R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #46
Tech Master

Tamiya Rough Rider started it all for me. I still have one..
pitpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I remember my old electric Grasshopper. I traded a car stereo for it. I used to wet down the street with water and just float over the asphalt. Hit the curb a few times and burned out a motor and finally put it away.
A couple of years later, when I went to school in Arizona I had my folks send it to me, It showed up the way i had left it...broken A arm with a pretty new motor. Couldn't find an A-arm at the time, so I had a friend's brother make one in his machine shop. We screwed around with that thing for a couple of weeks until something else finally broke. My friend was so into that thing that when I graduated, I left Arizona and gave it to him. Here i am 20 years later, just getting back into it.
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I remember being 14 and having no hope of affording a Grasshopper so I saved for like a year and got a Jet Hopper Turbo. Some cheapo copy with much less power

Many aussies would remember that one?
Mark _australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

remember when everyone pretty much had no choice n ran a Nova Rossi based engine, and OS was laughed at like some of the newer cheaper engine companies of today? remember the v-spec before the v-spec? I used to run these! (RZ V01b) see link

https://www.google.com/search?q=1386...w=1680&bih=801
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #50
Tech Addict

Anyone remember the O.S. VG? P.O.S. My uncle bought one and it lasted about a gallon...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #51
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice racer View Post
Anyone remember the O.S. VG? P.O.S. My uncle bought one and it lasted about a gallon...
i think they still make it! lol
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

This car started it all for me back in 1987!

It's a Kyosho Raider. It looked exactly like this... I remember me and my dad (R.I.P) going to Ascot on Saturday mornings back when I lived in Gardena, CA. I miss the good old days sometimes.
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnebout View Post
I remember my old electric Grasshopper. I traded a car stereo for it. I used to wet down the street with water and just float over the asphalt. Hit the curb a few times and burned out a motor and finally put it away.
A couple of years later, when I went to school in Arizona I had my folks send it to me, It showed up the way i had left it...broken A arm with a pretty new motor. Couldn't find an A-arm at the time, so I had a friend's brother make one in his machine shop. We screwed around with that thing for a couple of weeks until something else finally broke. My friend was so into that thing that when I graduated, I left Arizona and gave it to him. Here i am 20 years later, just getting back into it.
That's almost the exact same story I have.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonpeel View Post
That's almost the exact same story I have.
did you live in Pheonix in the 80s? lol
Blackjack 26
Aka: Deebo, Poppa Pump / Busted Knuckle Wheelin' / Henchmen Racing
dnebout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My first rc car was the Grasshopper. My grandpa had one in his garage and that was the only reason I looked forward to visiting him, since he didn't have cable tv lol! He also had the old school Futaba box transmitter, that left a lot to be desired in terms of ergonomics . Then, an indoor clay track opened up in my hometown, called Zero-N-4 Hobbies, and was one of the nicer facilities at the time, with permanent pit tables, air conditioning, and a permanent timing loop which was rare (circa 1990). My Dad took me by there one Saturday, and they were having a grand opening race, raffling off some stuff with the grand prize being an RC10 kit. I remember he bought a couple tickets, and I was all bummed out that we didn't win anything, then they read the winning number for the RC10, and I didn't even look at the tickets, then my Dad goes "you won!" and I remember walking up to the driver's stand with a huge grin on my face and everyone was clapping. I was 7 at the time. Well, in about a year, we were deep into it, running buggy and truck, stock and modified. Those were such great times at the track - we ran every Sunday for a number of years. My Dad taught me a lot about racing, and he did all the wrenching (I screwed around in between races, played Gameboy, etc lol!). I even managed to win a NORRCA race in the Novice buggy class as an 8 year old (a lot of older guys were pissed haha). The track closed in a few years, but those were such good times at the track. I got out of this hobby for about 20 years, went to school, got a degree, then last year got the bug again. Now my Dad pits for me, and I do all the wrenching, but we still have just as much fun at the track. Here's a few pics of me then and now. Gotta love that "custom" RC10 body (painted by me), the 3 piece wheels on the JR-XT, the X-Pattern/Staggered tires (super dialed!) and of course the fluorescent gear complete with a Days of Thunder t-shirt!! Oh man, how time flies...
Attached Thumbnails
Remember when?-sean-old-rc-pic.jpg   Remember when?-sean-old-rc-pic-2.jpg   Remember when?-100_2121.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
My first rc car was the Grasshopper. My grandpa had one in his garage and that was the only reason I looked forward to visiting him, since he didn't have cable tv lol! He also had the old school Futaba box transmitter, that left a lot to be desired in terms of ergonomics . Then, an indoor clay track opened up in my hometown, called Zero-N-4 Hobbies, and was one of the nicer facilities at the time, with permanent pit tables, air conditioning, and a permanent timing loop which was rare (circa 1990). My Dad took me by there one Saturday, and they were having a grand opening race, raffling off some stuff with the grand prize being an RC10 kit. I remember he bought a couple tickets, and I was all bummed out that we didn't win anything, then they read the winning number for the RC10, and I didn't even look at the tickets, then my Dad goes "you won!" and I remember walking up to the driver's stand with a huge grin on my face and everyone was clapping. I was 7 at the time. Well, in about a year, we were deep into it, running buggy and truck, stock and modified. Those were such great times at the track - we ran every Sunday for a number of years. My Dad taught me a lot about racing, and he did all the wrenching (I screwed around in between races, played Gameboy, etc lol!). I even managed to win a NORRCA race in the Novice buggy class as an 8 year old (a lot of older guys were pissed haha). The track closed in a few years, but those were such good times at the track. I got out of this hobby for about 20 years, went to school, got a degree, then last year got the bug again. Now my Dad pits for me, and I do all the wrenching, but we still have just as much fun at the track. Here's a few pics of me then and now. Gotta love that "custom" RC10 body (painted by me), the 3 piece wheels on the JR-XT, the X-Pattern/Staggered tires (super dialed!) and of course the fluorescent gear complete with a Days of Thunder t-shirt!! Oh man, how time flies...
Awesome story!
Torian4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #57
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark _australia View Post
I remember being 14 and having no hope of affording a Grasshopper so I saved for like a year and got a Jet Hopper Turbo. Some cheapo copy with much less power

Many aussies would remember that one?
yes i had one about 25 26 years ago it had two speeds my mates had grasshoppers then my dad got me a monster beetle cool
the daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
remember when everyone pretty much had no choice n ran a Nova Rossi based engine, and OS was laughed at like some of the newer cheaper engine companies of today? remember the v-spec before the v-spec? I used to run these! (RZ V01b) see link

https://www.google.com/search?q=1386...w=1680&bih=801

i've got a v01b that needs rebuilt as a matter of fact lol
Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice racer View Post
i'm using one in my rc8.18. got 2 gallons on it and still going strong.

very torquey motor.
coneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneman View Post
i'm using one in my rc8.18. got 2 gallons on it and still going strong.

very torquey motor.
The .21?