he is what all top guys should be like down to earth and just a True nice guy will help any one that he can and is just fun to talk with and race with.
Rc Pro ProDucts Team Driver www.rcproproducts.com
Hobby Pro USA Team Driver www.vp-pro-usa.com
thenova70ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #70
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

+1 on Lutz. I do as well have 2 sponsors. Im not the fastest in my area buy far either but I do try to represent the companies I run for well. I also help guys out at the track no matter what brand they run.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenova70ss View Post
I to am Sponsored Like JamminSP and like him i am Not the Fastest guy at the track but i will take time to help any one and do all i can to keep them racing and having fun at the track. I think now days Companies are not just looking for the fast guys but guys that are down to earth and will talk with anyone and help anyone and have a Good Attitude at the track i see this more and more from Companies. I think this comes from Companies who Sponsored fast guys at one time that would not help anyone and just had a Bad Attitude at the track and was just worried about Wining the Amain and that was it.

What the Fast guys forget is you are a representative of the companies you race for and you are an Ambassador of the Hobby and need to be see as that at all times at the the races. One of the Top Guys i have had a Pleasure to meet and race with is Ryan Lutz he is what all top guys should be like down to earth and just a True nice guy will help any one that he can and is just fun to talk with and race with.
Again +1 It's not always about the win, sure podiums are nice, but it's more about pressence and additude on and off the track, enjoying racing and the social side of our sport.

Keep in mind there are different levels of sponsorship !

Have had the pleasure to meet Ryan Lutz here in Aus
as well as Renaud Savoya and Scott Hughes, all 3 were a pleasure having down under at our track.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #72
Tech Fanatic

copy and paste from:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...ed-driver.html

What is a sponsored driver?

The term “sponsored driver” has changed this past decade and needs to be redefined for a new generation of R/C car racers. A sponsored driver used to equate to being a professional driver that, because of great skill, would enjoy benefits direct from manufacturers for high placement finishes at important races. Sponsored drivers and professional drivers now have vastly different meanings and the terms can no longer be synonymous.

A professional driver is highly skilled at setting up, maintaining, and driving an R/C car and winning high profile races. Manufacturers will hire professional drivers to use their products as a display of how good their product is to increase sales. Compensation for this employment is large discounts or free products, paid travel, contingency payment for high placement at high profile races. These drivers are the image and the representative of the manufacturer, and therefore constantly under pressure maintain professionalism and perform well to keep their employment contract with the manufacturer. Professional drivers race in “expert” and “modified” classes at races to demonstrate the best abilities of the manufacturer’s products.

Today’s sponsored driver is a consumer of manufacturer direct marketing. A racer that buys directly from a manufacturer or their overseas distributor simply needs to place an order for products for them to be “sponsored”. There is no expectation from the manufacturer for the sponsored driver to perform well at any race, or even race at all for that matter. Distributor, retailer, sponsored racer – it’s all the same sale and profit margin. Companies with low market share that are not very established will use this type of marketing. Since the racers skill level is not a factor in being sponsored, being sponsored should not limit a racers entry into “spec” or “amateur” classes.

Overveiw:

Professional driver

• Gets paid money for winning high profile races
• Gets travel and race entry fee paid for
• Gets highly discounted or free products, tests prototype products
• Helps develop a common setup for the whole “team” at a big race
• Can have contract terminated for lack of performance
• Limited available “Team Driver” positions
• Get to sit under the team tent with the other professional drivers at races
• Increases sales at the local track’s hobby shop

Sponsored driver

• Ordered directly from manufacturer at same cost as distributor or retailer to save money
• Racer pays for all travel and race fee’s, even at high profile races
• Runs setups that professional drivers developed
• Unlimited available sponsored driver positions
• Sponsorship not performance based
• Brings own table and tent to races
• Confused with common internet shoppers by LHS

Today’s Professional drivers can now be respected for there exceptional skills and abilities, whereas today’s sponsored drivers are recognized by how they purchased their equipment.
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

Copy and paste from:

http://www.offroadrc.ca/showthread.php?t=34771

OK.. I'll try to answer this to the best of my ability... We'll start at the top... AKA... Best of the Best.

Teir 1) Your truly PRO drivers. Folks who do this for a living. They feed themselves from money they make in this sport. They get paid whether they have a bad race or not... But they are required to stay on top of their game obviously, too many bad weekends, they'll be looking for new employment. Bonus money and contingency money are also possible. These people usually have an active part in the development of new cars and equipment from their respective manufacturer. They are also REQUIRED to be at the biggest races, as well as perform at a local level. Travel is paid for, entry fees paid for, free equipment, seat at the factory tent guaranteed, basically the whole enchelada.... But they've earned it through YEARS of consistently being the best. 99.9% of us in this hobby can only DREAM of being this good. These folks are the ones you see pictures of on the box your shiny new car came in!

Examples - Cavalieri, Maifield, Tebo, Truhe, Drake, Lutz, Masami, ... Etc. These are all guys who can show up anywhere and compete in the pro class and take home hardware. Your "Best of the Best".. "World Class" drivers.

