Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
six hindred and fifty dollar spending limit. BUGGY or Truggy? please help. >

six hindred and fifty dollar spending limit. BUGGY or Truggy? please help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

six hindred and fifty dollar spending limit. BUGGY or Truggy? please help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default six hindred and fifty dollar spending limit. BUGGY or Truggy? please help.

I have been looking at the caster zx1.5r and k8t pro.

also hot bodies and tamiya has a trf801x buggy kit for 245 shipped so i am confused i want this to be a full on race machine not used at all for bashing. just practice and race time.

sorry losi fans and associated fans but i dont want any of the mainstream truggy buggy kit.

for me that would take the fun out of rc because i wouldnt hardly have to tinker with it lol.

up to 500 for the kit. and if i have to i will spennd the extra money on the motor and etc.

please help and drop your suggestions below. all caster drivers please respond even if you are electric runners.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

I don't care what anybody says, truggy tires cost a lot more. And there are more to choose from for buggy.

My take is, truggies look cooler, buggies drive cooler.

I'm not spending 100 bucks just on tires for a weekend of truggy racing...
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

$650 makes it tough if you are looking for a new kit. Try a good used kit, I have a Xray XT8 in great condition I'm selling. It's not a main stream kit, one of the most durable made, and handles like no other I've driven.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

if you only have that to spend then by far go with hotbodies. strong and fast, and parts are cheap to buy and good quality
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kawirider618
I have been looking at the caster zx1.5r and k8t pro.

also hot bodies and tamiya has a trf801x buggy kit for 245 shipped so i am confused i want this to be a full on race machine not used at all for bashing. just practice and race time.

sorry losi fans and associated fans but i dont want any of the mainstream truggy buggy kit.

for me that would take the fun out of rc because i wouldnt hardly have to tinker with it lol.

up to 500 for the kit. and if i have to i will spennd the extra money on the motor and etc.

please help and drop your suggestions below. all caster drivers please respond even if you are electric runners.
You will have to "tinker" with ANY chassis you get...... The problem with the ones you mentioned is the product support and parts availability. What about spares when you break and dont have that part. Its a reason why TLR and AE and Mugen and HB are so popular at the track. Its support. I run TLR and despite all the help I get from local pros, I still wrench my but off....
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For the past two seasons I have ran the 8ight 2.0 buggy and truggy. I just recently started running the caster racing K8T/ZX1.5R. I have had only one practice session with the K8T, so I have not really tested the durability of the kit yet. However, I can tell you that it is a very well put together kit with high quality parts.

Right out of the box, the pro kit has lightened out-drives, 2 piece center diff mount, aluminum chassis braces, and aluminum top plate. On the track, I was really impressed with the responsiveness and agility of the truck. It reacts very quickly to steering inputs, almost like a buggy does. Because it is so responsive, I have to relearn how to turn into corners. The suspension is nice a smooth and seems to work very well on the truck.

Everything on the K8T is tight. Coming from losi, I was used to many components having slop or a loose feel. This is a strong point for the losi, that is why it is so forgiving; and it can run on many different tracks with the same setup. The caster is not so forgiving, and setup will play a much bigger role on the truck. If it is not right, you will have a hard time on the track; however, if it is right you will have the potential to run very fast.

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with the kit, and I do believe I will be a much faster driver once I get everything dialed and adjust my driving style.

Here is a little clip of me running on the track for the first time. I know my track looks like Fred Sanford backyard, but it my track nonetheless

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Sein
For the past two seasons I have ran the 8ight 2.0 buggy and truggy. I just recently started running the caster racing K8T/ZX1.5R. I have had only one practice session with the K8T, so I have not really tested the durability of the kit yet. However, I can tell you that it is a very well put together kit with high quality parts.

Right out of the box, the pro kit has lightened out-drives, 2 piece center diff mount, aluminum chassis braces, and aluminum top plate. On the track, I was really impressed with the responsiveness and agility of the truck. It reacts very quickly to steering inputs, almost like a buggy does. Because it is so responsive, I have to relearn how to turn into corners. The suspension is nice a smooth and seems to work very well on the truck.

Everything on the K8T is tight. Coming from losi, I was used to many components having slop or a loose feel. This is a strong point for the losi, that is why it is so forgiving; and it can run on many different tracks with the same setup. The caster is not so forgiving, and setup will play a much bigger role on the truck. If it is not right, you will have a hard time on the track; however, if it is right you will have the potential to run very fast.

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with the kit, and I do believe I will be a much faster driver once I get everything dialed and adjust my driving style.

Here is a little clip of me running on the track for the first time. I know my track looks like Fred Sanford backyard, but it my track nonetheless

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Looks good Sein! seems to rotate well!!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by inferno13
Looks good Sein! seems to rotate well!!
Thanks bro! Yeah, I am trying to get used to how quick to reacts and rotates.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Sein
Thanks bro! Yeah, I am trying to get used to how quick to reacts and rotates.
my d8t has alot of turning also, instead of taking alittle out i just set the tension spring on the radio wheel a little tighter, seems stupid but really made a big differnce.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

That makes sense. I think of it as a first person shooter game's controller sensitivity, like Modern Warfare. Set it high and you will suck for a while but, once you get used to it, you can react much faster then anyone around you.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Hot bodies if dont want ae or losi would stay away from caster stuff just because when on budget is hard to run non main stream vehicle due to having to carry whole spare car for parts because u will be one of only 2 or 3 that have that brand at track i would go with hot bodies some one always has spares for that car if want to tinker with setup alot then go with ae 8.2 very sensitive to little changes and every body runs little diff. Setup
as for motor the orion disco at 150 from stormer is hard to beat servos buy used hitecs can get them for around 120 for both 7955 and if break hitec fixes for free good luck with whatever u pick but on budget need to run main stream or popular to area brand u.less u dont mind going home when uour cad breaks
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

okay. it seems as this is becoming a pretty intense suggestion thread. i just want to give a big thanks for the ons who have replied. i feel as if you guys are right. if i go caster i have to buy two cars instead of just one and if i go more mainstream it will be cheaper in the long run.

here is the thing i have a f8t from caster and its been fantastic given its a rtr though i am expecting something to go wrong with it soon have had it for three months

when i buy pro kits i like to have trust built in them like expecting nothing at all to go wrong the first hour of drive time.

with losi and ae yes you wont have these problems.

but with caster i dont know?

also parts availibility for me is near to none for any brand. i live in kentucky. so i have to travel a shit load for races which i am willing to do.

so as far ordering parts online i dont care mike mazza is a great guy and in past refrences he has great advice and is willing to lower prices.. tell me which losi and ae people are willing to do that. or even send you to a pro driver for advice.

Here is the catch tamiya is selling there full on race spec buggy and truggy for 245 shipped right now. i also have had there truggy. and trust me the japanese know what they are doing when it comes to setup.

they also take pride in there machining to.

so im still up in the air but am confused also. and as far as the buggy class and truggy class it is dyeing in my area but i strive to be the one to keep it alive.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Well i can tell you this i spld my kyosho to go ae for money reasons and have had great luck with pro support at the few races i have been to with the car if u ran tamiya in my area u would be fine also at big races cause there is few guys that run them professionaly out here
but once again like it or not on a budget it is nice to show up at race with just spare arms and know if break drive line or something like that u wont have to go home.
If run something no one has then will have to buy to whole cars to be alright
sounds lime u are like me the closest track to me besides one in my back yard is 1 hour away every big race i go to is igleast 2 hours away and i dont carry much for spares cause of money just arms and c hubs for front and i ahve never had to leave big race broken
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kawirider618

also parts availibility for me is near to none for any brand. i live in kentucky. so i have to travel a shit load for races which i am willing to do.

so as far ordering parts online i dont care mike mazza is a great guy and in past refrences he has great advice and is willing to lower prices.. tell me which losi and ae people are willing to do that. or even send you to a pro driver for advice.
As far as manipulating prices, Im not sure, but as far as support, I have NEVER been turned away for ANY TLR Driver Factory or Local Pros. They have always went above and beyond in helping, whether its parts or driving advice. I know a few AE driver that would do the same.

This is exactly what I meant about part support. Since you drive so long to get to a race, it will suck if you break something you dont have, and there is no one there that can help you.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

okay i understand you guys but what about hot bodies they seem like they have hell of a reputation for them being prettymuch destructionproof lol the arms look like some body just dremeld them out of a 6" by 6" block of plastc and hoped for the best. i dont see any cutouts is this for reinforcement or?any way if i go hot bodies which one buggy/truggy? it seems like the driveline is free. maybe add some lightend diff outdrives and stuff and im set

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.