Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone run ACME brand?, Bad experience!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ratjayfala
Forget all the cryptic comments mate. Basically it's a POS. Sorry dude but I wouldn't waste another cent on it personally. If you really want to get into the hobby you have to ask yourself what you think you'll be happy doing. i.e. bashing or racing or bit of both.

If you want to have a bash about and just have some fun in the park you might want to look at an electric RTR 1/10th stadium truck like the slash. There is a class to race these cars as well although depending on where you live it may or may not be a popular class. I've got the AE one and it's been pretty good fun. If you think you may want to have a race or two and 1/8th nitro appeals to you then maybe a losi RTR. Had a few of those down at our local track and they seem pretty good but you may need to upgrade the servos on this one in the future. If you’re sure you want to get out and race and think you'll be in the hobby for a while then save your bickies and maybe buy a kit\motor\radio gear etc etc etc however the $'s add up pretty quickly.

Big thing when buying any car is parts availability so make sure you can get spares. Every car will have its good and bad points as well but you can't go far wrong with "most" of the big brands although you really should have a read through the forums to get a feel for which cars may be more difficult to setup than others. Personally I run the MP9 and just love it. Best car I've ever driven but its also at the expensive end of the spectrum. Like someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for (sometimes:-)

Do your homework before you buy something mate otherwise you’ll end up burning several hundred more than you already have.

If I had that car of your's I'd be on the phone to the importer and put a rocket up em. If you bought it on-line from China or somewhere then your probably shit outa luck.
+1. Finally some sound advice for this fella. I am sorry you have had such a rocky introduction to nitro. Take the advice offered and try to buy a kit with a little better quality. Don't give up yet. HPI is a pretty respectable company.Their RTR kits and their race lines are very decent quality and pretty affordable also compared to some of the higher end vehicles. i wouldnt spen another dime on the car mentioned. If you need any more advice on which way to head, I am sure myself or someone else on here can help you out. Cheers!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The second worst mistake you can make is ditching your Acme for the HPi Firestorm. That's just another piece of crap. Save your money and get a good name brand buggy. The cheapest buggy that will hold up well is any of the Ofna brands. After that look to Hot Bodies
Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. As im new to nitro i dont really think racing is in my scope just yet. I live by a massive park with loads of offroad area to give a offroad nitro buggy a good thrashing. I would definatley prefer a nitro over electric. Im just stuffed now as ive burned 200 on a shit buggy its obs tightened my budget if i purchase a new 1. Ive looked at the hpi trophy buggy with waterproof electrics etc i can purchase for 239 GBP? Opinions?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Seriously save your money. My personal opinion is that you'll only end up frustrated with this car and out of the hobby anyway. I really think that your better to save up and go for one of the known brands. I have to say that I have never owned a hpi but also have never heard good things about them. Second hand info though so could be wrong. I've run mugen, Durango and kyosho. Durango was not my cup of tea. Mugen was tough as nails, I really gave it some punishment and was surprised at how strong it was. Kyosho just shits on anything else I've driven but at the end of the day it's all just personal opinion.

If I was looking for a new chassis I'd stear clear of hpi, Thunder tiger and ofna as there not strong enough for the track. Might be good for bashing though. Most others who I have seen get a basha have ended up wanting to go to the track in the end and have ended up a little disappointed their ride just doesn't cut it.

Also, be prepared for a fair bit of frustration if you get into nitro. It's a steep learning curve and can do ya head in if you don't have the patience of a saint. Having said that, it's a bucket load of fun when it all comes together.

Do your homework mate. Best advice I can give. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Lord

About 2 weeks ago I had a PM discussion with the Dutch ACME/Nitrotek distributor. He is a user on a Dutch forum and the only thing he does on that forum is writing (as a some kind of customer) how much he loves the ACME/Nitrotec/Shengqui stuff and how happy he is with the new model.

But he was not happy that I always was very negative about his products. Yes, every product has its price and most times the quality comes with that price. If a user wants an advise I always want to keep them away from those products, for sure an 1st RC car must have a good quality and support to be foulproof. Main thing is that the dutch forum has some topics about problems with those products and I accused him that he does not show any intention to provide service on the forums and keeps hiding behind a simple username and a webshop. The funny thing was that yesterday there was a new topic about a NB16 which did not start, again this distributor shows no sign.....
Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FTSC10
it never worked out well for the coyote.....Just sayin!

That made my day, Thank you.