Teir 2) Your 100% Sponsored guys. These folks get their gear (at least up to a certain dollar amount) free. These folks also are able to earn "contigency" money. Basically they are paid for a good performance. They do not draw a salaried pay check however... Most of these guys have normal 9-5 jobs just like the rest of the world. They are however usually extremely gifted at the controller... Capable of almost always placing in the A-Main no matter where they go, this guy might even have a good race day or get lucky once in awhile and get in the mix with the big dogs up in Tier 1. They also may recieve "prototype" gear. Stuff that is not ready to be released to the public. Usually they recieve this gear so the manufacturer can get extra feedback not povided by the Tier 1 guys involved in development. Some of this guys ideas may be used to improve the product however.

This is the guy at the track who is always more than willing to help you get that perfect setup in your car.. ESPECIALLY if you're running gear from his sponsor, but more than likely he'll help ya if you're running someone elses equipment. Remember though... He's trying to run a race too, so if he's on his way to the stand with a transmitter in his hand... Now may not be the time to bother him.

Teir 2.1) Employee - This is the guy who works for a manufacturer for a living. May have little to no skill (LOL... THIS IS A JOKE!) with a transmitter, but still generally a good guy. He isn't paid or rewarded to drive, but obviously he runs the gear of the company he works for, and puts their name on the sponsor sheet. Gets his equipment usually for free because he works there. Sometimes this guy can be your best friend!

Teir 3) Partial Sponsorship - Usually between 75 and 50% - Recieves his equipment direct from manufacturer for whatever percentage off. Again.. Usually up to a certain dollar amount. This level of sponsorship usually is just a break on your equipment, sometimes a posibility at contingency money, sometimes might get some hand me down prototype stuff. This is your up and coming guy. The guy who consistently cleans house at his home track, as well as puts on a decent performance on a regional level. You may also have a few guys in here who have "the gift of gab", while not a bad thing, it means they perform alright with a controller, but they serve a higher purpose to the companies they represent in that they are a good advocate. Sometimes this is that local go to guy when you need a part or setup advice.

While not as "Elite" as your 100% drivers or Pro guys... This is still something to be proud of.

This is the level (as well as next one.. "Teir 4") that 90% of your "Sponsored" guys fall into. This is also the level that nearly 100% of your "sponsored pricks" come from. Sometimes the little recognition that is given to this level of driver is enough to cause his head to expand to roughly the size of the moon.

Teir 4) The "I think I'm sponsored" guy. This guy is sponsored by companies who will accept anybody. All you have to do is ask. These companies do this for one reason, to improve the bottom line. Usually your new upstart companies. These companies sell direct so they don't have to loose money to the middle man. These drivers usually recieve their equipment for only a few dollars below what you could buy it at the LHS for... I've seen cases where it was MORE expensive.

This guys gets nothing but to say he's a "Team Driver". Also not a whole lot is expected of him. If you didn't actually have to sign a contract and mail it back... THIS is the level of sponsorship you have.

Your top level manufacturers don't really offer this level of sponsorship. This is usually once again, the new company trying to get it's feet in the door, or a smaller business trying to make a buck.

This is the level that DOES cause damage to the local hobby shop. This level also seems to have it's fair share of "Big Heads".

Not to start a war... But Caster was big about this for awhile... I haven't paid much attention lately though.

-----

I could go on for quite awhile longer to break this all down... but I doubt anybody will read this entire post anyway. If somebody wants me to finish it I will....

Again... This is just how I see it... I could have missed an important point or two.

I will say that I noticed some companies (including Kyosho) did clean house a bit last year and dropped a lot of people and tightened the guidelines on who gets accepted on the programs.
CANADA
I am not sponsored, these are the products I chose to support.
Serpent SRX8, Sanwa M11s, Sanwa SRX-BX servos, Picco 5TB
RAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmeida View Post
Copy and paste from:

http://www.offroadrc.ca/showthread.php?t=34771

OK.. I'll try to answer this to the best of my ability... We'll start at the top... AKA... Best of the Best.

Teir 1) Your truly PRO drivers. Folks who do this for a living. They feed themselves from money they make in this sport. They get paid whether they have a bad race or not... But they are required to stay on top of their game obviously, too many bad weekends, they'll be looking for new employment. Bonus money and contingency money are also possible. These people usually have an active part in the development of new cars and equipment from their respective manufacturer. They are also REQUIRED to be at the biggest races, as well as perform at a local level. Travel is paid for, entry fees paid for, free equipment, seat at the factory tent guaranteed, basically the whole enchelada.... But they've earned it through YEARS of consistently being the best. 99.9% of us in this hobby can only DREAM of being this good. These folks are the ones you see pictures of on the box your shiny new car came in!

Examples - Cavalieri, Maifield, Tebo, Truhe, Drake, Lutz, Masami, ... Etc. These are all guys who can show up anywhere and compete in the pro class and take home hardware. Your "Best of the Best".. "World Class" drivers.

