R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ***Qualifying Questions***

I've attended a race that used "Rocket Rounds" to qualify - we had 3 qualifiers and after every round the racing / drivers order was changed.

Changed - I mean the fastest racers bumped up so they where matched with the other fastest drivers.

I'm not use to this type of racing... So, what happen to me in the first qualifier I was knocked out / off the track by another "Sportsman" racer, and thought no biggie I'll make it up in the next round as in "Qualifier Points" you can come back from a bad run. But, in Rocket Rounds the next or second qualifier if you have some trouble or knocked around - your second qualifier is with the slower or more rowdy pack.. while the racers that broke out - now are pulling that much further out of reach as they are racing with the less rowdy pack.

I placed 3rd in the B main and had the second to fastest lap time. Then on the start in the first turn was spun around from behind - the turn marshal kicked my buggy under a pipe and then waited till the entire field went bye to get my buggy out from under the pipe and at that point I had no chance of bumping to the A..

My real question is "How are rocket rounds run" in the sense of what prevents someone from breaking out and making the A main - vs - being consistent and advancing with over all laps and time (Enduring track changes and conditions)??? And, what prevents a racer (Pro or Sandbager) to come in and run one fast qualifier and take an A main position from the rest of the racers that run all the qualifiers???
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offr0aden View Post
I've attended a race that used "Rocket Rounds" to qualify - we had 3 qualifiers and after every round the racing / drivers order was changed.
My real question is "How are rocket rounds run" in the sense of what prevents someone from breaking out and making the A main - vs - being consistent and advancing with over all laps and time (Enduring track changes and conditions)??? And, what prevents a racer (Pro or Sandbager) to come in and run one fast qualifier and take an A main position from the rest of the racers that run all the qualifiers???
The short answer is nothing. With rocket rounds the fastest overall qualifier gets TQ, the second fastest starts from the 2nd position and so forth. Most club races i have raced use rocket rounds and the bigger races have used qual. points. Usually my son and i qualify pretty well either way. We try to be fast AND consistent.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've had issues with qual points too lol, at a big race my first run put me straight in the a main but 2 bad runs set me up for some d main fun it really sucked but just taught how much more prepared I needed to be for each heat race.
Team Associated RC8T-CE
chaserogers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

There are typically re-sorts with qual points as well. If you break in one of the first 2 rounds, you will probably have a tough time with the re-sort. It really isn't that different with rocket rounds.

I don't think you can really point fingers at qualifying systems. Typically, you won't see a consistent c-main driver in the rocket round format jump up to the a-main under a qual points system. It just doesn't work that way. Consistency pays off in the long run under either qual system.