R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New kit buggy

Ok so I've had fun with the rtr but now I am wanting to build my own little weapon and am thinking about buying the LRP S8 BXR evo and just wondering what you guys think and if it's worth it I know the LRP S8 bx team edition car was pretty good but yeah any input you guys have will be great
Thanks Lucas
Kzlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzlucas View Post
Ok so I've had fun with the rtr but now I am wanting to build my own little weapon and am thinking about buying the LRP S8 BXR evo and just wondering what you guys think and if it's worth it I know the LRP S8 bx team edition car was pretty good but yeah any input you guys have will be great
Thanks Lucas
The LRP had a number of interesting features such as tilt engine, automotive type disk brakes, active caster and etc. But I don't think it caught on in the U.S. So if you're in the U.S. I'd say no (parts would be a problem), otherwise it's a maybe. BTW, it was sold as a Z-Car stateside.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Yes, its know as the Z-car state side. I always thought it was interesting as well. I've actually never got to see one in person. In our region everyone drives a Losi or a mugen.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Get a Mugen!
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Yeah I live in australia so parts arnt a problem but yeah I'm just looking around as I want to build a pro race buggy and that caught my eye but I will look into the mugen if someone has a link that I could check out that would be great
Kzlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

You could get a Mugen since they are winning so many pro-races these days

Just go with parts support in your area. Being different is nice and trying different products is even better but I've been down that road before with the Hyper. Parts support means everything to me now. Makes life much easier.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Alderman View Post
Yes, its know as the Z-car state side. I always thought it was interesting as well. I've actually never got to see one in person. In our region everyone drives a Losi or a mugen.
from driving a snake to a dingo...thinking you will be driving a losi again
Old 11-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain crash View Post
from driving a snake to a dingo...thinking you will be driving a losi again
I've not been real impressed with anything that I've seen from these newer companies that have jumped into off-road racing. By far, the Agama seems to be leading the newbies as of now.
When it comes down to the basics, the normal run of the mill buggies are still hard to beat. Still would have loved to seen the new ODO SG that was coming until it all ended.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Get a Mugen!
+1

Team Mugen Seiki MBX6R, Ninja, AKA
Futaba, Hitec, Trailerpark Paint, KBRL #238
Roy Esckelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to kaptain crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I've not been real impressed with anything that I've seen from these newer companies that have jumped into off-road racing. By far, the Agama seems to be leading the newbies as of now.
When it comes down to the basics, the normal run of the mill buggies are still hard to beat. Still would have loved to seen the new ODO SG that was coming until it all ended.
nahhhh same here...Steve and Barry almost had it....before the plug was pulled. Still keeping the SG...the team, will be giving that to a 10 year old neighbor boy this christmas, his x-parents are crackheads and in jail grandparents took over rights...just need a starter box yet and he should have a great christmas!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post

Did you ever have the pleasure or should i say Displeasure of driving a previous Gen OD car ?

I sure did and Holy moly was it Lazy Daisy, had to Fight with it to even remotely get around the track with any type of speed.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzlucas View Post
Yeah I live in australia so parts arnt a problem but yeah I'm just looking around as I want to build a pro race buggy and that caught my eye but I will look into the mugen if someone has a link that I could check out that would be great
If parts aren't a problem in your area, Go with the LRP. They are not a "New Company that jumped into Offroad" as someone said here. Z-Car has been making the LRP for a few years now. There are some racers here in Canada with the Z-Car winning races against the LOSI's and Mugens. The guys with Mugens are mad at the Z-Cars because the Mugen guys paid $800-$1000 for their kits and they were beaten by a $400 kit. I guess that would make me mad too, but I would choose my kit a little more wisely next time. The price tag doesn't always tell how good a kit is.
Yes I sell Z-Cars here in Canada. I know someone is going to say "You only say that because you sell them". The truth is, I have had a few different kits. I had my first Z-Car Truggy before I decided to sell them. I really liked the Z-car and I bashed that truggy, and broke very few parts. I don't only like Z-car because I sell them, I sell them because I like them. Parts are not a problem in US or Canada.
www.terranovahobby.ca
TERRA NOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRA NOVA View Post
If parts aren't a problem in your area, Go with the LRP. They are not a "New Company that jumped into Offroad" as someone said here. Z-Car has been making the LRP for a few years now. There are some racers here in Canada with the Z-Car winning races against the LOSI's and Mugens. The guys with Mugens are mad at the Z-Cars because the Mugen guys paid $800-$1000 for their kits and they were beaten by a $400 kit. I guess that would make me mad too, but I would choose my kit a little more wisely next time. The price tag doesn't always tell how good a kit is.
Yes I sell Z-Cars here in Canada. I know someone is going to say "You only say that because you sell them". The truth is, I have had a few different kits. I had my first Z-Car Truggy before I decided to sell them. I really liked the Z-car and I bashed that truggy, and broke very few parts. I don't only like Z-car because I sell them, I sell them because I like them. Parts are not a problem in US or Canada.
Never ever seen a Mugen priced that high, around $500 is avg.
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

NO kits build like an Xray. They are a pure joy to assemble, and if it's your first kit, you don't want to be hand fitting parts, dealing with missing fasteners, etc. Mugen would me my next recommendation. That said, I just build a Rc8.2, and it is really nice as well. I don't have any experience with the others (LRP, Agama, etc), but I know what works. Whatever you choose, take your time building and I'm sure you'll like the results.

Cheers!
Two-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
Never ever seen a Mugen priced that high, around $500 is avg.
I stand corrected, I didn't realize Mugens were that cheap. I acquired some new racers this season who sold their used Mugens for enough to buy new Z-Cars. I guess the buyers were the suckers in that deal.
www.terranovahobby.ca
TERRA NOVA is offline   Reply With Quote