R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #46
Tech Master
 
pitpop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,445
Default

Tamiya Rough Rider started it all for me. I still have one..
__________________
Cody King's Wrench (and dad :))| Team Kyosho International | Reds Racing Engines | Pro-Line Tires
KO Propo | Byron Fuels | AbsoluteHobbyz.com | Stickit1 Racing | kustomrcgraphics.com
LiveRC.com | OCRC Raceway | codykingrc.com | ROAR Sanctioning Director
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #47
Tech Master
 
dnebout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I remember my old electric Grasshopper. I traded a car stereo for it. I used to wet down the street with water and just float over the asphalt. Hit the curb a few times and burned out a motor and finally put it away.
A couple of years later, when I went to school in Arizona I had my folks send it to me, It showed up the way i had left it...broken A arm with a pretty new motor. Couldn't find an A-arm at the time, so I had a friend's brother make one in his machine shop. We screwed around with that thing for a couple of weeks until something else finally broke. My friend was so into that thing that when I graduated, I left Arizona and gave it to him. Here i am 20 years later, just getting back into it.
__________________
Losi 8T 2.0, Werks B5 Pro, Savox 1267 / Hitec 7950
Losi Eight 2.0, Nova 4c, Hitec 7940 / Hitec 7955
Losi Eight E 2.0, RX8, Tekin 1900kv / Hitec 7955
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #48
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 237
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I remember being 14 and having no hope of affording a Grasshopper so I saved for like a year and got a Jet Hopper Turbo. Some cheapo copy with much less power

Many aussies would remember that one?
Mark _australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #49
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

remember when everyone pretty much had no choice n ran a Nova Rossi based engine, and OS was laughed at like some of the newer cheaper engine companies of today? remember the v-spec before the v-spec? I used to run these! (RZ V01b) see link

https://www.google.com/search?q=1386...w=1680&bih=801
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #50
Tech Addict
 
novice racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nortonville Ky
Posts: 503
Default

Anyone remember the O.S. VG? P.O.S. My uncle bought one and it lasted about a gallon...
__________________
Brandon Shaw
novice racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #51
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice racer View Post
Anyone remember the O.S. VG? P.O.S. My uncle bought one and it lasted about a gallon...
i think they still make it! lol
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #52
Tech Master
 
Torian4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

This car started it all for me back in 1987!

It's a Kyosho Raider. It looked exactly like this... I remember me and my dad (R.I.P) going to Ascot on Saturday mornings back when I lived in Gardena, CA. I miss the good old days sometimes.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
Tech Regular
 
melonpeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 379
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
I remember my old electric Grasshopper. I traded a car stereo for it. I used to wet down the street with water and just float over the asphalt. Hit the curb a few times and burned out a motor and finally put it away.
A couple of years later, when I went to school in Arizona I had my folks send it to me, It showed up the way i had left it...broken A arm with a pretty new motor. Couldn't find an A-arm at the time, so I had a friend's brother make one in his machine shop. We screwed around with that thing for a couple of weeks until something else finally broke. My friend was so into that thing that when I graduated, I left Arizona and gave it to him. Here i am 20 years later, just getting back into it.
That's almost the exact same story I have.
__________________
Tekno 8B, Losi 8T
melonpeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #54
Tech Master
 
dnebout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,098
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpeel View Post
That's almost the exact same story I have.
did you live in Pheonix in the 80s? lol
__________________
Losi 8T 2.0, Werks B5 Pro, Savox 1267 / Hitec 7950
Losi Eight 2.0, Nova 4c, Hitec 7940 / Hitec 7955
Losi Eight E 2.0, RX8, Tekin 1900kv / Hitec 7955
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #55
Tech Master
 
AZRC4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 1,147
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

My first rc car was the Grasshopper. My grandpa had one in his garage and that was the only reason I looked forward to visiting him, since he didn't have cable tv lol! He also had the old school Futaba box transmitter, that left a lot to be desired in terms of ergonomics . Then, an indoor clay track opened up in my hometown, called Zero-N-4 Hobbies, and was one of the nicer facilities at the time, with permanent pit tables, air conditioning, and a permanent timing loop which was rare (circa 1990). My Dad took me by there one Saturday, and they were having a grand opening race, raffling off some stuff with the grand prize being an RC10 kit. I remember he bought a couple tickets, and I was all bummed out that we didn't win anything, then they read the winning number for the RC10, and I didn't even look at the tickets, then my Dad goes "you won!" and I remember walking up to the driver's stand with a huge grin on my face and everyone was clapping. I was 7 at the time. Well, in about a year, we were deep into it, running buggy and truck, stock and modified. Those were such great times at the track - we ran every Sunday for a number of years. My Dad taught me a lot about racing, and he did all the wrenching (I screwed around in between races, played Gameboy, etc lol!). I even managed to win a NORRCA race in the Novice buggy class as an 8 year old (a lot of older guys were pissed haha). The track closed in a few years, but those were such good times at the track. I got out of this hobby for about 20 years, went to school, got a degree, then last year got the bug again. Now my Dad pits for me, and I do all the wrenching, but we still have just as much fun at the track. Here's a few pics of me then and now. Gotta love that "custom" RC10 body (painted by me), the 3 piece wheels on the JR-XT, the X-Pattern/Staggered tires (super dialed!) and of course the fluorescent gear complete with a Days of Thunder t-shirt!! Oh man, how time flies...
Attached Thumbnails
Remember when?-sean-old-rc-pic.jpg   Remember when?-sean-old-rc-pic-2.jpg   Remember when?-100_2121.jpg  
__________________
Sean Gaffney
...where some sponsors used to be...
AZRC4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #56
Tech Master
 
Torian4000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,119
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
My first rc car was the Grasshopper. My grandpa had one in his garage and that was the only reason I looked forward to visiting him, since he didn't have cable tv lol! He also had the old school Futaba box transmitter, that left a lot to be desired in terms of ergonomics . Then, an indoor clay track opened up in my hometown, called Zero-N-4 Hobbies, and was one of the nicer facilities at the time, with permanent pit tables, air conditioning, and a permanent timing loop which was rare (circa 1990). My Dad took me by there one Saturday, and they were having a grand opening race, raffling off some stuff with the grand prize being an RC10 kit. I remember he bought a couple tickets, and I was all bummed out that we didn't win anything, then they read the winning number for the RC10, and I didn't even look at the tickets, then my Dad goes "you won!" and I remember walking up to the driver's stand with a huge grin on my face and everyone was clapping. I was 7 at the time. Well, in about a year, we were deep into it, running buggy and truck, stock and modified. Those were such great times at the track - we ran every Sunday for a number of years. My Dad taught me a lot about racing, and he did all the wrenching (I screwed around in between races, played Gameboy, etc lol!). I even managed to win a NORRCA race in the Novice buggy class as an 8 year old (a lot of older guys were pissed haha). The track closed in a few years, but those were such good times at the track. I got out of this hobby for about 20 years, went to school, got a degree, then last year got the bug again. Now my Dad pits for me, and I do all the wrenching, but we still have just as much fun at the track. Here's a few pics of me then and now. Gotta love that "custom" RC10 body (painted by me), the 3 piece wheels on the JR-XT, the X-Pattern/Staggered tires (super dialed!) and of course the fluorescent gear complete with a Days of Thunder t-shirt!! Oh man, how time flies...
Awesome story!
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark _australia View Post
I remember being 14 and having no hope of affording a Grasshopper so I saved for like a year and got a Jet Hopper Turbo. Some cheapo copy with much less power

Many aussies would remember that one?
yes i had one about 25 26 years ago it had two speeds my mates had grasshoppers then my dad got me a monster beetle cool
the daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #58
Tech Master
 
hustler777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: indawoods, WI
Posts: 1,109
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
remember when everyone pretty much had no choice n ran a Nova Rossi based engine, and OS was laughed at like some of the newer cheaper engine companies of today? remember the v-spec before the v-spec? I used to run these! (RZ V01b) see link

https://www.google.com/search?q=1386...w=1680&bih=801

i've got a v01b that needs rebuilt as a matter of fact lol
__________________
Sometimes you gotta go back to come back...
hustler777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic
 
coneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Qld, Australia
Posts: 797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice racer View Post
Anyone remember the O.S. VG? P.O.S. My uncle bought one and it lasted about a gallon...
i'm using one in my rc8.18. got 2 gallons on it and still going strong.

very torquey motor.
__________________
Kyosho MP9 TKI4 / OS Speed Spec II / OS 2090 / Protek / AKA / Futaba 4PL / VP 25%
RC10GT2 FT / OS 15CV / XP Hitec / ProLine / Futaba 4PL / Sidewinder 16%
Sponsor - Visa Platinum
coneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #60
Tech Addict
 
novice racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nortonville Ky
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneman View Post
i'm using one in my rc8.18. got 2 gallons on it and still going strong.

very torquey motor.
The .21?
__________________
Brandon Shaw
novice racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REMEMBER YOUR FIRST RC CAR? WHAT WAS IT?AND HOW OLD YOU WAS? MX13 RC Chat Lounge 95 05-14-2012 07:13 PM
Remembering When......... Factory Seal MSRA (Memphis, TN) 24 04-08-2011 12:47 PM
When will there be an 1/8th scale 4 stroke Motor???? Dr. Evil Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 161 11-04-2010 02:50 PM
when nascar season is over never lift Chat Lounge 71 11-26-2005 09:10 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net