R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)
Default Serpent S811 Cobra-T or the Mugen MBX6T M-Spec

hey guys i am oh most at end of the season of raceing and i am switching brand what i was thinking what would be good for a low grip dirt track i came down to two truggys Serpent S811 Cobra-T or the Mugen MBX6T M-Spec
could yours give me the pros and cons on both theses truggy to see what suit the low grip dirt track thanks
zenbonzakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbonzakura View Post
hey guys i am oh most at end of the season of raceing and i am switching brand what i was thinking what would be good for a low grip dirt track i came down to two truggys Serpent S811 Cobra-T or the Mugen MBX6T M-Spec
could yours give me the pros and cons on both theses truggy to see what suit the low grip dirt track thanks
Any truggy on the market can be setup for any track condition. I wouldn't buy a truggy based off of your track conditions. For me I've tried them all and I keep coming back to the losi b and t 2.0's.

Once again this is just "my" opinion. With a question like this you will get a thousand different answers.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
Any truggy on the market can be setup for any track condition. I wouldn't buy a truggy based off of your track conditions. For me I've tried them all and I keep coming back to the losi b and t 2.0's.

Once again this is just "my" opinion. With a question like this you will get a thousand different answers.
I agree with MattP, there is no best truggy for a certain track condition. However, each truggy does hove it's own positives and negitives. You should buy the truggy you really want because it you listen to someone else you will be pissed in the long run and everytime something goes wrong you will say MAN I should have gotten the truggy I really wanted....
offroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Both trucks are very capable I have had both. The serpent is definately more durable. If you go with the Mugen buy some lower arms front and rear. I like my serpent. Highs and lows are very similar. Great handelig, tuning options, online support. Personally I drive what I want to and I like my serpents
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (64%+)

thanks guys i am just trying out different truggys i had a rc8t ce i had a losi i had a mbxt5 then i had a mugen mbx6t m spec jst trying somethink handle well and durable too
zenbonzakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Both are awesome trucks and equally capable, I have owned them both. As some have said its best to just buy what you want and learn the truck.Tons of practice to learn the vehicle will make you a better driver, a good set up that you put time in to perfect yourself will make you pleased with the vehicle( and less likely to get frustrated or wonder if x kit will make miracles happen). Now my opinion and mine alone being that I have owned both...I feel that The Mugen was a little more planted and handled the rough stuff just slightly better. This is probably due to the fact the Mugen is slightly heavier. I feel that the Serpent accelerates quicker and corners better though, which to me creates a slight advantage for my style of driving. They both jump excellent which most truggies do, but the Mugen jumps great and tends to land nice and plush no matter what. The Serpent's front end however likes to pop back up on landings no matter what I do to the suspension to cure it( my xray 808 tended to do this also). Parts quality of both are great although many complain about the front arms of the mugen. I broke 2 in a entire season, and one crash no kit would have survived, clipped a 2x4 on pit lane full bore. I love the mugen, although I run a serpent, and I'm very happy with it, wouldn't trade it at all. My best friend drives a mugen and I enjoy wheeling his rig every time we hit the track for practice, but I feel I'm slightly faster with the Serpent. just my .2.
Boca Bearings-VP Pro USA
trimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AssocRacer Send a message via Yahoo to AssocRacer

Go to your LHS and see which one they stock the most parts for. I think you're going to find that most hobby shops DON'T stock parts for the Serpent and DO stock parts for the Mugen. Both truggies are awesome truggies. I'm thinking of trying the Serpent buggy myself, but haven't totally decided yet. I've always looked at parts availability as a major deciding factor when I look at changing buggies.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Tech Adept

same story same answers lol ... which ever truck suits you most, losi pure durability, mugen handling and steering, from what i hear serpent has best of both worlds except there is no parts support other than online. I was going to change brands from mugen to serpent talked with a few guys here and even emailed serpentamerica and cant get a response to save my life so i said screw them ill keep my mugen and if i need parts my lhs has them or i can call up mugen and get them direct within a few days. By the way you will never find suspension like the mugen !
stuntryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntryda View Post
same story same answers lol ... which ever truck suits you most, losi pure durability, mugen handling and steering, from what i hear serpent has best of both worlds except there is no parts support other than online. I was going to change brands from mugen to serpent talked with a few guys here and even emailed serpentamerica and cant get a response to save my life so i said screw them ill keep my mugen and if i need parts my lhs has them or i can call up mugen and get them direct within a few days. By the way you will never find suspension like the mugen !
I drove a 6t for awhile and I know what you mean about the suspension. Better stock up on lower arms
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Tech Adept

nope not me i had 10 sets made from delrin and havent broke one yet! eat that serpent oh whats that your getting lapped again sry i out steer you in corners, out jump you, my clutchbell wont roach in the first gallon, and blow shock o rings off that triple LOL
stuntryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rsickles

MBX6T/M-Spec has its own quirks, but is a blast to drive. First race I ever ran one I broke an arm (welcome to Mugen ). Rest of the truck is pretty solid. The immediate pro is when you buy this kit, you don't have to slap $200 in upgrades on. You can pretty much run it as the kit comes and be very competitive. The PBS isn't for everyone, so I would recommend trying one and seeing how you like the steering and feel of caster changing 10 degrees throughout suspension travel.

811 is near bulletproof... tool steel, good design, etc. It's probably the closest you can get to the feel of buggy on truggy platform, IMO. Certainly parts are harder to come by, not to mention much more expensive, and if you were one of the ones that got ripped off by Serpent USA, there's probably a bitter taste in your mouth.
Rsickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I drove a 6t for awhile and I know what you mean about the suspension. Better stock up on lower arms
ive been debating on the serpent or mugen,went with mugen mainly because of parts avalibility.first time out with it,mugen challenge in ohio,run all weekend started 10th in a main finished 4th in the 45 min race,never had an issue.actually run a few tanks threw my jammin x2 ive run 4 2yrs.mugen was much faster and the steering is off the charts.
triggered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Opening day of our winter series and it's not even cold yet. While marshaling I personally picked up 3 6t's with busted rear arms and I witnessed 2 others. I railed my 811t hard and managed to bend a front steering link with over 10 mins left in the main which added some toe out on the left but I still finished. None of the 6t's took hard hits to cause these broken parts. Just what happened yesterday...
Old 12-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Opening day of our winter series and it's not even cold yet. While marshaling I personally picked up 3 6t's with busted rear arms and I witnessed 2 others. I railed my 811t hard and managed to bend a front steering link with over 10 mins left in the main which added some toe out on the left but I still finished. None of the 6t's took hard hits to cause these broken parts. Just what happened yesterday...
Hey now.... I broke but it was my fault.... I was overdriving and landed on that concrete euro corner perfect in the sweet spot.... Even tho I missed that qual I still TQ'd the intermediate class and wheeled to a 2nd place finish with a flame out in the main.... I love my 6T.... The snake no doubt in my mind is tougher..... But the mugen has been good to me so I'm staying with the mbx6t and with the new bce x chassis it drives and corners like Buggati with NoS lol
2012 DRC Winter Series Inter. Truggy Champ*
Daryl Wright aka "thefastblackman"
Teccmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccmoney View Post
with the new bce x chassis it drives and corners like Buggati with NoS lol
Me and my best bud always joke around before every race about which truck is better (he pilots a MBX6T), he always says by the end of the day I'll have a new belt and snakeskin boots, even though I always end up milking that cow all race long lol..., but I know now why. If the Mugen drives and corners like a Buggati with NoS thats his problem, everyone knows the Buggati is all straight line, and doesn't handle worth a d@mn... All seriousness, I don't believe anyone could go wrong with any of these two trucks. I absolutely loved piloting my
Mugen when I had one and still would be if i could've got my hands on one at the time I bought my Serpent. Now thought I love the Serpent would be hard to choose between the to if I had to.
Boca Bearings-VP Pro USA
trimble is offline   Reply With Quote