Teir 2) Your 100% Sponsored guys. These folks get their gear (at least up to a certain dollar amount) free. These folks also are able to earn "contigency" money. Basically they are paid for a good performance. They do not draw a salaried pay check however... Most of these guys have normal 9-5 jobs just like the rest of the world. They are however usually extremely gifted at the controller... Capable of almost always placing in the A-Main no matter where they go, this guy might even have a good race day or get lucky once in awhile and get in the mix with the big dogs up in Tier 1. They also may recieve "prototype" gear. Stuff that is not ready to be released to the public. Usually they recieve this gear so the manufacturer can get extra feedback not povided by the Tier 1 guys involved in development. Some of this guys ideas may be used to improve the product however.

This is the guy at the track who is always more than willing to help you get that perfect setup in your car.. ESPECIALLY if you're running gear from his sponsor, but more than likely he'll help ya if you're running someone elses equipment. Remember though... He's trying to run a race too, so if he's on his way to the stand with a transmitter in his hand... Now may not be the time to bother him.

Teir 2.1) Employee - This is the guy who works for a manufacturer for a living. May have little to no skill (LOL... THIS IS A JOKE!) with a transmitter, but still generally a good guy. He isn't paid or rewarded to drive, but obviously he runs the gear of the company he works for, and puts their name on the sponsor sheet. Gets his equipment usually for free because he works there. Sometimes this guy can be your best friend!

Teir 3) Partial Sponsorship - Usually between 75 and 50% - Recieves his equipment direct from manufacturer for whatever percentage off. Again.. Usually up to a certain dollar amount. This level of sponsorship usually is just a break on your equipment, sometimes a posibility at contingency money, sometimes might get some hand me down prototype stuff. This is your up and coming guy. The guy who consistently cleans house at his home track, as well as puts on a decent performance on a regional level. You may also have a few guys in here who have "the gift of gab", while not a bad thing, it means they perform alright with a controller, but they serve a higher purpose to the companies they represent in that they are a good advocate. Sometimes this is that local go to guy when you need a part or setup advice.

While not as "Elite" as your 100% drivers or Pro guys... This is still something to be proud of.

This is the level (as well as next one.. "Teir 4") that 90% of your "Sponsored" guys fall into. This is also the level that nearly 100% of your "sponsored pricks" come from. Sometimes the little recognition that is given to this level of driver is enough to cause his head to expand to roughly the size of the moon.

Teir 4) The "I think I'm sponsored" guy. This guy is sponsored by companies who will accept anybody. All you have to do is ask. These companies do this for one reason, to improve the bottom line. Usually your new upstart companies. These companies sell direct so they don't have to loose money to the middle man. These drivers usually recieve their equipment for only a few dollars below what you could buy it at the LHS for... I've seen cases where it was MORE expensive.

This guys gets nothing but to say he's a "Team Driver". Also not a whole lot is expected of him. If you didn't actually have to sign a contract and mail it back... THIS is the level of sponsorship you have.

Your top level manufacturers don't really offer this level of sponsorship. This is usually once again, the new company trying to get it's feet in the door, or a smaller business trying to make a buck.

This is the level that DOES cause damage to the local hobby shop. This level also seems to have it's fair share of "Big Heads".

Not to start a war... But Caster was big about this for awhile... I haven't paid much attention lately though.

-----

I could go on for quite awhile longer to break this all down... but I doubt anybody will read this entire post anyway. If somebody wants me to finish it I will....

Again... This is just how I see it... I could have missed an important point or two.

I will say that I noticed some companies (including Kyosho) did clean house a bit last year and dropped a lot of people and tightened the guidelines on who gets accepted on the programs.

Feel free to finish.
ratjayfala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Actually you are grossly incorrect. It IS the top level companies that do EXACTLY offer this type of contract. AE, KYOSHO, PANTHER, and a few others do this and I know it because it makes it a nightmare for us to try to explain our 3 page contract and discount format. I love it when people say they can get a $1400 Kyosho for $700 and it is a killer deal, but then when I point out that it is for sale for $780 on Amain, they get dumbfounded.

Caster discounts a lower percentage and it goes off street price. Street price is directly determined by what AMain sells parts for in a comparison of brands. So out of the gate for our retail online customers, we are discounted already.

But yes, in 2008, it appeared that we would give out sponsorships to anyone because we couldn't really check into people's backgrounds. So we used to "sponsor" people we shouldn't have. However, we would always find out eventually and we got rid of several people over the years. Now in 2011, it is amazing what I can find out about anyone who submits a resume. Matter of fact, we actually are helping a few other companies under the radar with their sponsorship requests.

At the end of the day for us, sponsored drivers do not really make us any money, but they do showcase out products to the nation and as everyone who sees Caster, knows we have moved the product line from bad/ok to great in a short amount of time. For us, they sort of become the middleman because they buy product pretty much as if they were a dealer.

However, we feel team drivers are an asset to us and I know and respect all of mine and as far as I know, they all respect us.
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote