R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Proper camber measurement

As you all know our buggy tires have a little slop so you can move the top point of the tire inward or outward. This slop change the camber at least 1 degree. On which position do you measure the camber ? after forcing the top of the tire inward our outward?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess inwards than, as you have to push a measure tool against the wheel and hold it there
and the buggy taking a curve pushes the wheel to the inside too
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I thought about this too, and found that my camber can vary anywhere +-2 deg when you take into account the slop. How I measure camber now is to roll the car forward a bit. This will "align" the slop to the position when the car is moving forward. Might want to do it couple times to get it right.

But that still doesn't solve the actual camber when taking a turn. When you take a turn, the side G will take up all the slop in the suspension and make the camber less on the outside tire. But if you adjust your car with 2deg at that state, you might end up with 4deg when sitting still...

meh, I just pass it up as thinking too much, and try to not let it bother me
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I take the car and push the end I am trying to measure till it bottoms out then I take the measurement with just the spring pre-load pushing it back up, however the most important thing is just make sure you do it the same way every time and adjust as needed from there. Also take into account of the rims being warped. Most are.
awdcameolsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Use a Hudy Setup Station! You can find them used for around $150.00 to $200.00 and they are worth it. No more worrying about warped wheels and your mesurments will be spot on.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Tech Master

or, dont spend money on even a setup station and just get yourself some 114mm diameter, 3mm steel disks cut like i did...actually got them for free as they did it for me using some offcuts after asking nicely. let them put a hole the size of your hub trough the middle so you can tighten them using your normal wheelnuts and there you have it...a setup wheel. works perfectly. for Toe settings, I use the same steel wheels, stick a piece of flat cardboard at the bottom, flush with the "ground", and then measure the angle against a normal cutting matt with a measuring grid on it...you can make that yourself as well using a nice piece of paper and a ruler. i cant justify buying a setup station when you only race on one or two tracks most of the times. Most kits have optimal camber/toe settings which you'll probably set once or twice then just leave it as is...and even then, i set them with my cheapo steel setup wheels, measure the linkage lengths with some calipers and record those for future reference.

Edit: obviously you'll have to get a camber gauge to use with your setup wheel to measure camber then but those are cheap too. got me one from some guys who race 1/5 th scale onroad (wheels are about the same size), so it's nice and big with large knobs for less than 12 buck in US currency.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Tech Master

those setup stations are cool and all, but it still won't get you around the slop issue. I think as long as you are in the ball park, it's ok. actually, many racers just "eye" the height and camber.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I've a setup station allready but it didn't solve the slop problem, actually the slop incrase on the setup station.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Tech Master

I hear that other racers just use the old "arms level to the ground" method, but your ride height will vary quite a bit depending on the tires you use, how worn they are, how much camber you run, etc. Your ride height will affect your camber measurement too. I set my ride height first, and then adjust camber.
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use these to take out the slop, comes with various sizes.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mm-Shim-Set-10

I put the shims between the hex, and hub bearing. Make sure everything rolls smoothly when your done. I went over board one time and removed all the slop, and found when I tightened down the grub screw in the hex that things bound.

Instead of special metal disks I use CD's
Redxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777

the way i do it is get the messurment from both angles and set things up for the middle. (ie...2 deg. with wheel pushed out and 4 deg. pushed in, so set it for 3 deg. and go from there...)
Old 11-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Imho we overthink this sometimes. For offroad ball park numbers are all we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
I thought about this too, and found that my camber can vary anywhere +-2 deg when you take into account the slop. How I measure camber now is to roll the car forward a bit. This will "align" the slop to the position when the car is moving forward. Might want to do it couple times to get it right.

But that still doesn't solve the actual camber when taking a turn. When you take a turn, the side G will take up all the slop in the suspension and make the camber less on the outside tire. But if you adjust your car with 2deg at that state, you might end up with 4deg when sitting still...

meh, I just pass it up as thinking too much, and try to not let it bother me
oggietiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Slop is good IMHO
I call it the auto camber LOL when the car needs 2 degrees, the slop will give it to you, when the car needs 4 degrees, the slop will surely give it to you slop is your frind, dont let it go away!!
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Adjustments are important but were driving on dirt uneven surfaces on road is a different story . I use a hudy setup once I put my kicks on and measure with a standard camber tool its off makes me think what's right therefore I just run.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To eliminate the variable of slop, I measure the camber link length from the inner part of the plastic rod ends with digital calipers to make sure they are the same length on both sides. Just make sure you don't have any warped or bent parts when doing this. There's a picture along with more info Here ... it's in the middle of the page under Camber.

You can also take a new set of unmounted wheels to measure camber, but you will have to go to normal ride height to get an accurate measurement. I have access to a Hudy setup station, but I feel the Hudy is a few degrees off, and is unnecessary for off road.

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote