R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Anyone using OFNA HyperStar 1/8 Nitro Off-Road Buggy?

Hi Guys,

Sorry for asking so many questions. But I'm new to buggy and me being me would rather buy a kit and set it up on my own and hopefully able to learn more!

I have a few issues, one of them is:

I'm trying to get front and rear shock spare part for this buggy and they are selling this CNC version complete set "17mm Big Bore Front Shock Kit" and the rear one. But I'm confused because the stock shock is actually 20mm as per the manual. Is it ok?

Anyone know if the stock shock is in CNC too?

Also what other upgrades would you recommend for this baby? . I've already upgraded the engine mount to the new CNC one though.

I know I can check them but the problem is, my HyperStar is still somewhere around the world right now as waiting to be shipped.

Thanks in advanced
Old 12-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Ok,Im going to have to go off my poor memory here but if Im wrong on anything. Im sure others will correct me.

The shocks that come with the Star are the 17mm. But I think overseas they use a different number. I believe I was told that the shock size is measured at different spots which is why you get the different numbers but as to where they are measured,I couldnt tell you. But if this is a new in the box kit,then you will be getting the 17's.
Only upgrade you could and maybe should do is get the CNC caps for the shocks. Nitrohouse.com has a black shock body but I dont know the story behind those so I cant comment other then they might look better then the stock gray color.

As for other upgrades.. I never put many into my 9 because I didnt see the need so I doubt the Star is going to be different. If the front brace is not CNC,I would suggest getting one. The plastic does fine but after a few short landings,it will finally give out.
I also run the 20 deg engine mount on mine where stock I believe is 25.. The Star could be different.

It might be deep in the forum,but there should be a Hyper 9 or a Hyper Star thread here,I am not sure about the Star thread because I am not here often.
Also,check out Nitrohouse.com. They have a section for hop up parts for the car. Just go to kits> 1/8 nitro buggy> Hyper Star and there will be a tab for parts,hop ups,manual,exploded view. Everything you might need.
Mt Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Mt Drew
Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

When you talk about shocks, always use dimmeter of piston, 17mm in that case.
Example:
Old jammin bigbore are 13mm
"New" jammin BB are 16mm
Kyosho, Losi, Hb bigbore are 16mm
Old Hobao shocks was 14mm
Mugen Shocks are 15mm

I think CNC shock caps are "must have" upgrade for Hobao shocks, I never like it those plastic ends, so I always use Jammin BB
People also often change one piece rear wing for two piece version in Hyper buggy