Wiki Posts
Search

rtr buggy help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default rtr buggy help

hey guys im new here and had few questions. i have been into rc a couple years now and would lik to start racing here and there. i was wondering what the best rtr buggy kit is out there. i dont have the time/extra cash for race roller but i also would like to compete so i would need a good rtr kit

what i have looked at:
ofna hyper 7
rc8
8ight 2.0- realy my fav because the remote and starter box but very expensive and not sure if its worth it.

i know this is prolly the popular question but i want the best rtr kit that will allow me to compete

thanks for help in advance
Old 11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by 92stanglx
hey guys im new here and had few questions. i have been into rc a couple years now and would lik to start racing here and there. i was wondering what the best rtr buggy kit is out there. i dont have the time/extra cash for race roller but i also would like to compete so i would need a good rtr kit

what i have looked at:
ofna hyper 7
rc8
8ight 2.0- realy my fav because the remote and starter box but very expensive and not sure if its worth it.

i know this is prolly the popular question but i want the best rtr kit that will allow me to compete

I don't have any experience with any of the above listed but I did buy the 8T2.0 RTR and spent 800 on it. I believe that it was a great RTR out of the box simply because of the starter box and radio. You could easily spend 250 on the radio and receiver alone and I believe the starter box sells for about 85 bucks on amain. That's how I justified the initial expense.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

what i have looked at:
ofna hyper 7
rc8

If your looking to compete,I would definately go with the losi rtr.The car is competetive and durable out of the box,and it comes with all the essentials(decent radio,starter box).With the others you mentioned you would have to buy a starter box and upgrade the radio first thing.Keep in mind you get what you pay for.You may save a few dollars to start with but in the end you will be spending the extra money anyway.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

does the losi 810 even compare to these other cars i have listed.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The RC8 is to me would be the pick. i bought one and raced it when I first started racing,handle well and are tough as nails but bang for buck the Losi would be hard to go past
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Losi for sure.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

are you only going to compete 1 time?
after a few compete you also need to rebuild the car.And that is more faster to do when you know how!
And then when u compete you will be bitten.And then by expensive servoes and stuff.
So in the longer run you will save money if you by a roller kitt...

I dont belive in short cuts here
Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The Losi RTR is a great kit to start with, far better than any of the others. You could save a little $ initially and go with the RC8, but you'll spend more in the long run buying a better radio and starter box.

I'm not a Losi fan at all, but it really is a solid car right out of the box other than the servos. But the servos are on par with any other RTR out there. They will all need to be upgraded. The radio is a really good one that will last you a long time, as well as the starter box. The motor that comes in the car is plenty fast and runs great. I've seen several of these and some friends had them, I can't say anything bad about it other than the servos.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

does the losi 810 even compare to these other cars i have listed.
No the 810 isn't really classified as a competiton vehicle.get the 2.0 and upgrade as needed.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Or you can opt for the new Hot Bodies D8S which is RTR but is nothing more than the actual D8. Same car that's ready to go. No cheap chassis or shock towers. It's being sold under the HPI name if you decide to research.
This will save you several dollars up front and allow you to purchase whatever starter box and radio equipment you want. I would suggest you hold a few different radios in your hand before making a purchase.

The Losi is good out of the box no doubt. Be prepared to replace both servos rather quickly and the RTR starter box isn't much either. I've worked on several and they are just a little bit better than being junk. On the positive, just add the kit version chassis and shock towers and you have the pro kit. This is a package deal but that's what makes it great, however, they are the only ones to do it, so it's pricey.

Note: The RTR starter box is different than the black Losi box sold seperate.

Remember to be parts support smart. Don't buy something that will take weeks to get parts for.

Best of luck

Last edited by Greg B; 11-08-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The RC8 is an excellent performer but comes with a .28 engine which might not be legal at your track if you plan to race. The buggy didn't change since its initial release.

The Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR is the best choice. It comes with a starter box, .21 engine, excellent radio and the buggy is also an excellent racer. More expensive but you get everything you need in the box except for the starter box batteries.

Forget the Losi 810.

The HotBodies D8S, I didn't see it yet but HB buggies are solid and are usually the best bang for the bucks.

Another option is to buy an used race roller and install your own engine and electronics.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

For under $500, the HPI D8S is a steal of a deal for a 1/8 buggy. The radio isn't fancy but you can adjust endpoints, as well as trim and dual rate. Also, it has a pull start which would mean not having to buy a starter battery. However this also means dealing with the headaches that a pull start has (gets tiring if you are having trouble starting the motor). One other thing to keep in mind is that the transmitter that comes with the Losi 8ight RTR has multi-model settings, so it can be used with multiple vehicles providing they have a Spektrum receiver. Just something to consider if you want to use one transmitter with more than one vehicle in the future.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

i would def use the remoe for multi vehicles so that will be nice. i have 2 monster trucks and have rebuil them so the buggy shouldnt be a bg deal. i will race more then once but not all the time.

i thnk i am just gonna save and go with the 8ight
if i do what parts should be modded first
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i thnk i am just gonna save and go with the 8ight
if i do what parts should be modded first
Nothing. Just have fun with it until something dies. Servos will probably go first. When mine died I sent them back and received free replacements. I put in a set of JR's and put the new losi ones in my parts bin as backups. There's a host of decent upgrades but again, nothing is needed right away.